airdvr

I'm beginning to re-think my views on taxation.

The rich only need to worry about guillotines when their own private armies and private security forces turn on them. As long as the rich keep some well supplied well armed loyalists happy, they need not worry about losing anything ... but a little sleep after their orgies living the life of luxury. It's the way it's always been and it is the way it always will be.

If you want to start a revolution against the rich, you are going to have to find some other real world venue other than the internet. All the internet has done is create a place for people to gather and whine about the rich (or LOL whine about big government bureaucracy) as well as created a breeding ground for spam and computer viruses.

Usually all those "loyalists" are long dead by the time the "crowds" get their spectacle.

I still think having private armies in this country is a pretty bad idea. It seems to work on a small scale in third world shitholes for drug lords and "war" lords ... but they seem to die on a rather regular basis as well as a lot of their minions.

Oh and if you have not been to very many third world shitholes... most of them ARE shit holes because of the VERY few who control all the wealth and have their little private armies while doing absolutely squat for their country.

[ People who are in favor of inheritance and net worth taxes only want it because they rely on the "big government with it's massive bureaucracy" because they feel it is the government's job to spend spend spend and spend even more money without ever thinking government has gotten too big and too bloated with no shortage of self entitled lemmings lining up to feed off of the tax payers tit.

Blatantly false.

Lots of us would like govt. spending reduced, we do NOT depend on govt. handouts, yet we think an inheritance tax is a good idea.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[ People who are in favor of inheritance and net worth taxes only want it because they rely on the "big government with it's massive bureaucracy" because they feel it is the government's job to spend spend spend and spend even more money without ever thinking government has gotten too big and too bloated with no shortage of self entitled lemmings lining up to feed off of the tax payers tit.

Blatantly false.

Lots of us would like govt. spending reduced, we do NOT depend on govt. handouts, yet we think an inheritance tax is a good idea.

Never bought into the death taxes. If it's a good idea it just means you didn't do a good enough job while they were alive.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Never bought into the death taxes. If it's a good idea it just means you didn't do a good enough job while they were alive.

It's because you've bought into the misnomer "death tax."

It's not a death tax. It's not a tax on the dead. It's an income tax same as if the person had won the lottery, which, essentially, they did by being named in a will (typically as a result of the chance meeting of male and female zygotes).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Blatantly false.

How easily the wealthy have duped people like you by misnaming a tax they don't like.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Damn, Timmy! Good stuff!

Stolen joke:
I'm working on my second million...I gave up on the first.

All you guys that have the big $$$...I don't hate you...I envy you! Would you like to adopt a son?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It's because you've bought into the misnomer "death tax."

It's not a death tax. It's not a tax on the dead. It's an income tax same as if the person had won the lottery, which, essentially, they did by being named in a will (typically as a result of the chance meeting of male and female zygotes).

So you buy into the Bawny Fwank thinking of "they did nothing to earn it"?

I've also been around long enough to know that most folks who accumulate that kind of wealth didn't do it through channels available to you and I,

I'm curious to know what channels that are available to them are not available to you.

I still think having private armies in this country is a pretty bad idea.

We have them already.
Only now they are called:
- Lobbyists
- Tax lawyers
- Campaign workers

How easily the wealthy have duped people like you by misnaming a tax they don't like.

Sorta like those who support it have been duped by the greedy "I-want-a-piece-of-the-action-even-though-I-didn't-earn-it" bozos into calling it an Inheritance Tax?

Blatantly false.

The name means nothing
And it is not a tax

It is theft
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I think it might be you who assumes. I never made any of the claims you assert. It's pure speculation on my part that they don't pay their fair share of taxes, that they earned their money of the backs of the laborers, and are probably fucking you and I over even as we speak.

Wonder which one of us would be closer to the truth?;)

It certainly sounds like you are assuming (speculating-a fancy way of saying assume).

The prices are in Euros. It is priced to keep average folks out...period. For no other reason than to make sure we don't see this type of wealth. And it's earned off the blood, sweat, and tears of the sub-par man.

Do they have a right to do this? I say yes. But open your eyes people and see the light. I don't think they are paying their fair share for the common good of the system that allows them to earn this kind of wealth.

That's some fine assuming you got there. :D With no fact to back them up.

spec·u·la·tion

a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.

conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.

The decade of the 80's was from 1980 to 1989. 10 years. If you remove 1980 and 1989 you have 1981 to 1988. 8 years.

Blatantly false.

Call it what you like John. For me it's quacking and has feathers.

Assuming the person receiving the inheritance has come upon a windfall that is taxable is a hoot, and even the great wealth I saw doesn't change my feelings on this one. The person who amassed the wealth that is now passed down to their heirs didn't specify that he wanted any of it to go to the government. That wealth was supposedly gained inside the bounds of the system and the government has received their due.

Now, we need to adjust the way we tax the super-rich while they are still using up oxygen.

Destinations by Roxanne

Agreed.
That money has already been repeatedly taxed - from income, to investments, to capital gains...now it runs the chance of up to 18% state inheritance to 50% government inheritance taxes?
Government theft of money is all I see.

We seem to be steering towards removing all drive to succeed and become wealthy. This approach will create the loss of jobs. Someday, only the government will have the money. hmmm...wonder how that has worked historically????
:S[:/]

ssshhh money isn't taxed - people are.

(what drive do the children of the super rich have to succeed)

None? I don't know the answer but I do believe that is none of the government's business.

Destinations by Roxanne

you want to tax the super rich - but not their children who just get a free ride for the rest of their unworking life?

odd.

Won't their children become the next group of super-rich and fall under the hand of the taxing authorities?

Destinations by Roxanne

you want to tax the super rich - but not their children who just get a free ride for the rest of their unworking life?

odd.

Won't their children become the next group of super-rich and fall under the hand of the taxing authorities?

yes, it's called an inheritance tax.

(let the children earn their own money rather than scrounging off their parents)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

odd.

(let the children earn their own money rather than scrounging off their parents)

This is where most liberal thinkers lose me. It's not the government's decision whether or not they are scrounging off their parents.

Destinations by Roxanne

odd.

This is where most liberal thinkers lose me. It's not the government's decision whether or not they are scrounging off their parents.

they're also scrounging off of us - who pay taxes and do the work that feeds them.

odd.

they're also scrounging off of us - who pay taxes and do the work that feeds them.

OK..I'll go with that possibility. Fix the system that allows them to scrounge off the gov't.

Destinations by Roxanne

odd.

OK..I'll go with that possibility. Fix the system that allows them to scrounge off the gov't.

and fix the system that allows them to scrounge of us - the rest of society who do the actual work

I think that the definition of "fair share" might be interpreted differently by different people, particularly when applied to taxes.

What should it reflect?
  • the amount you consume from what you're contributing to?
  • a set percentage of your income?
  • the amount you consume in general?
    [some equivalent amount of inconvenience?

It's not at all hard to say that the uber-rich (and they do exist) are not particularly inconvenienced by the taxes they pay; not to the degree that we are. I don't think that should mean that everyone should have to save up for a used Chevy Cobalt.

But I've been to St. Barth's too, and with some other rich folks. It's different. I have plenty, and don't really resent it on my behalf. But I can remember a boyfriend who put himself through college working in a steel mill in Houston in the summer (it's hot). My mother was playing bridge at that time with a woman who was remodeling. She spent $16000 (that was more than 4 years' tuition at the private school I was at) on new columns for the front of her house. Then she decided she didn't like the color, and so she spent more for new ones. And she was whining about how long it was taking and the fact that she had to provide a bathroom for the workmen.

Mom quit playing with that group because it pissed her off too much.

Wendy P.
    There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)