millertime24

Handgun choice...

Oh and theres more to come. I'm picking up a Ruger 10/22 Deluxe rifle on Friday. Has a free float barrel, rail for scope (but so does my MK III) sling swivels and an all American walnut stock.

I think after that one Im going to be looking for shotguns. I REALLY love the over-under's, but I hate the price. Hell, for the price of an over-under I could buy a DAMN nice AR WITH A SCOPE to go with it!!!

I LOVE my Berreta 686 Onyx. So much so that I rarely take my other scatterguns out anymore. Hell, I think I'll have it buried with me. B|
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Oh and theres more to come. I'm picking up a Ruger 10/22 Deluxe rifle on Friday. Has a free float barrel, rail for scope (but so does my MK III) sling swivels and an all American walnut stock.

I think after that one Im going to be looking for shotguns. I REALLY love the over-under's, but I hate the price. Hell, for the price of an over-under I could buy a DAMN nice AR WITH A SCOPE to go with it!!!

I LOVE my Berreta 686 Onyx. So much so that I rarely take my other scatterguns out anymore. Hell, I think I'll have it buried with me. B|

You know, I hear you on that I really do. I'm just trying to justify spending awesome AR money on a 2 shot shotgun. I love those guns though because of their beauty all around... Well that and their accuracy.
Muff #5048

EAA imports the Russian Baikal IZH27 over-under. While not pretty they work great for trap and you can't beat the $500 price tag.

Sweet! Now the question is does Impact sell them?

If they don't, I bet they could order one in for you.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You know, I hear you on that I really do. I'm just trying to justify spending awesome AR money on a 2 shot shotgun. I love those guns though because of their beauty all around... Well that and their accuracy.

I also felt it was a bit much at the time I bought it, but that was many years ago and I now consider it a lifetime purchase and well worth the extra dollars.
I understand your dilema.
Buy 'em both! :)
HAMMER:

So I went to Impact Guns today to check out some handguns. What I'm looking for is a 22 just to practice with and be cheap to shoot. Heres my 3 choices.

Ruger MK3- $320. Cheap, reliable, and feels good in the hand.

Sig 22- $415. Not quite as cheap, but still reliable and grip feels good fit to my hand.

Walther P22 with supressor package- $700 Not really cheap, still reliable, but feels like a toy in my hand.

So which would you guys get? The low cost Ruger that can never accept a supressor or the quiet P22, or maybe the Sig that you can put a supressor on in the future?

Which Ruger Mk III? There are a lot of them.

I have a Mk III 22/45, 5". Love it. It's a great target pistol. I love taking people to the range and teaching them to shoot. It's a great newbie gun, fun when I want to go shoot a lot, because the ammo is cheap and it's really accurate. It's heavy when compared to my tupperware guns though.

So I went to Impact Guns today to check out some handguns. What I'm looking for is a 22 just to practice with and be cheap to shoot. Heres my 3 choices.

Ruger MK3- $320. Cheap, reliable, and feels good in the hand.

Sig 22- $415. Not quite as cheap, but still reliable and grip feels good fit to my hand.

Walther P22 with supressor package- $700 Not really cheap, still reliable, but feels like a toy in my hand.

So which would you guys get? The low cost Ruger that can never accept a supressor or the quiet P22, or maybe the Sig that you can put a supressor on in the future?

Which Ruger Mk III? There are a lot of them.

I have a Mk III 22/45, 5". Love it. It's a great target pistol. I love taking people to the range and teaching them to shoot. It's a great newbie gun, fun when I want to go shoot a lot, because the ammo is cheap and it's really accurate. It's heavy when compared to my tupperware guns though.

I posted pics of it. It's the MK III .22LR Target model. And I know what you mean about the weight. This little .22 is heavier than my Glock 22 (.40S&W) with a full mag in the Glock.:o
Muff #5048

Update:

I just called Ruger and bought my very first mod for my MK III Target. I got myself a set of Cocobola wood grips with thub rest. I handled another Ruger with these grips at the store and fell in love, but I couldn't see paying $500 for a gun with only grips and sight upgrades vs. paying $45 for the grips alone (which is all I want really).

