jf951

murder during a B an E, who's at fault?

ok so this thread
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4022009;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

along with a some what recent run in with one of my friends where 3 men were trying to break into his house, one jumped the fence and 2 were trying to kick in the door, when he welcomed them with a .45 in their face and they took off running and the police later caught them.

now my question is, and im sure it varies state to state, but assuming it is a CLEAR breaking an entering, if one of the invaders is shot by the home owner during that situation who is charged with the murder? is it the accomplices or is it the home owner. ive heard stories of both but no real definitive answer.
Jump more, Bitch less.

ok so this thread
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4022009;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

along with a some what recent run in with one of my friends where 3 men were trying to break into his house, one jumped the fence and 2 were trying to kick in the door, when he welcomed them with a .45 in their face and they took off running and the police later caught them.

now my question is, and im sure it varies state to state, but assuming it is a CLEAR breaking an entering, if one of the invaders is shot by the home owner during that situation who is charged with the murder? is it the accomplices or is it the home owner. ive heard stories of both but no real definitive answer.

There is no "Murder"....Your question makes no sense!

Self defence killing...Period!

reply]ok so this thread

Here is a recent case here in Central Florida.

You have 2 possibilities that aren't mutually exclusive.

1 - If it isn't considered self defense, then the homeowner could face charges. Those charges usually are in the area of voluntary manslaughter or 2nd degree murder depending on the laws of the state. There are certain requirements for it to be considered self defense. The general rule (again, it varies by jurisdiction) are Immediate, Unavoidable, Threat of death or great bodily injury, Defending someone you legally can (yourself always, others "depends") Defending against someone you legally can (it's almost impossible to claim self defense against a cop).

2 - The rest of the perpetrators would probably face "Felony Murder" charges. Anytime someone dies during the commission of a crime, the perpetrators can be charged with murder, even if the deceased is one of the perpetrators. There have been numerous cases of the criminals being charged with this when one of them is killed by the target of their crime.

So it's possible for everyone to be charged with somewhat different "murder" charges for the scenario you describe, although the surviving perps would probably face charges whether or not the claim of self defense stood up.

And off to SC we go;)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

assuming it is a CLEAR breaking an entering, if one of the invaders is shot by the home owner during that situation who is charged with the murder? is it the accomplices or is it the home owner.

Depends upon the state, the local laws, and the district attorney. But just because someone is killed doesn't mean that it's murder. Killing in justifiable self defense is not murder. If strangers have broken into your home and you fear for your life, then killing the intruders is perfectly legal.

Here's a local jewelry store owner who killed THREE robbers, perfectly legal:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7343008.html

ok so this thread

in georgia, the person who is commiting the crime must be inside your house (not on your property but actually inside), and you cant shoot them in the back if they try to flee. inside and facing you in order for it to be self defense. if not you get charged with at least manslaughter.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

you cant shoot them in the back if they try to flee. inside and facing you in order for it to be self defense.

I'm thinking that's pretty much going to be the case everywhere regarding self defense.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

and im sure it varies state to state, but assuming it is a CLEAR breaking an entering, if one of the invaders is shot by the home owner during that situation who is charged with the murder?

Here in UT you wouldn't be charged for "murder". It would be considered self defense.
Muff #5048

you cant shoot them in the back if they try to flee. inside and facing you in order for it to be self defense.

I'm thinking that's pretty much going to be the case everywhere regarding self defense.

You can in Texas. Not self-defense but you are allowed to shoot somebody to protect your property. Even in the back.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

You can in Texas. Not self-defense but you are allowed to shoot somebody to protect your property. Even in the back.

That's why I stated 'self defense' - the 'theft in the night' law is a bit different, and honestly, I think it would be hard to defend using the theft in the night law anymore.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In Texas you're required to shoot them if they flee. In Ontario, you must serve them cookies.

and im sure it varies state to state, but assuming it is a CLEAR breaking an entering, if one of the invaders is shot by the home owner during that situation who is charged with the murder?

Here in UT you wouldn't be charged for "murder". It would be considered self defense.

Anywhwre near Virgin? If so we can get together for a cold one, we go there a lot!:)

Anywhwre near Virgin? If so we can get together for a cold one, we go there a lot!:)

I'd love to get together with a virgin and give her some beer.:)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My rule of thumb is, you don't use deadly force to protect property, just lives. With that said, a WA homeowner shot and killed a teenage burglar in the dark who was trying to go back out the window. The homeowner claimed he couldn't tell the burglar's intentions and feared for his safety. No charges were filed.

I'm glad the law erred towards the homeowner, but I would feel crummy using deadly force in that situation. I've been scared before, and hope I would handle it better. [:/]

In Texas you're required to shoot them if they flee. In Ontario, you must serve them cookies.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Unfortunately, living in Canada, that is too close to the truth. A friend of mine who owns a store that specializes in knives, swords and other edged weapons has to keep on top of all the various laws regarding their use and sale.

I asked him once about keeping a blade near the bed for use in a situation like you described. He said that by keeping it there it would be taken that I had planned to use it and its use was therefore premeditated. Not good for me. He suggested keeping a hammer there with some picture hanging materials. I don't like the situation up here. Don't let it get like that down there.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

It's not quite that clear-cut - there are conditions attached to it.

If a thief is fleeing, you can only legally shoot the thief in the back if:
- It is night time,
- The property cannot be recovered by any other means, and
- The use of less than deadly force would expose the actor to the risk of death or serious bodily injury.