Who is behind Wikileaks?

I believe there are plenty of diggers and UK troops who may also be placed at additional risk because of these leaks.

Not quite sure what you mean by diggers?

Finally to re-iterate I think this is embarrassing and not much more. Quote another site.

According to tweets from German-speaking Twitter users who snagged an embargoed copy of this week's Der Spiegel (cover above), the cache of over 250,000 confidential diplomatic cables may be a bit of a let-down. At least from the German point of view there are no earth-shattering revelations, just a lot of candid talk about German leaders. Angela Merkel is praised as "teflon," while German foreign minister Guido Westerwelle is repeatedly bashed. There is talk of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's "wild parties," (duh) and Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is likened to Hitler. The cables also show Obama has "no emotional relationship with Europe," focusing instead on Asian countries, according to Der Spiegel

"Diggers" = Australian soldiers

I really don't believe this guy went to all this trouble to start a adolescent squabble over who called whom what.

And while this wikileaks stuff is going on, the US is running around shutting down torrent index sites. Bloody brilliant.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It seems to me that, during wartime, a person who is knowingly and intentionally publishing operational or political information that is sensitive or potentially deadly or damaging to that war effort should be considered to be a legitimate military target. I say take his ass out (also the "leakers" who are entrusted with this info). His motives are obvious to me. (My opinion only, of course). I would expect that the "other side" would do the same with a similar "irritant" undermining their cause.

I agree. But technically that could very quickly descend into the US being at war with its allies. Julian is Australian for example. Of course this is only relevant to Iraq and Afghanistan. The US is not at war with the UK so someone releasing confidential documentation that is embarrassing to the US is not an act of war in my opinion.

I believe there are plenty of diggers and UK troops who may also be placed at additional risk because of these leaks.

Edit to add: So if he's Australian then he is committing treason against Australia. Likewise, British newspapers that elect to publish sensitive information endangering British troops is committing treason against the UK.

I'm not saying that I agree with what Wikileaks are doing (Because I don't) but looking at this dispassionately its yet to be shown that any lives have been put at risk let alone UK and Commonwealth troops. Treason? Unlikely, breach of the OSA, possibly.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It seems to me that, during wartime, a person who is knowingly and intentionally publishing operational or political information that is sensitive or potentially deadly or damaging to that war effort should be considered to be a legitimate military target. I say take his ass out (also the "leakers" who are entrusted with this info). His motives are obvious to me. (My opinion only, of course). I would expect that the "other side" would do the same with a similar "irritant" undermining their cause.

I agree. But technically that could very quickly descend into the US being at war with its allies. Julian is Australian for example. Of course this is only relevant to Iraq and Afghanistan. The US is not at war with the UK so someone releasing confidential documentation that is embarrassing to the US is not an act of war in my opinion.

Edit to add: So if he's Australian then he is committing treason against Australia. Likewise, British newspapers that elect to publish sensitive information endangering British troops is committing treason against the UK.

I'm not saying that I agree with what Wikileaks are doing (Because I don't) but looking at this dispassionately its yet to be shown that any lives have been put at risk let alone UK and Commonwealth troops. Treason? Unlikely, breach of the OSA, possibly.

Well, the leaks can only be intended to undermine and sabotage the war effort. But I suppose the governments of Australia and the UK would have to determine if this guy's (and the Guardian's) actions rise to treason. To the US he is complicit in acts of espionage or at the very least he's an enemy propagandist. Out of the quarter million "cables" to be released just one containing a military secret that places a single soldier at unnecessary risk would be enough for me (IMO).

in a german news article it was stated, that the majority of the info wikileaks is spreading comes from within the u.s. or to be more precise from the "Secret Internet Protocol Router Networks (SIPRNet)" that was established in the beginning of the 1990ies. some 2,5 million people from government and military have access to this network and material labeled top secret is available for approx 850.000 americans. (numbers quoted from the article). so who do you want to take out and where would you like to start?
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

some 2,5 million people from government and military have access to this network and material labeled top secret is available for approx 850.000 americans. (numbers quoted from the article). so who do you want to take out and where would you like to start?

Stalin would have taken them all out.

some 2,5 million people from government and military have access to this network and material labeled top secret is available for approx 850.000 americans. (numbers quoted from the article). so who do you want to take out and where would you like to start?

I'm good with just the one guy they caught so far. Of course, "take him out" would mean kiss his ass for a few years while we wring our hands over how to not to make him uncomfortable in any way while we try to find someone else to blame his actions on.

in a german news article it was stated, that the majority of the info wikileaks is spreading comes from within the u.s. or to be more precise from the "Secret Internet Protocol Router Networks (SIPRNet)" that was established in the beginning of the 1990ies. some 2,5 million people from government and military have access to this network and material labeled top secret is available for approx 850.000 americans. (numbers quoted from the article). so who do you want to take out and where would you like to start?

