mirage62

Do the "rich" really PAY this much?

Wendy, let me ask IF these numbers are correct...don't you think it's possible that the so called rich are being very generous? I understand it isn't a total choice but they do seem to pay a lot more.

BTW who said "fuck'em" not me. As for "luck" I guess we can assume that everyone - or the majority - of anyone that made it were just lucky.

Right.

I had dinner at the house of a "so called" rich guy last week. He has a Falcon 50 12 seater jet. a FLEET of 40' racing yachts, 2 houses in Key West, 2 houses in Chicago, a house in Aspen and one in San Francisco. An Aston Martin that he doesn't like so he doesn't drive it any more. He has 12 servants. He invited 600 of Chicago's Beautiful People to his Christmas party (picture attached)..

I don't know about the "so called" - I think he is just plain rich and can well afford his tax rate.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[Reply]According to you that person should be willing, even before the tax rates have been raised, to voluntarily send cash to the treasury on his own.

No. Of course, that would eliminate all doubt.

But buffet's sheltering of every asset he has except 1% is a good indication that he doesn't think taxes are a decent use of his money...

I purposely made it a general question to see if this litmus test was specific to Warren Buffett or applied to others as well.

Does someone who is well off though not a billionaire and is in favor of higher taxes have to prove their sincerity by deliberately not taking tax deductions?

I'm thinking that 'do what I say, not what I do' isn't very convincing - but I suppose I could be wrong.

As usual, you are. His position (and mine) is that ALL billiionaires should pay more, not just him.

Exactly - just because someone considers it a need doesn't make it one.

So I guess only YOU are qualified to say what is a need and what is a want?

Nonsense. It's pretty easy to come to a consensus on what needs are, and it's already been done.

Needs:
1) a habitable residence. This includes secure doors, unbroken windows, a non leaking roof, heating, potable water, and safe wiring.
2) food of a nutritious manner and of sufficient calories. Check the rules on food stamps, or which grocery items CA chooses to tax and not tax. There is some fuzziness with the snack tax, but it's not make or break decisions.
3) clothing, including viable shoes, and coats suitable for the local winter climate
4) medical care that at a minimum covers threats to life. Many argue for a much higher standard, and our national standard is moving that way with the recent legislation.
5) education for the children.

From a tax standpoint, one might choose not to tax mass transit. It's not an actual need, but urban traffic infrastructure benefits. Likewise, a car is not a need.

TVs are purely recreational. It's absolutely not a need, and no justifiable reason to recluse it from a consumption tax. If you totaled up all working TVs in the country right now, I expect they would outnumber people.

OTOH, you could opt to tax used TVs (and cars) at a lower rate, or a zero rate, if the desire was to discourage consumption. (Though since most used TVs are sold in private transactions, they're unlikely to get taxed no matter what the law is)

So while you are bringing up the 'poor' what about the guy that makes one dollar over the 'poor' threshold and now wants that candy bar? He is paying more as a % of income for that luxury than the millionaire that bought the same thing.

That's already the case with sales taxes now, and its already the case with the retail price of the candy bar in the first place. They both pay the same 99 cents for the candy bar, and let's say 22 cents in tax. Every like expenditure the two make will be less dear for the millionaire. That's life.

Currently dividends and capital gains (LT) are taxed at 15%. This is where the majority of the annual "earnings" for the highly rich come from. Switching to a consumption tax at a rate in the 20s may represent a tax increase.

Or may not. Most presentations stick to selling the simplistic nature, when nothing about our method of taxation is remotely simple. And when you look at the large number of 'tax earmarks' on the debated tax bill, you can imagine what a flat tax bill would really look like, even at year 0.

I think he is just plain rich and can well afford his tax rate

I wouldn't know because I don't get invited to these 'elitist' parties. I'm just common folk.

Sucks to be you.

[Reply]He has a Falcon 50 12 seater jet

Awesome that he is employing those people who provide the materials for the bird, manufacture the bird, maintain the bird and fly the bird and all those who support them. He could have just purchased art from a dead guy but he is keeping people employed.

[Reply]
rich guy last week. He has a Falcon 50 12 seater jet. a FLEET of 40' racing yachts,

Awesome that he is employing those people who provide the materials for the yachts, manufacture the yachts, maintain the yachts and sail the yachts and all those who support them. He could have just purchased art from a dead guy but he is keeping people employed.

[Reply]2 houses in Key West, 2 houses in Chicago, a house in Aspen and one in San Francisco

Awesome that he is spending money, paying property taxes. Supporting the economy, etc.

[Reply]An Aston Martin that he doesn't like so he doesn't drive it any more.

Okay. You've got me on this one..

[Reply]He has 12 servants.

What? They should be on unemployment!!! What an asshole, taking 12 people off of government rolls. He doesn't need 12 people but he's paying them money that they can use for food, housing, etc? Jeez. I'd really hate him if he paid for their health insurance. What an evil guy!"

[Reply]He invited 600 of Chicago's Beautiful People to his Christmas party

Hmmm. Did he employ caterers, decorators, etc.? How darte he do his part to spread the wealth by employing people!!! I guess private citizens shouldn't be be spending money. Think of what that does to the economy!!!

[Reply]I think he is just plain rich and can well afford his tax rate.

Indeed! In fact, take the wages of his 12 servants and tax him that amount. Add the plane, the yachts and the amount he spent on the party. Such is not allowable. Instead of employing people, the money should go to the government. Rather than employing 12 servants, unemplloying 12 servants is, as a Congressperson recently said, the best thing we can do for our economy.

Jeez, John. Thank you for explaining how wasteful this guy is. How dare he employ people he doesn't need. He can give the money to the government, unemploy them, and the government can use that money to blow up ragheads or get unaccounted for in Iraq.

Edited to add: next thing you know, you'll find out he gave them bonuses and bought Christmas presents. What a wealthy, rich, greedy egalitarian asshole. He should be imprisoned. Paying people? Buying things? How dare he. Who is it? I'll fuck him up!

P.s. - the guy sounds like a Chicago civil servant. With that kind of money and power...

My wife is hotter than your wife.