skygypsie

Largest growing group seeking public assistance !

I just heard on a newscast today, the largest growing number of people applying for food stamps & public assistance are College Students.

It's no wonder given how & what so many College students spend their student loans & government student grants on.
I understand a large number need the monies to get through their college educations, & I have absolutely no problem with that.
I also know too well how alot of them support their social life, cosmetic surgery & enhancements, spring break & vacations abroad, & even their tandem & student progression jumps, is financed by their student loans & grants.
I'd say 90% of all 1st time tandem & s/l jumps are college students, I've experienced in my 4 yrs. as a fulltime DZ Staffer.
Though, some acknowledge they were bought the jump as a gift, worked for it, or it was purchased for them. Quite a few, if not most, have indicated they were using their student loan money.
They are also given extra consideration in charge card aps & approvals, & car loans, especially for College students.
A few weeks ago, a news story indicated college students were the largest growing group of those filing bankruptcy.
We're really in trouble if those just fresh out of the gate have these financial woes & cost & effect ignorance !
What's worse, Corporate America & Our System obviously condones it, by supporting them.

Unfortunately, this isn't anything new. But I don't think that most college loans can be discharged by bankruptcy. I can remember hearing a doctor tell me about declaring bankruptcy to get out of loans 35 or so years ago, and being disgusted then.

Too many people want instant gratification, rather than being willing to wait for it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just heard on a newscast today, the largest growing number of people applying for food stamps & public assistance are College Students.

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion this post really doesn't have anything to do with most college students and everything to do with one in particular?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Unfortunately, this isn't anything new. But I don't think that most college loans can be discharged by bankruptcy. I can remember hearing a doctor tell me about declaring bankruptcy to get out of loans 35 or so years ago, and being disgusted then.

Too many people want instant gratification, rather than being willing to wait for it.

Wendy P.

There is also the 6 years of college and 100's of thousands of dollars in college loans to get a $30,000 a year teaching job. Some things have got to change.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion this post really doesn't have anything to do with most college students and everything to do with one in particular?

Excuse me !
What are you talking about ?
Elaborate without looking con'damning' !
If you haven't figured it out by now; & it appears you've read my previous thread comments,
I don't play games, mince my words & I tend to be extremely direct, with no need for anyone to read between the lines !
There's no implication here, of anything else other than the topic I brought up !
I've had 2 nieces guilty of what I bring to this thread.
Both got boob jobs at 23-24 yrs. old, taken elaborate vacations & extensive socializing, brand new cars & now that they've graduated want to move back in with Mommy, take a break from the last tough 4 years of college, primarily financed by these loans & grants, & with Mommy picking up the slack, so they can 'find themselves' before the real world kicks in.
In the meantime, they expect Mommy to pay their way, make the car payments & stuydent loan payments.
I hope their new 'boob jobs' land them a rich dude, 'cuz it's unlikely they nor their college diplomas will carry them through adulthood !
There's a strong indicator you're supposed to be a moderator, so don't play jerk by being an instigator, as well !
Now for Christ's sake, did I bring enough to this table ?
If this is what I said I'm talking about, it IS what I'm talking about ! >:(

Both got boob jobs at 23-24 yrs. old, taken elaborate vacations & extensive socializing, brand new cars & now that they've graduated want to move back in with Mommy, take a break from the last tough 4 years of college, primarily financed by these loans & grants, & with Mommy picking up the slack, so they can 'find themselves' before the real world kicks in.

Then blame your brother or sister for raising two spoilt brats, don't extrapolate their behaviour to college students as a whole.

I'd say 90% of all 1st time tandem & s/l jumps are college students,

I'd say stop making stuff up.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'd say stop making stuff up

RE:If your going to RE & Quote, respond to the entire phrase:
I'd say 90% of all 1st time tandem & s/l jumps are college students, I've experienced in my 4 yrs. as a fulltime DZ Staffer.

Like : "I've experienced..."
Been working fulltime on any DZ's in WI., I've been Staff at, or you've frequented, recently...have ya ?

Then blame your brother or sister for raising two spoilt brats, don't extrapolate their behaviour to college students as a whole.
-------------------------------------------------------
RE:

And I did that ?
Please re-read the whole thing, grasp every statement, then explain how I drew my opinion to all college students as a whole ?
The thread draws reference to the "group" of growing number of those seeking public assistance is college students. The newscast did not give an estimated number nor ratio of how many students out of all college students were seeking the U.S. Government's aid.
And where did I say my sisters condoned nor supported their 'diva-like wanna-be's behavior or expectations.
I stated they "wanted " mommy to !
Neither were allowed to move back home, nor did they pick up their tabs !
Err goes my statement: "they'll need to find rich dudes..."

BTW: I love both my nieces & sisters, dearly. I was just making a point about SOME of today's young adults.
I'm concerned with this alarmingly growing trend, because we U.S. taxpayers, are ultimately & continuing, paying for it !

There is also the 6 years of college and 100's of thousands of dollars in college loans to get a $30,000 a year teaching job. Some things have got to change.

Sorry. No one has to rack up 100's of thousands of dollars to get a college degree. Maybe to get one from the right college, but if someone works during college, and goes to a public school, they can come out with far more minimal debt.

This isn't to say I don't sympathize with hastily-made decisions -- I've made plenty myself. But college can still be rational, and it's a sign of maturity to defer some gratification until important stuff is done. If that means that you don't go to Harvard but State U. instead, or that you drive a hooptie or ride a bike for a few years, and have a roommate, so be it. That's how you avoid having interminable debt.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Like: "All".

And unless the DZ is somewhere where the local college campus is the biggest population centre, or your DZ markets almost exclusively to college students, I'd be more than amazed if 90% of the ones at your DZ were students.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

With inflation adjusted college tuition and fees increasing four fold since 1978, medical insurance two-fold, and the market for semi-skilled labor smaller it's not surprising that college students can't support themselves and those that are working at least half-time (required to receive food stamps) have looked to the government for help that doesn't mortgage their future.

They are also given extra consideration in charge card aps & approvals, & car loans, especially for College students.

Without the special considerations they couldn't get used to sucking the credit teat which powers the American economy. When people could no longer borrow against their equity, the economy tanked. We need to save ourselves by getting the next generation out into the world and in debt.

A few weeks ago, a news story indicated college students were the largest growing group of those filing bankruptcy.

Wow, college students are like adults (with their strategic defaults) and corporations (with their prudent business moves like "efficient breach").

Yeah, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say there gypsie... but, to be honest with you what I heard was more of "people being irresponsible with credit"... whoooa, there's a news flash... :S

If you're tying to point your finger at those loaning money and granting credit to college students, I'll give you a little there, but wouldn't go so far as to agree with you that the "loaners & creditors" are the "evil empire"... sorry... when it comes down to it, the responsibility lies fully with the "creditee" for any responsibility and to excuse or deflect the lion share of the blame away from them is just enabling. :|

I'd say 90% of all 1st time tandem & s/l jumps are college students, I've experienced in my 5 yrs. as a fulltime DZ Staffer.

Like: "All".

And unless the DZ is somewhere where the local college campus is the biggest population centre, or your DZ markets almost exclusively to college students, I'd be more than amazed if 90% of the ones at your DZ were students.

3 of the DZ's are exactly that...located outside smaller towns, between college campuses & in high vacationing areas in N. Central - N. Eastern, WI. which is also textile - logging ( papermill) areas.
The larger DZ, I was Staff at was located between Milwaukee & Chicago. Both with many private, Orthodox, Technical & University campuses within the 100 mile distance.
If it were not for this large % of college students/ 1st time tandems or s/l students, I would not feasibly continue my job as a DZ Packer for 5 yrs.
( w/ well over 6000 combined packs to date ).
It is lucrative enough for me to continue to pack as my main source of income, rather than return to my (college degree) Nursing profession; as well as, for my husband;a multi-rated instructor, to continue, rather than return to his ( college degree) Aviation I/A & A & P profession.
For that, I'm appreciative !

Yeah, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say there gypsie... but, to be honest with you what I heard was more of "people being irresponsible with credit"... whoooa, there's a news flash... :S

If you're tying to point your finger at those loading money and granting credit to college students, I'll give you a little there, but wouldn't go so far as to agree with your that the "loaners & creditors" are the "evil empire"... sorry... when it comes down to it, the responsibility lies fully with the "creditee" for any responsibility and to excuse or deflect the lion share of the blame away from them is just enabling. :|

Absolutely agreed, Zig !
Perhaps if I wasn't one of these chicks that has to elaborate & articulate filling each statement with every emotion I emulate in a nano second..I'd have been able to get my point across as subtly & in so many fewer words, as you did...& would've refrained for stepping on so many toes [:/]
Thanks for the abbreviated synoposis of exactly what I was trying to say !

I still have an issue as to these same loaners & creditors I refer to ( i.e. big auto makers & bank card, corporate charge card creditors ) have then saught & rec'd gov.'t bailouts. I realize not all loanees & creditees in these programs, are college students. So need to critique that statement ! :|

I'd say stop making stuff up

Been working fulltime on any DZ's in WI., I've been Staff at, or you've frequented, recently...have ya ?

...and how many completely new rigs and gear have been bought with college loan money. I know of some.

Chuck

Brown is one of 1,500 students in California's Sacramento County who receives food stamps every month. This is a sharp increase from just two years ago, when 700 students were reported to receive food stamps. As a result, the Sacramento County Department of Human Assistance (DHA) is struggling to keep up with the flood of new applications, according to the news report.