Yes that was covered on the radio this morning. 2.5million people is alot.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Well, the leaks can only be intended to undermine and sabotage the war effort.

Actually there is very little to impact on the war in Afghanistan so far released. In fact this would be a most brilliant sting if only the CIA were that switched on. Bradley Manning a US soldier could have been recruited by the intelligence agency and given a load of gossip marked secret and classified, in among which are several compelling arguments for a war with Iran. reports of Iran sponsoring terrorism on an unprecedented scale, the public announcement that many countries in the region actively seek a war with Iran; something that could never be said officially. Many reports on Iranian assassination attempts which will anger many. The price of which is some low grade gossip and a couple of red faces. In return the hawks get another step closer to a war with Iran they've been wanting for decades.... if only the CIA were that switched on.

As for the head of Wikileaks he is a Australian so I don't see how he could be tried for treason against a country that he is not a citizen of. The Guardian (and every other paper who reported this would have run it through their lawyers before going to press. Besides, its the intelligence of a foreign nation so its really the US that is getting its knickers in a twist not the UK government. The freedom of the press to print this is beyond the US Government to stop.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Well, the leaks can only be intended to undermine and sabotage the war effort.

Actually there is very little to impact on the war in Afghanistan so far released. In fact this would be a most brilliant sting if only the CIA were that switched on. Bradley Manning a US soldier could have been recruited by the intelligence agency and given a load of gossip marked secret and classified, in among which are several compelling arguments for a war with Iran. reports of Iran sponsoring terrorism on an unprecedented scale, the public announcement that many countries in the region actively seek a war with Iran; something that could never be said officially. Many reports on Iranian assassination attempts which will anger many. The price of which is some low grade gossip and a couple of red faces. In return the hawks get another step closer to a war with Iran they've been wanting for decades.... if only the CIA were that switched on.

As for the head of Wikileaks he is a Australian so I don't see how he could be tried for treason against a country that he is not a citizen of. The Guardian (and every other paper who reported this would have run it through their lawyers before going to press. Besides, its the intelligence of a foreign nation so its really the US that is getting its knickers in a twist not the UK government. The freedom of the press to print this is beyond the US Government to stop.

That's a pretty interesting take on the leaks. We'll have to see what kind of stuff is actually found in the cables after all .25 million of them are reviewed and interpreted for us by the various news "filters".

You say that like it is a bad thing.

...so its really the US that is getting its knickers in a twist not the UK government.

Soooooo true.

The freedom of the press to print this is beyond the US Government to stop.

Hmmmmm...wanna bet?
If Aussieland will protect him from extradition, then a qualified "maybe".

Kidnapping people from foreign countries is not beyond the US government.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...so its really the US that is getting its knickers in a twist not the UK government.

Soooooo true.

Hmmmmm...wanna bet?

:D:D

The Washington Compost states that because the climate gate emails were illegally obtained they can not post them

Do they do the same with these?

Another liberal rag joke:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Soooooo true.

Hmmmmm...wanna bet?

People have found themselves in deep dark holes in third world shitholes for far less.

One of the largest complaints regarding government shortcomings in the lead up to 9/11 was a lack of intelligence sharing between the military, state department, and the alphabet soup. They tended to guard things from each other. ...and this is why.

And now the leaks seem to possibly initiate doubt between the Chinese and North Koreans.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101130/twl-china-would-support-unified-korea-41f21e0.html

So far I haven't seen anything that is of real embarssament to the USA.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

So...now "they" have come up with something to justify their gagging Julian Assange.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20101201/twl-wanted-global-alert-on-wikileaks-fou-3fd0ae9.html
---------------------
Interpol has put out a worldwide alert on WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange as it tries to trace him over sex attack allegations.

The international crime fighting agency has issued a "Red Notice" for the Australian who has hit the headlines over his whistleblowing website.

WikiLeaks has recently sparked global controversy for leaking thousands of classified US diplomatic cables.

But the alert is not in connection with the secret messages.

The "Red Notice" allows arrest warrants issued in one country to be circulated to other nations to help with arrests and possible extradition.

It asks people to contact police if they have any information about where the suspect is, but the notice itself is not an arrest warrant.

Mr Assange is wanted in Sweden over allegations of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion - all of which he denies.
---------------

If the charges are true. I wonder how long its been out there and just now being used to track him down. timing is everything, eh?

My knee-jerk reaction is that it's something bogus trying to turn public sentiment against him but that may be my distrust of government speaking.

I particularly like the part that says, "But the alert is not in connection with the secret messages."

U.S. policy seems to be, "Mess with me, boy, and we'll fuck you up..somehow, someway!"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239