Other stuff:

I put my Ruger in an eggshell case and I noticed that the foam discolored the metal on the barrel where the foam rested against it. Is there any way to make my gun look uniform again?
Muff #5048

Update:

I just called Ruger and bought my very first mod for my MK III Target. I got myself a set of Cocobola wood grips with thub rest. I handled another Ruger with these grips at the store and fell in love, but I couldn't see paying $500 for a gun with only grips and sight upgrades vs. paying $45 for the grips alone (which is all I want really).

Other stuff:

I put my Ruger in an eggshell case and I noticed that the foam discolored the metal on the barrel where the foam rested against it. Is there any way to make my gun look uniform again?

1) Send it to me. I'll see what I can do, though it may take several weeks. ;)
2) Shoot it a lot!
3) Wipe it with a good gun oil. That usually works.
HAMMER:

Upgrades HUAH!

So Ive attached a pic of my MK III with a couple upgrades Ive made. From stock (pics on 2nd page of this thread), Cocobola wooden hadgrips with thumb rest and a bushnell holo red dot sight. Anyone want to venture a guess as to how accurate this thing is? Ill tell you my friend decided to have a little competition on the rangs today. The challenge was we each had a golf ball at 25yds. The first to shoot their golfball using the least ammount of ammo was the winner. I hit mine on the first shot then I shot his as he was still cranking rounds at it... I was then accused of cheating.:ph34r::D:D

Muff #5048

As a side note, there was a guy at the range today with a whole host of full auto stuff. I found the MG 42 most interresting. I'm vollunteering to be a range officer out there. They give you keys so you can go out and shoot whenever you like, plus you have more opportunities to check out some of the toys that people with far more $$ than you bring out.B|

Muff #5048

Upgrades HUAH!

So Ive attached a pic of my MK III with a couple upgrades Ive made. From stock (pics on 2nd page of this thread), Cocobola wooden hadgrips with thumb rest and a bushnell holo red dot sight. Anyone want to venture a guess as to how accurate this thing is? Ill tell you my friend decided to have a little competition on the rangs today. The challenge was we each had a golf ball at 25yds. The first to shoot their golfball using the least ammount of ammo was the winner. I hit mine on the first shot then I shot his as he was still cranking rounds at it... I was then accused of cheating.:ph34r::D:D

It's what Mark Donahue used to call "The Unfair Advantage". Great book BTW. It refers to something that is completely within the rules, gives you an advantage, and nobody else is using for whatever reason. In this case you had a superior weapon, a steady hand, and a crisp eye. Good job!
Grips look great. :)
HAMMER:

As a side note, there was a guy at the range today with a whole host of full auto stuff. I found the MG 42 most interresting. I'm vollunteering to be a range officer out there. They give you keys so you can go out and shoot whenever you like, plus you have more opportunities to check out some of the toys that people with far more $$ than you bring out.B|

Yes, being a r/o is a lot of fun. You get to stand around and talk about guns a lot, and a lot of the shooters will let you run a few rounds throught their toys.:)
OTOH, you have to keep the idiots in line>:(
You will be amazed at some of the stupid things some idiots do with their weapons.:S

You will learn pretty quickly who you have to watch.

Keep an eye on the muzzles at all times.

If you don't have a pair of electronic muffs, get some. Being able to hear "little" sounds while your hearing is still protected is very valuable.
Little sounds like bolts closing, or magazines being inserted during a cease fire.

I've got lots of stories.:|
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

At my local range they banned a customer until he went through a firearm safety course..again...after his first shot at the range since getting his concealed carry permit.
Why?
It may have something to do with the fact that his first round took out the light above the shooting table.
RO said it caused quite the stir around the range. He said one guy found the bullet by his feet, another found a wet spot in his drawers, and two found Jesus! :D

HAMMER:

Yes, being a r/o is a lot of fun. You get to stand around and talk about guns a lot, and a lot of the shooters will let you run a few rounds throught their toys.:)
OTOH, you have to keep the idiots in line>:(
You will be amazed at some of the stupid things some idiots do with their weapons.:S

You will learn pretty quickly who you have to watch.

Keep an eye on the muzzles at all times.

