millertime24

Handgun choice...

So if I had my choice i'd take all of them.

Spoken very well!

How is the finish on the SIS holding up? I have a problem with finishes on carry guns, my sweat eats EVERYTHING. It even de-laminates Gatorz sunglasses!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't really mind the travel on the H&K triggers. I'm a big fan of H&K, I wish I could afford them all! Anyone have any experience with the new H&K 45?

Or heres something.... You could spend 1/3 of the ammount on a Ruger MK3 then you would on the H&K, and give it to me because I'm such an awesome brother.;):P
Muff #5048

I've been looking at .22s myself. I carry a Walther P99 .40 and love it, but I'd like something with cheaper and more available ammo like a .22. I really like the way the Walther .22 shoots, but my dad has a Ruger and I like it just as well, and of course it's not as expensive.

Just my .02--- let us know what you decide!
"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall;
Good times and riches and sons of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall!"

I've been looking at .22s myself. I carry a Walther P99 .40 and love it, but I'd like something with cheaper and more available ammo like a .22. I really like the way the Walther .22 shoots, but my dad has a Ruger and I like it just as well, and of course it's not as expensive.

I think Ive already decided on the Ruger. I also have a Glock .40 model 22, but like you said its just too damn expensive to shoot all the time.
Muff #5048

So I went to Impact Guns today to check out some handguns. What I'm looking for is a 22 just to practice with and be cheap to shoot. Heres my 3 choices.

Ruger MK3- $320. Cheap, reliable, and feels good in the hand.

Get the Ruger. They're inexpensive, accurate, reliable with most ammo, and with the heavy bull barrel they stay parked on target.

I have a Mk ii bull barrel; it's very nice.

$700? WOW, I hope that covers the cost of the tax stamp. I priced that setup a while back and found you can get one with a GemTech for around $500 with out the stamp. The problem is that the P22 is picky about ammo.

Be warned that a lot of people make "training" cans for the P22, which is nothing but something to look cool on the gun.

I really like the Sig, its a 90% of full size imprint. That's important if you have sausage fingers like me.

Glock 357 sig;)

Might as well go for the 10mm auto! ;)
Looks that way. Have a spare 40 ca barrel laying around? [:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Ok, just what the hell is going on here?? Have you guys forgotten that this is SC and civil discussions involving firearms are forbidden??
Knock it off! >:(

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I think Ive already decided on the Ruger. I also have a Glock .40 model 22, but like you said its just too damn expensive to shoot all the time.

Sounds like a good choice......... if my dad would let me borrow his Ruger I wouldn't have to buy my own........grrrrrr.............B|
"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall;
Good times and riches and sons of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall!"

Update. So Ive made up my mind and here is what I decided. Im buying both the RugerMK3 AND the Sig Sauer! Just picked up the Sig today and will likely go down to Impact sometime this week to get the MK3. The thing is that our BX doesnt have any ruger .22's so I 'impulse' bought the sig because I liked the trigger pull and the feel and weight of the gun. So next weekend it will be the MK3 and then its off to the range with my friend to shoot .22 all day and not pay far out the ass for the ammo.

Thanks again guys for all the info. It feels good to have something that doesnt shoot the money-hungry .40smith that my Glock likes, but still be able to get quality practice and fun on the weekends.!B|;):)

Muff #5048

I had a 22 high standard for years. It was a great automatic. It had a super trigger, and was deadly accurate. I've even shot the heads off grouse with it.

I always wanted a revolver and finally settled on a taurus 22 in stainless. The price was right. I have absolutely no complaints. It has adjustable sights and has a good trigger. It shoots great.

I bought my daughter a taurus ultra light revolver in 38 special. It had fixed sights and a short barrel. It won't group worth a darn. The sights are off too. I think she'll trade it off on a better gun.

I was just wondering why anyone would want a silencer. They would work great if you were a hit man, but what other use would there be?....

Why a silencer? (I was pondering asking the OP the same question)

A few reasons -

You don't already have one. (a valid reason for any gun related purchase)

They are really cool. (also valid for any gun related purchase)

You are in an area that it is legal to discharge firearms, can do so safely, but don't want to annoy the neighbors or local animals (or the wife) with the noise.

You want to shoot without ear protection.

One of the regulars at my local range recently got one for his 10/22. The noise of the bolt cycling is louder than the shot. It's pretty cool. If it wasn't such a pain going through the process, I'd get one (still thinking about it, but there's a lot involved).

BTW, Zep (lives in Spain I believe) has posted pics of his silenced rifle. He uses it for hunting (legal over there).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I was just wondering why anyone would want a silencer.

1. Its neat
2. Zombies are attracted to sound
3. See above about zombies

Ok, seriously, I think it would be fun to have, just to have. Sort of like many things in life. Why do you need a Mercedes when that Scion will drive you from point A to point B? Well, you just want one and it would be fun to have...

Although I had previously met a guy who setup a little range in his 3-car garage in the middle of a Dallas suburb about 15 years ago. He had a suppressor on his .22 and he would plink his evenings away shooting into old phone books. Not that someone *should* do that, though.

Although I had previously met a guy who setup a little range in his 3-car garage in the middle of a Dallas suburb about 15 years ago. He had a suppressor on his .22 and he would plink his evenings away shooting into old phone books. Not that someone *should* do that, though.

I did that a while back. On cold Montana days it's important to keep yourself intertained. I have a long metal shop. I welded up a bullet trap out of heavy metal. I then got out my 22 rifles and pistols. We live in town, but noone complained. All the lead and powder fumes were starting to get to me, so I quit.....Maybe there is a good reason for a silencer.

In the army we were told you could use a potato for a one shot silencer. I wonder if there is any truth to that....

you could use a potato for a one shot silencer. I wonder if there is any truth to that....

I tried that with my wife, but all she did when I brought out the potato was bitch about how I cooked it. It didn't silence her at all!
>:(:P

Oh and theres more to come. I'm picking up a Ruger 10/22 Deluxe rifle on Friday. Has a free float barrel, rail for scope (but so does my MK III) sling swivels and an all American walnut stock.

I think after that one Im going to be looking for shotguns. I REALLY love the over-under's, but I hate the price. Hell, for the price of an over-under I could buy a DAMN nice AR WITH A SCOPE to go with it!!!
Muff #5048

I think after that one Im going to be looking for shotguns. I REALLY love the over-under's, but I hate the price. Hell, for the price of an over-under I could buy a DAMN nice AR WITH A SCOPE to go with it!!!

EAA imports the Russian Baikal IZH27 over-under. While not pretty they work great for trap and you can't beat the $500 price tag.

EAA imports the Russian Baikal IZH27 over-under. While not pretty they work great for trap and you can't beat the $500 price tag.

Sweet! Now the question is does Impact sell them?
Muff #5048