BillyVance

More stupidity from PETA

I agree that our pointy teeth did not evovle to eat tofu, so what? Our eyes didnt evolve to read out altimeters either. Your committing the naturalstic fallacy. Just because something is natural does not mean its good. A comet destroying our civilisation would be natural, us doing somethig to stop it would be unnatural, I presume you wouldnt go with the natual alternative their. So please dont give me naturalistic BS.
Also please dont make a straw man, I dint say that eating meat = torture, I asked why someone would object to torturing animals but not object to killing them. In my book both torture and murder are awful things to do although they are not the same crimes. But I fail to understand why torture is not acceptable , but killing is.

One might argue you need to kill for meat if the like expectancy of vegatarians was lower than meat eaters, but it isnt. So where's the justification?

I've always believed that if I stopped eating meat, my eyes would slowly get all big and dopey and move over to the sides of my head, my teeth would flatten out and I would start chewing from side to side, and when walking around, I would have to stop and check out every noise I heard. Isn't that typical for herbivores (aka "prey")?
:)B|:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

One might argue you need to kill for meat if the like expectancy of vegatarians was lower than meat eaters, but it isnt. So where's the justification?

I need no "argument" to justify eating meat, thanks.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

then why present your opinions on a forum if you can present no justification?

You asked a question, and I answered it - if you feel that answer is insufficient, then that is YOUR issue, not mine.

I have no need to justify my actions or my opinions to you or anyone else. My opinion and my actions are just that - mine. Yours are different, and that's fine, too.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

then why present your opinions on a forum if you can present no justification?

Have to agree with mike.
I got my eyes set in the front of my head for binocular vision, sharp canine teeth, and can run forward fast than backwards. No justifications are needed for eating meat.

Natures rules, not mine.

If I was meant to eat alfalfa, I would have three stomaches.:D
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

>I got my eyes set in the front of my head for binocular vision

So do a great many monkeys who eat only vegetable matter.

>sharp canine teeth,

People don't have sharp canine teeth. They're the same size as the rest of our teeth and less sharp than our incisors (incisors are intended for shearing off plant matter.)

>and can run forward fast than backwards.

True of sheep, horses and goats as well. Indeed, buffalo can run forward a lot faster than you; does that indicate you're more of a grasseater than they are?

We've become somewhat poorly adapted omnivores over the years as our available diets have changed. This has to do with the advent of civilization, not our dentition, ability to pursue prey or digestive fitness. As a concrete example of this, try to eat a carrot that's growing in the ground with just your hands and teeth. Now try to eat a living cow.

Now try to eat a living cow.

I've tried on many occasions. Almost finished the whole thing a couple of times:ph34r:

Now try to eat a living cow.

Imagine the cow is a sphere.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Even if we were perfectly adapted to being a carnivore and all of Bilvons objetions were wrong (which they are not) this is still the naturalistic fallacy. Why is something preferable just because it is natural? Its natural for us to die when falling form a great height , but humans modify their enviroment to suit them, hence the parachute. Similarly we have 0 need to eat animals and if we wish to modify our diet we can easliy do so. So the question is not one of, whats natural, who cares whats natural? The people who go on about it being natural dont walk around without clothes, they dont object to mdoern medicine. the question is what is ethical?

A lot of it is cultural also. Great white sharks and Killer Whales both will eat only what they were taught to eat. If you took a Great white and moved it from south africa to california, it may survive, but it would be difficult because the way it hunts and the food it usually hunts is no longer available.

I grew up in Alaska hunting and fishing. Unprocessed meat was a regular part of my diet. There were times where if I didn't track down that deer, I didn't eat that night. It's ingrained in me.

Could I choose to stop eating meat? Yes. To me though that would be like cutting off an arm. Wouldn't do it willingly.

If you were raised to drink non-fat skim milk mochachino frappes, eat toffu covered in hay, and know all the good stalking techniques to sneak up on a good deal at a supermarket, good on you. That is your sub-culture of the human species. My sub-culture involves getting out into the woods for more than an afternoon, living off the land on occasion, and enjoying everything that was put on this earth, including meat.

I don't look down at or make fun of people who choose to live there life different than mine, and I don't try to force my values on anyone else. Being in the military i've been around the world many times now and I have seen many different cultures and many people do many strange things. It's not wrong, its just who they are.

:ph34r:The only exception being picking fights on the internet with complete strangers:ph34r:

I don't look down at or make fun of people who choose to live their life different than mine, and I don't try to force my values on anyone else.

then SC probably isn't the place for you

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't look down at or make fun of people who choose to live their life different than mine, and I don't try to force my values on anyone else.

then SC probably isn't the place for you
LMAO :D:D:D
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Ive never heard of any evidence of cultural transmission in great white sharks. I happen to have seen a great white shark that swam from Hawaii to California , it happened to eat exactly the same stuff as those Id seen in South Africa. (Pinnipeds)
Of course if your life depends upon tracking down a deer then it would unreasonable to find fault with that. But for the vast majority of people there is no such pressure. What my point is, is that it's incredbily inconcistsnet for poeple to condenm cruelty to animlas and yet have no problem with their unnecesary slaughter.

I agree that our pointy teeth did not evovle to eat tofu, so what? Our eyes didnt evolve to read out altimeters either. Your committing the naturalstic fallacy. Just because something is natural does not mean its good.

Case in point.... It was natural for early man to kill and eat meat, thus allowing our brain sizes to increase (due to the proteins) giving man the ability to climb down from the trees and use tools. This, in turn, allowed natural selection to place us at the top of the food chain.... And look where it got us! Now we get to listen to a few/bunch of folks, who are a few french fries short of a happy meal IMHO, spout off how it's tortuous and uncivilized to eat anything other then grains, fruits, and nuts. Perhaps we are what we eat afterall... :P
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

>It was natural for early man to kill and eat meat, thus allowing our
>brain sizes to increase (due to the proteins) giving man the ability to climb
>down from the trees and use tools.

You know, I eat mostly vegetarian, and if other people want to eat lots of meat (or eat vegan) more power to them. But the ridiculous rationalizations that people post for why they eat meat just make me laugh. Protein making our brains evolve? A lack of protein in plants? Primates "naturally killing and eating meat?" That's even better than "we have sharp canines that let us dismember animals!"

>But the ridiculous rationalizations that people post for why they eat meat just make me laugh.

absolutely, as do the ridiculous rationalizations that people post for why they don't

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Bilvon is right as he so often is. Eating a meat based diet does not make your brain grow more, thats yet another silly rationalisation. The reason I dont eat meat is because I feel empathy for the animal being killed, whats silly about that?