If you don't have a pair of electronic muffs, get some. Being able to hear "little" sounds while your hearing is still protected is very valuable.
Little sounds like bolts closing, or magazines being inserted during a cease fire.

I've got lots of stories.:|

Thanks a lot for the tips. Ill look into some of those electronic muffs. I think the majority of the stupid stuff Ive seen on the range is when parents dont properly supervise their kids and the kids dont realize how much easier it is to lose muzzle controll of a handgun vs. a rifle (usually with an empty gun but still...).

In other news I actually just got back from the range today. Whoever it is that works for Aguila Ammunition needs to seriously be punched in the dick!>:(>:(>:( This ammo is so bad that even in my MK III it has roughly a 65-70% malfunction rate! Failure to feed and eject were the primary malfunctions, but you still got about 2 for every 50 failure to fire. Problem is I bought 1000 rounds of this garbage not knowing that any ammo can perform this poorly. If they have an email addy I will be sending a very strongly worded email to them about their quality controll. Ammo so bad that I even looked everywhere on the box for a "made by blind people or retards" label.>:(
Muff #5048

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Aguila+Ammunition&l=1

email, snail mail, and phone number listed at the bottom of the page.

and yes.... I'm being a smartass :)

Smartass.:P I already found it and sent them an email. I even asked If they would take back the shitty ammo I bought from them (cant hurt to ask), but I doubt it.[:/]
Muff #5048

lik you said. doesn't hurt to ask.

Chalk it up to experience. Not sure how to properly dispose of ammo that's too much trouble to shoot. I don't know that I'd be comfortable just tossing a brick of .22 in the trash. I'd probably call the gun shop and ask for suggestions. or find someone with the tools and the time to disassemble it all for the lead.
--
Rob

lik you said. doesn't hurt to ask.

Chalk it up to experience. Not sure how to properly dispose of ammo that's too much trouble to shoot. I don't know that I'd be comfortable just tossing a brick of .22 in the trash. I'd probably call the gun shop and ask for suggestions. or find someone with the tools and the time to disassemble it all for the lead.

Or I can go out to the west desert and throw it in a fire.B|

Alrighty all. I'm now in the market for a 1911 .45 in the $500-$800 price range as a carry weapon. Any and all reccommendations would be greatly helpfull. I basically want something accurate as hell, reliable on every shot, and slim concealability. Any of you guys out there who carry/use the 1911 platform on a daily basis input would be very appreciated.:)
Muff #5048

I'm now in the market for a 1911 .45... as a carry weapon.

Kimber is always a good choice, but take a hard look at Nighthawk and especially STI.

in the $500-$800 price range

Oh. Well, double your price range and get a Kimber, triple it and get a Nighthawk. Or maybe you could buy used? Or you could build up a Colt with you and your favorite gun smith, but in my experience you end up spending more money in the long run doing that.

My work gun is a Glock 22. My every day gun is a Kimber TLE/RL II Pro. My current setup has me running a Blade-Tech IWB. The winter is really nice since it lets me run my on the belt custom made Hoffner leather rig. The holster was custom made to hold the gun with a TLR-1 attached. The problem is the imprint with the Hoffner's rig, so its more of a winter setup.

The problem I have is that I have really acidic sweat. I can't even wear Gatorz sunglasses, I rot out the hinges and de-laminate the aluminum! So I have to clean my 1911 literally every couple of days in the summer or I will rust it up. Then again, if I run one of my Glocks and even my work gun is cleaned once a week due to my sweat having eaten the finish and rust!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I like my Springfield Armory GI 45. Bare bones basic, not target accuracy but very adequate for a carry gun, and it will reliably feed and fire anything that you can put into the mag short of rocks and crayons.
HAMMER:

will second both the Kimber and Springfield responses. (though a new Kimber is outside your price range)

I got a used Kimber for $600 about 10 years ago. Love it. Everyday carry weapon.

I have a few friends with Springfields, and a couple with the RIAs. Both brands are more on the reliability side than the ultra-high tolerance side. (20 yd group might be a little larger) But most tactical engagements take place within 7yards. You don't need high tolerances in a carry weapon.
--
Rob