millertime24

Handgun choice...

I really like the H&K USP series, except for the trigger. Its not a good CCW weapon for the bulk, IMO, but makes a good duty weapon. Especially if you need a DA/SA weapon, it makes a better choice then the M9.

Now some current or former military type is going to come in here and wet himself all about the M9 and how its the best duty handgun since the short musket.

I just picked up a USPc in .40SW today for concealed carry. No problem with concealability, and decent firepower with 12 rounds. I agree that the full-size USP is just too big for concealed, though.

Heh, your short musket comment just gave me a mental image of somebody carrying concealed with a brace of flintlock musket pistols. Pull those out, and the bad guy won't be able to shoot you because he'll be laughing his ass off. :D
The best things in life are dangerous.

I was carrying to Sig229 (HS edition, rail flush w/ muzzle) which worked great with winter clothing. Now that summer is coming up I bought a Colt Defender and love it! It is also my first 1911. It is by far the best concealed weapon I have ever carried. It is much slimmer than a Glock, HK, S&W, etc.. and is also much lighter than the other 1911 style compacts by Kimber and Springfield.

I changed out the stock grips for slim grips. I'm also bias towards .45/40 now that I've been reading alot on the 45 vs 9mm debate and conducted a few of my own backyard field tests :D.

My only complaint is not with the gun itself but with the Galco holster I got for it. The center of gravity is a bit high on the holster so my belt has to be unusually tight (even for carrying) to stop the gun from flopping (not flopping out, just out a bit from my body).

Anyways, yeah, 1911 compacts are great for CCW.

You want the belt to be fairly snug to hold the pistol where it needs to be, anyway. You shouldn't need to cut yourself in half, though.

Edit to add - the lower the pistol is in the belt, the easier it rides and the less it 'flops'.

I'm not surprised you see a big difference between the wider Sig and the narrower 1911.

A revolver will be harder to conceal than a semiauto, and a double-stack semiauto will be harder to conceal than a single-stack (comparative width). A full size 1911 will be harder to conceal than an Officer's model (comparative grip length). Holster cant has a huge influence on grip concealment - a holster with a 15 degree cant hides the grip much better than a straight up and down holster.

On the flip side, barrel length has very little to do with concealment, Jeanne's 'little purse gun' excepted. :P

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My only complaint is not with the gun itself but with the Galco holster I got for it. The center of gravity is a bit high on the holster so my belt has to be unusually tight (even for carrying) to stop the gun from flopping (not flopping out, just out a bit from my body).

Anyways, yeah, 1911 compacts are great for CCW.

What kind of belt are you using?

There are specially designed belts that work great for carry. They are double thick and often have stiffeners (a plastic panel that's really similar to our flap stiffeners).

The thickness/stiffness prevents the holster from twisting the belt without needing to have the belt super tight.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Belts and quality holsters. It makes a serious difference in your quality of life if you carry every day.

I've been running Blade-Tech and a custom piece from Hoffners, but I've been thinking of getting one made by these guys: http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products.html

Anyone run anything made by Raven Concealment? Thoughts?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm also bias towards .45/40 now that I've been reading alot on the 45 vs 9mm debate and conducted a few of my own backyard field tests Laugh.

That debate will never end. There are upsides and downsides to .45/9mm. Basically stopping power vs. capacity. The best choice varies from person to person. It depends on several factors. My personal choice is 9mm. Let me explain why.

Stopping power is worthless if you don't actually hit your target. Standing at the range, well lit, relaxed, with unlimited time is not the same as 3am, grabbing and aiming. The Glock 21 holds 13+1 rounds. My Glock 17 holds 19+1 rounds. 6 extra rounds is a lot of options. I can punch off rounds without worrying too much about running out. The rounds are cheaper, so for the same dollar, I can practice more. Lower recoil is nice.

The new Grixxly Xtreme 9mm +P rounds have a tremendous amount of stopping power. Anyone that thinks the 9mm round isn't powerful enough should check into these rounds. One of these will stop someone cold.

For a LEO on duty, the larger rounds may make more sense. For home defense or carry, I'll stick with 9mm.

Derek V

I'm also bias towards .45/40 now that I've been reading alot on the 45 vs 9mm debate and conducted a few of my own backyard field tests Laugh.

That debate will never end. There are upsides and downsides to .45/9mm. Basically stopping power vs. capacity. The best choice varies from person to person. It depends on several factors. My personal choice is 9mm. Let me explain why.

Stopping power is worthless if you don't actually hit your target. Standing at the range, well lit, relaxed, with unlimited time is not the same as 3am, grabbing and aiming. The Glock 21 holds 13+1 rounds. My Glock 17 holds 19+1 rounds. 6 extra rounds is a lot of options. I can punch off rounds without worrying too much about running out. The rounds are cheaper, so for the same dollar, I can practice more. Lower recoil is nice.

The new Grixxly Xtreme 9mm +P rounds have a tremendous amount of stopping power. Anyone that thinks the 9mm round isn't powerful enough should check into these rounds. One of these will stop someone cold.

For a LEO on duty, the larger rounds may make more sense. For home defense or carry, I'll stick with 9mm.

Derek V

I took the middle road and got a .40 smith for my personal carry. Almost as much punch as a .45, and almost as much capacity as a 9mm. The gun I selected holds 12+1 of .40, but only 8+1 if it's the model chambered for .45. Someone once told me that capacity is for someone who can't hit what they're aiming at, but I disagree and I'd like to have options if the worst should ever happen and I have to use my weapon. I hand load the ammo, so practice isn't too expensive.

I personally think that you should carry whatever you are comfortable with and can shoot well, regardless of caliber.

Derek V

I took the middle road and got a .40 smith for my personal carry. Almost as much punch as a .45, and almost as much capacity as a 9mm. The gun I selected holds 12+1 of .40, but only 8+1 if it's the model chambered for .45. Someone once told me that capacity is for someone who can't hit what they're aiming at, but I disagree and I'd like to have options if the worst should ever happen and I have to use my weapon. I hand load the ammo, so practice isn't too expensive.

I personally think that you should carry whatever you are comfortable with and can shoot well, regardless of caliber.

That does it. My Ruger MK III will be my carry gun as I can hit whatever I want with it AND it has virtualy NO recoil.:P
Muff #5048

And the latest edition to the family. Thanks to AggieDave for some info on this one.;) Reliable as death, taxes, and military finance fucking up! Love this baby. She will live under my bed with a whole bunch of rounds in her at all times (except of course when theres a 3-gun match to attend).B|

Muff #5048

And the latest edition to the family. Thanks to AggieDave for some info on this one.;) Reliable as death, taxes, and military finance fucking up! Love this baby. She will live under my bed with a whole bunch of rounds in her at all times (except of course when theres a 3-gun match to attend).B|

Ah yes, the ultra rare Remington 870. Don't see too many of those around! :P