kelpdiver

Round 3 in California goes to the gays (and lovers of civil rights)

> . . . the SC, who almost certainly have to hear this case.

Indeed. Prop 8 could be the biggest mistake the Mormon Church ever made, if their goal is to keep gay couples unmarried.

+1
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Indeed. Prop 8 could be the biggest mistake the Mormon Church ever made, if their goal is to keep gay couples unmarried.

True, might be the biggest, but I would have to say the vicarious baptisms of Hitler, Himmler and hundreds of thousands of Holocaust victims would have to be a pretty close second...

Unless they get the 5-4 decision with Kennedy's vote. Then, like Dred Scott, there would be no progress for decades.

I don't think the judge has ruled on the request to stay the decision pending appeal, though it would seem unlikely, and thus the marrying frenzy may begin again.

>though it would seem unlikely, and thus the marrying frenzy may begin again.

Yep. We're definitely in an odd situation right now - tens of thousands of gay couples in California are legally married, but no new marriages can happen. On the plus side, now that they're married both in CA and in states across the country - and life as we know it didn't end - there may be a lot less fear over the issue.

Yep. We're definitely in an odd situation right now - tens of thousands of gay couples in California are legally married, but no new marriages can happen. On the plus side, now that they're married both in CA and in states across the country - and life as we know it didn't end - there may be a lot less fear over the issue.

I'll be interested to see--once the Circuit Court and Supreme Court, which have authority over immigration and tax matters which the District Court and state courts do not, weigh in on this--whether gay marriage rights will be recognized for federal tax and immigration purposes. The court's reasoning appears to depend on fundamental 14th amendment rights and not on anything specific to California.

Of course all this depends on whether the 14th amendment itself survives.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Unless they get the 5-4 decision with Kennedy's vote. Then, like Dred Scott, there would be no progress for decades.

I don't think the judge has ruled on the request to stay the decision pending appeal, though it would seem unlikely, and thus the marrying frenzy may begin again.

NPR said he's stayed the decision.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Again, find a religious group and blame it.

Nobody seems to like to acknowledge the black vote that really pushed it over the top. Oh, I know, it's not politically expedient to point to a minority when there's a church - unless it's an AME church!!!:o

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>Again, find a religious group and blame it.

I'm not "blaming" them. Indeed, I don't need to; they've already been fined for not disclosing their support of this measure.

But like I said, if their goal was to stop gay marriage, spending millions to pass a measure that nearly guarantees that the Supreme Court will look at the issue might be the biggest mistake they ever made.

by a judge appointed by Reagan, no less.

*cheer*

Actually, appointed by GHW Bush. Originally nominated by Reagan, had his nomination blocked by Pelosi for being "insensitive to gays" since he worked for the IOC in their suit against the "gay olympics".

That makes it even better;)

Nobody seems to like to acknowledge the black vote that really pushed it over the top. Oh, I know, it's not politically expedient to point to a minority when there's a church - unless it's an AME church!!!:o

Votes are votes. No particular voting group "pushed it over the top."

And this week someone else presented a paper saying it was not the blacks, but people mislead by the attack ads that said not support prop 8 would lead to gay orgies in schools. (released yesterday, people are still weighing the claims)

Speaking of bizarre practices, check out the attachment.

Queen Victoria married her first cousin and they had nine children. The entire British Royal Family is descended from that marriage. The present Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are both descended from that marriage.

This probably doesn't affect the rest of us much because it seems that, although the British Royal Family does practice incest, at least they keep it in the family. :)
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Sorry, but that is just plain silly. Blacks didn't wait until the last minute the voting booths were open and then rush out to "push it over the top". I doubt they voted as a more solid bloc than the religious zealots did.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You sure it wasn't just Mormons? I keep hearing that it was the Mormons who provided the votes.

They supplied a lot more dollars, which of course did translate into some votes. In a 52-48 election, enough votes to make the difference.

I think their actions crossed the boundary suitable for a tax exempt organization. Unfortunately for many of the donors, public records show the contributions and many paid a price in business or reputation around the Bay Area. The rights under the 1st can work both ways.

This probably doesn't affect the rest of us much because it seems that, although the British Royal Family does practice incest, at least they keep it in the family.

Actually, about 10% of marriages worldwide are between first cousins. But that doesn't mean that it's good - first cousins have four times the consanguinity of second cousins. So a woman that marries her first cousin and has a baby at 30 years old has the same risk of birth defects in the baby as another woman delivering at 41 years old.

What's really interesting is there is a huge stigma in the US about first cousins marrying. But apparently, it's not nearly as stigmatized as gay people are.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I heard there was a temporary stay until Monday. at that time the judge will decide whether to stay it pending the completion of the appeal or not.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

What's really interesting is there is a huge stigma in the US about first cousins marrying. But apparently, it's not nearly as stigmatized as gay people are.

First cousin marriage is legal in the following states:

Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico,
New York, North Carolina*, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia

Shockingly not legal in West Virginia, although there is an excpetion for adopted first cousins. There are some other states it is legal in certain conditions (like sterility). North Caolina prevents double first cousin marriages.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"