dgskydive

I hope this becomes a trend. Way to go Sanford Florida! Bye bye TSA!!

As I said in another thread, it may not make much difference:

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/18/131427580/airports-weigh-congressman-s-call-to-ditch-tsa

Private contractors are not a cure-all for passengers aggrieved about taking off their shoes for security checks, passing through full-body scanners or getting hand-frisked. For example, contractors must follow all TSA-mandated security procedures, including hand pat-downs when necessary.

Apparently SFO's been using private contractors all along ... I fly out of Oakland much more than SFO but I can't recall a noticeable difference in process at SFO.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I agree. The only difference is your going to get your body cavity search from a contractor instead of a government agent.

The TSA points out that even if an airport decides to use a private firm for security, the screeners still must follow TSA guidelines. That would include using enhanced pat-downs and the full-body scanners if they are installed at the airport.

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I agree. The only difference is your going to get your body cavity search from a contractor instead of a government agent.

That is true. They have to follow the same "safety" procedures. But I think the fact that these private companies will do a better job of training there people then the TSA does. At least if these private companies mess up...they can be fired and a new one brought in. With the TSA we really cant do shit about them. At least not as easy as we could with a private company.
Dom

At least if these private companies mess up...they can be fired and a new one brought in. With the TSA we really cant do shit about them. At least not as easy as we could with a private company.

How does this reasoning make sense in a thread where the article listed in the OP talks about how the contract with TSA was terminated at Sanford Airport?

That is true. They have to follow the same "safety" procedures. But I think the fact that these private companies will do a better job of training there people then the TSA does.

Why would you necessarily think that? You don't think private companies are likely to cut corners to keep the bottom line as low as possible? And/or - would charge higher fees, which could be passed on to the consumer? Perhaps even more so than the public sector, because a private company seeks to maximize profits? What about examples such as Halliburton, or private security contractors working for the US in Iraq? Or the travesty of private prisons? ( Read this article: "US: America's Private Gulag.")

At least if these private companies mess up...they can be fired and a new one brought in. With the TSA we really cant do shit about them. At least not as easy as we could with a private company.

Maybe; but on the other hand, a government agency is probably subject to more direct public and media scrutiny than a private company, where it's a lot easier to hide the ball (and the books).

My family originally homesteaded all of that area in the 1820's.
Our family should have told the guvmint where to stick it back in the early 1940's with the land grab they pulled all across the US and there would not even be an Orlando-Sanford Airpot there in the first place. That was a rather unpopular thing to do at the time... what with the war effort.. but the family got majorly boned by the War Department and the NAVY.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH9#JnE9LkNhbWVyb24rQ2l0eStGTCU3ZXNzdC4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj02MS4yMTEwMjYyNDA3MTY5JTdlLTg4Ljk4NzM0Mzc0OSU3ZTI5LjY1NzQ5ODA1MDcyMDclN2UtMTU1LjQzMjY1NjI0OQ==

>But I think the fact that these private companies will do a better job
>of training there people then the TSA does.

Hmm. I would tend to think they'd do less of a good job, because being a private company they're likely to pay their people less - and since they will be drawing from a small local pool, their selection will be smaller.

>At least if these private companies mess up...they can be fired and a new
>one brought in.

So can the TSA. I don't see too much difference there.

>one brought in.

Well, yes, there kinda is a difference. TSA is government employed union workers.:P
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

>one brought in.

Well, yes, there kinda is a difference. TSA is government employed union workers.:P

They are not union yet but they have now been given the green light to vote on it[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>TSA is government employed union workers.

And private companies may well use underpaid guards who couldn't make it in the demanding fast food industry. While you can argue both are bad, neither is guaranteed to be better than others.

Really? I dont think the TSA could be defined any different

What do you base this on?
Abraham Lincoln

>What do you base this on?

That private companies hire the cheapest employees they can get away with.

Is that a rule or a belief?

I ask this because I know it to be untrue.

I could get a less experianced carpenter to put the cabinets in, and pay him 12 to 15 dollars an hour.

I use the guy that I know has more experiene and pay him 20 dollars a hour.

It is usually worth it. Sometimes you end up with the employee becoming too much of a perfectionist in his work, dipping into your profits a little, but then you end up with a better product and a likely return of customer.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>What do you base this on?

That private companies hire the cheapest employees they can get away with.

Is that a rule or a belief?

I ask this because I know it to be untrue.

I could get a less experianced carpenter to put the cabinets in, and pay him 12 to 15 dollars an hour.

I use the guy that I know has more experiene and pay him 20 dollars a hour.

It is usually worth it. Sometimes you end up with the employee becoming too much of a perfectionist in his work, dipping into your profits a little, but then you end up with a better product and a likely return of customer.

I know it is untrue to

I am just glad he posted this[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

And private companies may well use underpaid guards who couldn't make it in the demanding fast food industry. While you can argue both are bad, neither is guaranteed to be better than others.

I beg to differ. A non- union emlpoyee knows that if he doesn't perform, he can get fired. A union employee knows that to get fired, his boss needs to get through a layer of money hungry lawyers.:ph34r:

>I ask this because I know it to be untrue.

Then you do not understand capitalism.

>Sometimes you end up with the employee becoming too much of a
>perfectionist in his work, dipping into your profits a little, but then you
>end up with a better product and a likely return of customer.

And if you could get exactly the same skill in an employee who asked for 60 dollars an hour, which would you go with?

(Assuming you have a business, which I know you don't.)

I beg to differ. A non- union emlpoyee knows that if he doesn't perform, he can get fired. A union employee knows that to get fired, his boss needs to get through a layer of money hungry lawyers.:ph34r:

See? Every cloud has its silver lining.

>>>And if you could get exactly the same skill in an employee who asked for 60 dollars an hour, which would you go with?

That is extremely unlikely unless the one with experience doesn't know their worth, or the inexperienced one is over reaching.

>>>(Assuming you have a business, which I know you don't.)

You do?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun