rhys

Is the world economy gonna fall on its ass again soon?

I have been watching the exchange rates quite closely for the past few months as I am buying and selling some tandem equipment in and the US dollar determines whether or not I sell or buy the equipment.

Today, just before close many currencies jumped $0.01 and now the canadian dollar is at .98 the Australian is .97... NZ is at .745

Last time it was like this was immediately prior to the econimic collapse in 2008.

Do you think US economy/dollar can handle being so weak, It is great for me because I pay about 20% less for the Sigma I want, you would think that it would be good for the USA because US made products are less expensive. However, as much of the US products have moved manufacture over seas... this is bad for the american people.

What are your gas prices doing right now?

If it falls on its ass again, people will freak out and buy US dollars and gold.

This would put the Aussie back down to .70 and the kiwi back about .59...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

The price of gasoline in the US is an incredibly poor indicator of the health of its economy. US gasoline prices are substantially lower than almost any other country with the exception of major oil producing countries in the middle east.

How do we do it? Volume, volume, volume.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Don't worry, it won't be the whole world economy, just the United States. The Fed is determined to bring us inflation and a worthless dollar, and there isn't anything anybody else can do about it, sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udT3dbbryEU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ECi6WJpbzE
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

The price of gasoline in the US is an incredibly poor indicator of the health of its economy. US gasoline prices are substantially lower than almost any other country with the exception of major oil producing countries in the middle east.

How do we do it? Volume, volume, volume.

Taxes which aren't punitive.

When I looked in February 2010, US wholesale gasoline prices in some places were $1.85 a gallon while UK prices were 32p a liter which was the same $1.85 per US gallon.

At same time UK gas tax was .5619 pounds per liter or $3.23 a gallon at the time. The UK puts a 15% Value Added Tax on top of the whole thing, which at February retail prices of $6.51 was $.98 a gallon for $4.21 a gallon in taxes.

US federal gas taxes are only $.272 a gallon, with a state average of 18.4 cents making the average $.456 a gallon - 1/9th those of the UK.

The reason why I asked, is that immediately prior to the collapse, the price of gas was higer than it had ever been in the US (which was on par with what the rest of the world was paying for the previous decade), Americans were doing it tough due to that price increase.

Expensive gas = expensive food and expensive anything that needs to be shipped in vehicles.

It all peaked just before the collapse.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

The reason why I asked, is that immediately prior to the collapse, the price of gas was higer than it had ever been in the US (which was on par with what the rest of the world was paying for the previous decade), Americans were doing it tough due to that price increase.

No. You have your facts wrong. Please see attached.

While you will see that gas prices peaked around June of 2008, they were still considerably lower than most countries around the world.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/01/news/international/usgas_price/

The price of gasoline had nothing at all to do with the financial crisis of of late 2008.
quade -

Taxes which aren't punitive.

As well as oil subsidies from the US which are paid for by completely different taxes.

One way or another the US pays. The issue is whether it's immediately obvious or not at the pump.

Sure, some governments put the tax right at the pumps; where it belongs, but we in the US have very "nifty" lobbying groups that like to decouple things like that.
quade -

The price of gasoline had nothing at all to do with the financial crisis of of late 2008.

Didn;t say it did, i just wondered if the rising gas pris may have been related to the low valued US $.

Do you suppose the aussie and canadian being almost on par may have had something to do with it...

the Fed just keeps in getting the money printed, and the fed has never been audited or had its books 'looked at' since its inception.

I'm sure if it was audited the US

economy would instantly fall on its ass.

it not like you have gold in the vault anymore...

How do you feel the dollar being so weak will effect the coming year?

Without geting embroiled in the ongoing debate on fuel prices, I believe that it is not a matter of 'is' the world economy going to fall on its ass? Simply a matter of when, as the whole system its based on at this point is intrinsicly flawed.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Without geting embroiled in the ongoing debate on fuel prices, I believe that it is not a matter of 'is' the world economy going to fall on its ass? Simply a matter of when, as the whole system its based on at this point is intrinsicly flawed.

I agree with you. Nothing substantial has been fixed, we have just moved the debt around (I see you are in Ireland - so you are well aware of the problems!).

I think that the UK is particularly vulnerable as we don't produce enough to warrant our lifestyle as a nation. Luckily the government is doing pretty much everything it can to cut back on the debt as quickly as possible despite the bitching so that should help us. It is worrying that the US is digging itself deeper and quicker into debt to try and stabilize things (my personal view is this is short term political expediency and based on a policy of leave the next lot of politicians to take the heat and pick up the mess).
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I agree with Nigel. As for Ireland, it was anounced this week that Anglo Irsh will take another 34 Billion Euro to bail and AIB a further 3-4 BIllion. Its a shocking state of afairs and one which isn't over yet. There is a drip feed of disasterous news regarding the state of the economy in Ireland and we haven't heard the last of it yet.
Unfortunatly the budgetary cuts that are required in Ireland are such that they will and are driving international business away from the country (HP will be leaving within the next two years, following in the footsteps of Dell and costing up to another five thousand jobs) GE are almost out entirely and one can only wonder how Siemens have managed to secure so many infrastructure and government contracts ;);)
All in all its only a matter of time before the country officially goes the way of Greece and wrecks carnage upon the Euro.

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/stephanieflanders/2010/09/the_32_of_gdp_question.html

Opinion on Irelands finances. The thing that interests me, is what jobs are "secure" in a global downturn? I guess the worlds oldest profession is pretty stable, but I can't really think of any others. I am in the design business and amazingly we are busier than ever before (partly due to companies cutting back internal resources and moving to outsourced partners) but you get the impression that this is temporary. Lead times for electronic components are now back to what they were in the late 1990's and early 2000 at 20+ weeks, which is interesting.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I have been watching the exchange rates quite closely for the past few months as I am buying and selling some tandem equipment in and the US dollar determines whether or not I sell or buy the equipment.

Today, just before close many currencies jumped $0.01 and now the canadian dollar is at .98 the Australian is .97... NZ is at .745

Last time it was like this was immediately prior to the econimic collapse in 2008.

Do you think US economy/dollar can handle being so weak, It is great for me because I pay about 20% less for the Sigma I want, you would think that it would be good for the USA because US made products are less expensive. However, as much of the US products have moved manufacture over seas... this is bad for the american people.

If it falls on its ass again, people will freak out and buy US dollars and gold.

If the world economy collapses, it has to be the fault of the Jews, they controll everything.

I landed off yesterday and I just know some Jew had to have been behind it.

If the world economy collapses, it has to be the fault of the Jews, they controll everything.

I think Borat would be down with that.

I could mock you for using irrelvant points, and accusing me of racism, but you are simply not worth it.

You and your croonie post whore mates are everything that is wrong with this website, you are more interted in attacking others that discussing topics.

I could mock you for using irrelvant points, and accusing me of racism, but you are simply not worth it.
You and your croonie post whore mates are everything that is wrong with this website, you are more interted in attacking others that discussing topics.

did you read post 18 ? and the link ?

did you read post 18 ? and the link ?

You see the difference between me and you is that I can understand the importance of tax, and of a certain element of government control, it is important for the people to have a voice and for each of us to look after each other.

The government fails to be the voice of the people, when the people allow the government to ignore their voice.

You see the difference between me and you is that I can understand the importance of tax, and of a certain element of government control, it is important for the people to have a voice and for each of us to look after each other.

The government fails to be the voice of the people, when the people allow the government to ignore their voice.

That is an interesting comment as it is one of the key reasons that John Rich quotes for gun ownership.