Calvin19

wait... "god" is supposed to be capitalized?

>But to make your analogy applicable to our discussion, if I kept finding pots
>of gold at the ends of rainbows and under the floorboards I might have to
>reexamine my beliefs.

Exactly.

But you also have to do the opposite. If you really, fervently believe in leprechauns, and that belief has changed your life, and it helps you overcome adversity etc etc. then that's great. But if you never find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, you might have to at some time ask yourself if they really exist - or whether, to you, the BELIEF is more important than the actual existence of merry green gold-hiding elves.

And if it is, great. Maintain your beliefs if they make it easier to live your life. But also recognize that your successes are due to your beliefs and not to the actual existence of those little Irish critters.

I'm guessing you guys aren't Irish?

When you get down to it there's nothing that you think comes from god that doesn't result from the effect of the belief itself.

I know that is your story and you are sticking to it. As far as I am concerned there is no comparison between a believer full of Wisdom that prayerfully casts their cares on God, because they know God will take care of them(I Pet 5:7) and someone who practices positive thinking. I can tell you from experience, that particular spiritual exercise is worth many pots of gold. Because as the Bible promises, God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

When you get down to it there's nothing that you think comes from god that doesn't result from the effect of the belief itself.

I know that is your story and you are sticking to it. As far as I am concerned there is no comparison between a believer full of Wisdom that prayerfully casts their cares on God, because they know God will take care of them(I Pet 5:7) and someone who practices positive thinking. I can tell you from experience, that particular spiritual exercise is worth many pots of gold. Because as the Bible promises, God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

Amen.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

As far as I am concerned there is no comparison between a believer full of Wisdom that prayerfully casts their cares on God, because they know God will take care of them(I Pet 5:7) and someone who practices positive thinking.

A) How do you know?

B) That's still just the effect of the belief. There's a reason that so many people swear that homeopathy makes them feel better, and it isn't because the water's magic.

Because as the Bible promises, God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

Except that's so obviously untrue, unless you get into the whole "Well I guess it may seem a bit shit that my kids just died in a car crash, but god's will must mean it's for the best!" rationalisation.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

As far as I am concerned there is no comparison between a believer full of Wisdom that prayerfully casts their cares on God, because they know God will take care of them(I Pet 5:7) and someone who practices positive thinking.

A) How do you know?

B) That's still just the effect of the belief. There's a reason that so many people swear that homeopathy makes them feel better, and it isn't because the water's magic.

Because as the Bible promises, God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

Except that's so obviously untrue, unless you get into the whole "Well I guess it may seem a bit shit that my kids just died in a car crash, but god's will must mean it's for the best!" rationalisation.

what if the car crash saved us from global thermonuclear war ?

True from one perspective. But from another perspective one realizes that the only lasting thing we will ever have in this life is God's Love. Everything else is temporal. When someone or something wonderful enters our life we can thank God for the gift, when they leave we thank God for the time we had together. No rationalization required.

True from one perspective. But from another perspective one realizes that the only lasting thing we will ever have in this life is God's Love. Everything else is temporal. When someone or something wonderful enters our life we can thank God for the gift, when they leave we thank God for the time we had together. No rationalization required.

And should your kids also thank "god" for the time they had here as they writhe around on the pavement in excruciating pain caused by his master plan?

>he is no less fairytail then jesus, god, or satan and allah etc etc... just
>because he was not taught at your sunday school.

Anyone's particular flavor of God, Satan, Allah etc - agreed. They are all mythological figures.

Jesus, Mohammed, Joseph Smith, Martin Luther - they did in fact exist. They are historical, not mythological, figures. You may disagree with their message, but very few people argue that they never existed at all.

But from another perspective one realizes that the only lasting thing we will ever have in this life is God's Love.

Which is the placebo effect of belief. You have absolutely no proof that this fulfillment is down to the work of an actual god, and the people who would claim similar fulfillment from believing in completely different gods or following different philosophies also works against your conclusion.

When someone or something wonderful enters our life we can thank God for the gift, when they leave we thank God for the time we had together.

Ah. Another one who thinks God manipulates other's free will to make you happy.

But from another perspective one realizes that the only lasting thing we will ever have in this life is God's Love.

Which is the placebo effect of belief.

Romans 8:5-8
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

the people who would claim similar fulfillment from believing in completely different gods or following different philosophies also works against your conclusion.

You have no absolutely no proof of that fulfillment being similar.

Ah. Another one who thinks God manipulates other's free will

Our free will is pretty much limited to just picking our own poison since we cannot please God without the Spirit of God working through us.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

You have no absolutely no proof of that fulfillment being similar.

No, I have no proof that their fuilfillment is as good as they say it is, and I have no proof that yours is as good as you say it is.

But both they and you would swear blind to me that it is unique, life changing and perfect, or words to that effect.

Our free will is pretty much limited to just picking our own poison since we cannot please God without the Spirit of God working through us.

Problem solved. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and if any god wants to 'save' me then they will.

>he is no less fairytail then jesus, god, or satan and allah etc etc... just
>because he was not taught at your sunday school.

Anyone's particular flavor of God, Satan, Allah etc - agreed. They are all mythological figures.

Jesus, Mohammed, Joseph Smith, Martin Luther - they did in fact exist. They are historical, not mythological, figures. You may disagree with their message, but very few people argue that they never existed at all.

You were really stretching with Noah though. I'll raise you Perseus and Jason:P

And should your kids also thank "god" for the time they had here as they writhe around on the pavement in excruciating pain caused by his master plan?

It is a hard concept, but pain is a part of life. Either live in fear, retreat and suffer. Or face it, and learn from it. Pain is a part of the Plan of God. And even God
is not immune from its affects. Christ experienced the full wrath of pain when He hung on the cross . Our greatest gift came from His pain.

>You were really stretching with Noah though.

Noah's one of those figures that likely existed in some form, but is now associated with stories in half a dozen religions that bear almost no relation to what actually happened (beyond there was a flood and he survived.)

Problem solved. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and if any god wants to 'save' me then they will.

Ok, so you're willing to accept the doctrine of grace...Is it ever possible to accept the whole doctrine...ie. saved by grace through faith that comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God?

I'm not saying that God can't just zap you into belief, after all it does appear Paul was zapped, but that was a pretty long time ago and I don't think I've heard of any more zappings since then, so it may be a long shot...

...but if you must be zapped, may I suggest horseback riding down the road to Damascas?;)

either way, we could really use a guy like you on our side.:)

whatever you do don't be tepid,
if you look at wanting to walk as closely with god, and getting as far away as possible as a linear spectrum, then all you have to do is bend the line into a circle and the extremes meet, whereas the tepid stay put !

as i write this i am listening to
ordinary world -duran duran-
oddly appropriate !

either way, we could really use a guy like you on our side.

Which (if I understand your meaning) is probably why I'll never be on that side;)

Well I'm not out there forcing my beliefs on people that don't want it...believe it or not, there are people out there that actually want to know.

...but I could see you doing quite well at apologetics. (not that you'd have to.)

i admire my debating skills , and many on the forum even more

Well this forum is a special case...it's directly geared toward debate on religion....(and yes, politics and guns....blah.)

It serves as great spiritual excersize.

It helps me to see when, where and why I'm so carnal.

I consider this part of my training for the real world and gives me insight into different prespectives and how to deal with them.

but so far i don't think any of you will win a debate with God over final accountability.

Please explain...

I must accept my lumps...no debate about it.