Lucky...

Officer actually convicted, but of the lesser crime

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100709/ap_on_re_us/us_train_station_shooting

White cop kills subdued black perp as perp lays face down. Cop gets convicted of the lesser of 3 possible charges and city riots. Cop can get 2 - 4 years, possibly 10 since a gun was used. What do ya think, was it too lenient? I think so, involuntary manslaughter, I guess, only if you believe the cop didn't mean to pull his gun but rather his taser. I don't buy it.

I think they should have got him for Manslaughter instead. I just dont think he would have been stupid enough to pull his gun and shoot the guy in the back in front of God and 100 witnesses. I think he really meant to go for his Taser...

All that being said. He is a dumb ass. If you see the video there was no reason to even pull out the taser. That is why I think it should be Manslaughter instead of Involuntary Manslaughter. I just dont think he intended to shoot and kill the guy.

Sad all around
Dom

It's utter fucking bullshit.

To put it lightly.

It shouldn't be the public's problem even if the dumbass can't figure out whether he is holding a taser or a gun. Maybe all gangsters should carry tasers too, so when they clap someone down they can just say they meant to use a taser.

The dudes life is over, and the officer should definitely have a harsher sentence than that of a robbery.

But what do you expect, the cops get away lightly most of the time.

I saw the video of this instance, and to be honest... Since there were so many people around I believe it could have been a mixup on the policeman's part, either that or he was completely stupid at doing it with so many people watching. But I still think 2-4 years for ending someone's life is way too little.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100709/ap_on_re_us/us_train_station_shooting

White cop kills subdued black perp as perp lays face down. Cop gets convicted of the lesser of 3 possible charges and city riots. Cop can get 2 - 4 years, possibly 10 since a gun was used. What do ya think, was it too lenient? I think so, involuntary manslaughter, I guess, only if you believe the cop didn't mean to pull his gun but rather his taser. I don't buy it.

There it is then
If the most informed most educated Lucky dont buy it then it cant be.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Isnt the gun and tazer on opposite sides? Yeah rhetorical question i know, but hear me out.

Im calling total bullshit. how many THOUSANDS of times has he practiced drawing and firing a tazer, which is on the OPPOSITE side and ahsa totally different look and feel than his gun. To me it would be like pulling a reserve instead of a cutaway handle first. You drill and drill and drill EP's till they are in the back of your head and executed like clockwork(at least they should be). Im pretty sure i could tell the difference between a silver handle and a reserve pillow especially since it was drilled to me to LOOK silver, grab silver, LOOK red, pull silver, grab red, pull red, thats a LOT of LOOKING, you dont just blindly go grabbing handles praying you get the right one, do you? I highly doubt that a trained officer of the law would "accidently" pull AND FIRE the wrong thing.

Ok well lets say he did "accidently" pull the wrong thing, so does that mean that he BLINDLY fired it without even looking to see what he had in his hand? tazers and guns DO NOT look the same, feel the same, or ANYTHING. so hes saying he blindly grabbed the first thing that he could get and pulled the trigger? ok so even if hes not guilty of MURDER, hes guilty of being a complete and total JACKASS, who needs to be put away anyway, because god knows who else hell hurt or kill.

Something here just doesn't add up, no matter what way you look at it. At least to me.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

At least a dozen businesses were damaged, including a looted Foot Locker store and a ransacked jewelry store, police said

Why do I get the feeling that some of the actions in these "riots" are less about protest and more about free shit?
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Yes, because in the history of skydiving, nobody has EVER pulled their reserve before their cutaway. :S

So take out the piss poor skydiving analogy and my point still stands. .

The guy either pulled his gun without looking to see what he had in his hand an BLINDLY fired it, or he pulled his gun on purpose and shot a person in the back on purpose and is just lying about it.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

At least a dozen businesses were damaged, including a looted Foot Locker store and a ransacked jewelry store, police said

Why do I get the feeling that some of the actions in these "riots" are less about protest and more about free shit?

+1
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Couple of questions, do officers normally go round witha round chamberd and the saftey off.
Could an officer tell the difference between sqeezing the trigger when the handgun is cocked or not cocked.

I can certainly tell the difference in the trigger pull between being cocked or not cocked.

What is a typical trigger pressure of a taser.