"For college students who are eligible, the number of students receiving food stamps has increased by 113 percent," DHA spokesperson Paul Lake tells KCRA 3.

Source: http://www.parentdish.com/2010/08/20/starving-college-students-turning-to-food-stamps/

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

So, from this it would be safe to say that a substantial portion of the revenue that keeps your DZ in business, and that pays you as a "fulltime DZ Staffer", comes from the exact source that you are criticizing. Do you interrogate clients to see how they are paying for their jump, so you can offer them the benefit of your accumulated financial wisdom, or do you just take their money and whine behind their backs? If the latter, wouldn't that be rather hypocritical?

Don

So, from this it would be safe to say that a substantial portion of the revenue that keeps your DZ in business, and that pays you as a "fulltime DZ Staffer", comes from the exact source that you are criticizing. Do you interrogate clients to see how they are paying for their jump, so you can offer them the benefit of your accumulated financial wisdom, or do you just take their money and whine behind their backs? If the latter, wouldn't that be rather hypocritical?

Don

I was just waiting for a RE from someone who can't see beyond the nose on his face !
Since when is being concerned about the financial state of this Country, given the hand outs of todays Administration, or the future of those same group of young adults, their offspring & to those who've already paid their dues...HYPOCRITICAL ?
This thread has nothing to do with my financial, nor lack of financial wisdom.
It was based on a NEWS CAST !
Do I "interrogate" clients ? Of course not !
Do most of these same paying for their jump with these funds often take the extra 'splurge' to spend the extra $75-125 to get video ? You bet, they do ?
Do videographers / TI's get somewhat 'personably acquainted' when rigging up, or interviewing each student? Of course they do !
Have you ever been on the packing floor up to 14 hrs. /day with large groups of 'students' waiting to go up, or who've just completed their jump, listening to the hub bub while you're packing load after load ?
Most all 1st timers are nervous with fear, &/or giddy with anxiety & excitement...you wouldn't believe what comes out their mouths !
Based on your jumps numbers, years in sport, & profession...probably unlikely !
*Personal Note: I just love the 'weekend warrior' who knows the ins & outs to DAILY DZ operations & /or cliental !

FYI: This OP is 53.
I've more than paid my dues & then some, & TAXES.
I have a 36 yr.old, & 29 yr.old Son & 13, 10, & 8 yrs.old grandkids.
I pack circles around most 20 yr.olds, At times up to 14 hrs/day, 7 days/ wk., 6 mos., straight !
Do I hope there is some stability, or funds left for me as I reach my 'entitlements', but more importantly for my Son's; who've also done their fair share at paying their dues & Taxes, thus far...& their children ? Abso 'frickin' lutely !!!
They, nor I have ever asked for, rec'd, nor taken a free ride for anything, nor had, nor expected to be 'bailed out' when we got our teats in a wringer. My Son's have worked & I mean worked for everything they have, there entire lives. Both have stayed with the same ONE girl & have long relationships & marriages. The wisdom I will own up to is hard work & commitments.
My Son's can own that. as well !
I explained I was appreciative for the work & students, did I not ?
Do I feel I have the right to be concerned, or bitch ?
You bet I do !
Oh, & BTW: I'm a democrat...now, there's HYPOCRITICAL, for ya !!!

You realize your posts are, on several levels, damned near un-readable. Just a friendly FYI.
Now go ahead and rant back; whatever.

What are you, the grammar police, now ?

Why do you bother to read them ?

What part of the Country are you from, And-Man ?

I'm from Wisconsin !

We all; or I should say, I mostly 'communicate'

long and detailed .

It is a little bit like the all too familiar and

typical, lawyer double talking rhetoric.

I'm not your fr@#%ing legal secretary !

There ! This is double spaced, standard font,

correct punctuation, with no slang.

Is that readable enough for you ? :P

>Since when is being concerned about the financial state of this Country,
>given the hand outs of todays Administration, or the future of those
>same group of young adults . . . .HYPOCRITICAL ?

When you make your living from the hand-outs and loans that you claim to be concerned about.

You can make your money from any place you like. But complaining about its source is akin to a chef at Chili's complaining about how fatty the food is at restaurants here in the US.

OK. So you disapprove of how they choose to spend their money, but you're happy to take it. Pretty much a textbook example of, well, you know, hypocrisy. Whatever floats your boat.

Congrats on the great kids. I am also 53, and have 3 kids (and 2 grandkids) who are all doing just fine. I don't see what that has to do with anything, but you seem to think it significant so I thought I'd mention it. It's even harder for me to see the relevance of my profession or number of jumps to this "discussion", but evidently you see some connection.

I'd suggest you might want to check into decaf drinks. Or Prozac.

CYA,
Don