dj123

Did you ever have to pay a sydiving "coach"

shouldn't this go in safety & training?

Maybe in GS - maybe even in Instuctors

My guess is that he doesn't use the search function very often and has no idea that this topic has been beaten to death, with the same responses and comments.

just sayin":D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Wrong forum. And in light of your heavy trolling over the past few days, well...

Actually this is the right forum.

I'm about to get on my soapbox and speak about how it used to be.

Listen up newbie!

Blue Skies,
DJ

Uh huh -

You do that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Hmmmm
June 1 2010

Didn’t someone involuntarily leave us about then? (refering to SC of course)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Have you ever had to pay a skydiving coach in order to meet license requirements ?

Blue Skies,
DJ

Whatchyoutalknboutwillis?
They had to pay ME I had so much Madskillz.
I taught Dan BC and Jim Wallace so much during AFF and my A license progression it was unreal.
And dayum, that was even before I could learn to skydive on this newfangled world wide web thing.

Back to your regular scheduled trolling:P

Have you ever had to pay a skydiving coach in order to meet license requirements ?

Blue Skies,
DJ

Whatchyoutalknboutwillis?
They had to pay ME I had so much Madskillz.
I taught Dan BC and Jim Wallace so much during AFF and my A license progression it was unreal.
And dayum, that was even before I could learn to skydive on this newfangled world wide web thing.

Back to your regular scheduled trolling:P

So it was you that taught the PD team to swoop then?

Yup, taught all of them skypuppies how to swoop on an old Nova!;)

Awesome!

what about that autmonauti stuff - I heard it was someone else that was you too?

Yup, taught all of them skypuppies how to swoop on an old Nova!;)

Ya know the nova got all the bad rap.
The design just previous to that was the Ariel.
It was never marketed.
I jumped and landed it twice.
The second time was just stupid.

Blue Skies,
DJ

Olav and Omar used to consult with me at Skydive Arizona all of the time. They were bored on their bellys and wanted something more challenging.
When I wasn't in the loft showing Weird Wayne how to do rigging, I would go up and show them my new skydiving tricks. It was difficult finding the time though since I was mentoring McGowan on how to film tandems and fun jumpers. Of course that all took my valuable time away from coaching BC, Kirk, Mark and Jack and their new little 4 way team they were starting.

Yep, a couple of times to get signed off on tracking, for one, then the check dive. Got one from a dude names DJ. Was that you? (I was the old fart with madskilz.)
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Here we go...

The idea of having to pay someone to jump with me is beyond my comprehension. What a load of arrogant skygod bullshit!!! Pay for your own fucking jumps! >:(

Sigh... I guess if you were an internationally known, corporate sponsored, world champion, taking time out from your busy training regimen, I may consider paying for your slot on the airplane in exchange for lengthy instruction and detailed debrief, etc. But if you've got a few hundred jumps and an attitude, you're more likely to get my boot up your ass. And I'll be damned if I give you a beer out of the case I just bought for my first whatever.

Gawd, what has the skydiving world come to?

Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

>What a load of arrogant skygod bullshit!

And then you say:

>I may consider paying for your slot

So you'll pay for someone who is a lot better than you if you feel the service he provides is valuable. Which is quite reasonable, and far from "arrogant skygod bullshit." And that's true whether the person in question has 200 jumps or 20,000.

Ya know the nova got all the bad rap.
The design just previous to that was the Ariel. ***

I had an ariel 170 for approximately 200 jumps, it flew and landed awesome, opened like a sledgehammer [:/]
even though I explained its opening characteristics when I sold it I think I still owe a Kapowsin jumper an apology - he's prolly shorter now than he was.

if they were not marketed was this a test model that I got?

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

And then you say:

So you'll pay for someone who is a lot better than you if you feel the service he provides is valuable. Which is quite reasonable, and far from "arrogant skygod bullshit." And that's true whether the person in question has 200 jumps or 20,000.

You're absolutely right. Either way it's insulting.

Part of skydiving is going to the dropzone to jump with people you know and people you don't know. Some of them are better than you and you'll learn from them. Some you would need to teach a thing or two to. At the end of the day, you will have had a great time, met new friends shared beers around the bonfire and it's all good.
The idea of paying for the exchange of experience just sucks donkey balls.
Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

>The idea of paying for the exchange of experience just sucks donkey balls.

To me the line is drawn by what you expect.

If you just want to jump, have fun and maybe learn a thing or two, great - there's room for that. If you want to get better fast and have someone dedicate some time to you, you may have to pay for that. There's room for that too.

And then you say:

paying someone's slot is entirely different than paying them. If someone wanted me to coach them, and they approached me asking for a service, I only asked that they cover the slot. We usually spent 30min or so before the jump with some planning and 15min or so after with a debrief. About half the time I did that kind of jump, I bought my own slot. Almost always, there was beer shared at the end of the day. when the coaches program got launched, my rating was pretty much pencil whipped based on the S&TA's knowledge of my abilities and prior coaching experience. Still think the whole program is a way to get rating $$ from members each year.
--
Rob