Gone fishing

Yes, because in the history of skydiving, nobody has EVER pulled their reserve before their cutaway. :S

The guy either pulled his gun without looking to see what he had in his hand an BLINDLY fired it, or he pulled his gun on purpose and shot a person in the back on purpose and is just lying about it.

No, actually you made a very good point. It just wasn't the one that you intended to make. The point is sometimes people do stupid things even though they were trained not to do them. How many very experienced skydivers have died doing or not doing something taught in a FJC?

No, actually you made a very good point. It just wasn't the one that you intended to make. The point is sometimes people do stupid things even though they were trained not to do them. How many very experienced skydivers have died doing or not doing something taught in a FJC?

a key element of the defense is that the taser training given the BART cops was poor. BART cops continue to demonstrate poor judgment with tasers - last week they nailed someone in the back for fare evasion.

For the non Americans here (and lucky), let's remember that the standard of proof for guilt is beyond reasonable doubt. And a jury will hear the evidence and make a decision. You can say you don't buy his story, but that's not the same thing. So without evidence to the contrary, you're debating involuntary and voluntary manslaughter, both of which have sentences akin to robbery.

To me, this event is more fodder for the argument that cops shouldn't have tasers. They continue to have lethal consequences despite being promoted as a safe alternative.

Couple of questions, do officers normally go round witha round chamberd and the saftey off.

Correct on the first, and immaterial on the second. Many police carry Glocks, which have no external safety like, say, a Beretta 9mm.

Could an officer tell the difference between sqeezing the trigger when the handgun is cocked or not cocked.

Glocks are striker fired - the striker is cocked with the slide movement, not by the trigger.

I can certainly tell the difference in the trigger pull between being cocked or not cocked.

You're obviously not shooting a Glock.

What is a typical trigger pressure of a taser.

I can't find info on that, but I'm sure one of our LE members can give us an approximation.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Probably because of your personal preconceived notions.

Seeing as how it happens over and over, seems like it's not really a 'personal preconceived notion' after all...although your reply certainly seems to be.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'd think if a group was upset about police being overly aggressive with them as they thought they could be violent, the last thing they'd want to do is show they might be right. :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Seeing as how it happens over and over,.

It certainly does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadou_Diallo

It certainly does:

Lemme know when you want to actually address MY argument - you know, that stores get looted in riots - instead of your strawman.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

maybe your's too, Andy.

Those of us who live here see the pattern happen over and over again.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/09/BAH61EBUBF.DTL&tsp=1

"Many of those arrested were "anarchist" agitators who were not from Oakland and wore bandannas, hoods or black face paint, police said."

It certainly does:

Lemme know when you want to actually address MY argument - you know, that stores get looted in riots - instead of your strawman.

Actually I was replying to divot's strawman. I stand by that post.
I was also replying to your post: the riots were first and foremost a reaction to the history of undue use of force by police against black people, and historical examples of a lack of adequate justice for it. Painting it as those people mainly out to get free shit makes me sick.

I'm not getting sucked into one of your arguments. I stand by my posts.

maybe your's too, Andy.

Those of us who live here see the pattern happen over and over again.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/09/BAH61EBUBF.DTL&tsp=1

"Many of those arrested were "anarchist" agitators who were not from Oakland and wore bandannas, hoods or black face paint, police said."

Sigh. Do you really not consider the source? Good god, they actually used the term "anarchist agitators"? :S What part of "police said", together with the choice of arcane rhetoric, does not set off the alarm bells in your head? They're insulting your intelligence, and you lap it up.

the riots were first and foremost a reaction to the history of undue use of force by police against black people, and historical examples of a lack of adequate justice for it.

How does rioting prove that the police are wrong in treating them as generally violent?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Sigh. Do you really not consider the source? Good god, they actually used the term "anarchist agitators"? :S What part of "police said", together with the choice of arcane rhetoric, does not set off the alarm bells in your head? They're insulting your intelligence, and you lap it up.

did you read the rest of the article? Where a shop keeper describes the opportunistic looting? BTW, not from Oakland is a factual statement, not a subjective opinion.

Like I said, I actually live here and we see these events happen annually or more often. Berkeley store owners are probably the most adept at quickly mounting plywood over glass in the country. And the black hooded agitators have been around throughout the anti war protests of the past 7 years.