ridestrong

State of the Union Address

This was on Fact Check..........

His State of the Union speech skipped over a variety of complex realities in laying out a "common-sense" call to action.

A look at some of his claims and how they compare with the facts:

OBAMA: "Starting in 2011, we are prepared to freeze government spending for three years. Spending related to our national security, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security will not be affected. But all other discretionary government programs will. Like any cash-strapped family, we will work within a budget to invest in what we need and sacrifice what we don't."

THE FACTS: The anticipated savings from this proposal would amount to less than one percent of the deficit -- and that's if the president can persuade Congress to go along.

Obama is a convert to the cause of broad spending freezes. In the presidential campaign, he criticized Republican opponent John McCain for suggesting one. "The problem with a spending freeze is you're using a hatchet where you need a scalpel," he said a month before the election. Now, Obama wants domestic spending held steady in most areas where the government can control year to year costs. The proposal is similar to McCain's.

------

OBAMA: "I've called for a bipartisan fiscal commission, modeled on a proposal by Republican Judd Gregg and Democrat Kent Conrad. This can't be one of those Washington gimmicks that lets us pretend we solved a problem. The commission will have to provide a specific set of solutions by a certain deadline. Yesterday, the Senate blocked a bill that would have created this commission. So I will issue an executive order that will allow us to go forward, because I refuse to pass this problem on to another generation of Americans."

THE FACTS: Any commission that Obama creates would be a weak substitute for what he really wanted -- a commission created by Congress that could force lawmakers to consider unpopular remedies to reduce the debt, including curbing politically sensitive entitlements like Social Security and Medicare. That idea crashed in the Senate this week, defeated by equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans. Any commission set up by Obama alone would lack authority to force its recommendations before Congress, and would stand almost no chance of success.

------

OBAMA: Discussing his health care initiative, he said: "Our approach would preserve the right of Americans who have insurance to keep their doctor and their plan."

THE FACTS: The Democratic legislation now hanging in limbo on Capitol Hill aims to keep people with employer-sponsored coverage -- the majority of Americans under age 65 -- in the plans they already have. But Obama can't guarantee g point of contention for the president. In December, the administration reported that recipients of direct assistance from the government created or saved about 650,000 jobs. The number was based on self-reporting by recipients and some of the calculations were shown to be in error.

The Congressional Budget Office has been much more guarded than Obama in characterizing the success of the stimulus plan. In November, it reported that the stimulus increased the number of people employed by between 600,000 and 1.6 million "compared with what those values would have been otherwise." It said the ranges "reflect the uncertainty of such estimates." And it added: "It is impossible to determine how many of the reported jobs would have existed in the absence of the stimulus package."

------

OBAMA: He called for action by the White House and Congress "to do our work openly, and to give our people the government they deserve."

THE FACTS: Obama skipped past a broken promise from his campaign -- to have the negotiations for health care legislation broadcast on C-SPAN "so that people can see who is making arguments on behalf of their constituents, and who are making arguments on behalf of the drug companies or the insurance companies." Instead, Democrats in the White House and Congress have conducted the usual private negotiations, making multibillion-dollar deals with hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and other stakeholders behind closed doors. Nor has Obama lived up consistently to his pledge to ensure that legislation is posted online for five days before it's acted upon.

------

OBAMA: "We will continue to go through the budget line by line to eliminate programs that we can't afford and don't work. We've already identified $20 billion in savings for next year."

THE FACTS: Identifying savings is far from achieving them. If the past is any guide, little will result from this exercise because Congress routinely rejects the White House's suggested spending cuts.

------

OBAMA: "The United States and Russia are completing negotiations on the farthest-reaching arms control treaty in nearly two decades."

THE FACTS: Despite insisting early last year that they would complete the negotiations in time to avoid expiration of the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty in early December, the U.S. and Russia failed to do so. And while officials say they think a deal on a new treaty is within reach, there has been no breakthrough. A new round of talks is set to start Monday. One important sticking point: disagreement over including missile defense issues in a new accord. If completed, the new deal may arguably be the farthest-reaching arms control treaty since the original 1991 agreement. An interim deal reached in 2002 did not include its own rules on verifying nuclear reductions.

------

OBAMA: Drawing on classified information, he claimed more success than his predecessor at killing terrorists: "And in the last year, hundreds of al-Qaida's fighters and affiliates, including many senior leaders, have been captured or killed -- far more than in 2008."

THE FACTS: It is an impossible claim to verify. Neither the Bush nor the Obama administration has published enemy body counts, particularly those targeted by armed drones in the Pakistan-Afghan border region. The pace of drone attacks has increased dramatically in the last 18 months, according to congressional officials briefed on the secret program.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Interesting pole where I live.... people were asked what they wanted to hear about the most....

Economy/jobs, healthcare, the war, and the last one I will not be watching (no confidence).

The latter was at 65% of people. (-/+3)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

More fact checks concerning the SC ruling on campaign finance reform

The Politifact.org fact-checking organizing evaluated Obama's statements and determined they were "barely true," adding "We found Obama was exaggerating the impact of the ruling."

According to Fitton, the president -- who taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago before he ran for the U.S. Senate -- was wrong on two counts: There was no century-old precedent in the case, and the ruling did not alter restrictions involving electioneering by foreign-based companies.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Politifact.org

Looking at the site:

Mostly True
Half True
True
True
Barely True
Mostly True
False
Half-True
Mostly True
Full Flop

That's more truth that I've seen from any politician in the last decade.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Personally I think that having everyione serve for two years after high schooland in trade you get two years of college for free no strings. It would help a lot of kids grow the hell up... and perhaps instill some discipline into their lives that would last a lifetime.

+1
We are all engines of karma

...plus his speech barely had a footnote about national security.

Did we watch the same speech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1Luc26S_M

I saw a full five minutes on national defense, military support and our objectives, beginning at 4:40, and going to the end of the clip. Five minutes out of a 69-minute speech is more than a footnote.

Politifact.org

Looking at the site:

Mostly True
Half True
True
True
Barely True
Mostly True
False
Half-True
Mostly True
Full Flop

That's more truth that I've seen from any politician in the last decade.

Ok

guess thats good enough?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Personally I think that having everyione serve for two years after high schooland in trade you get two years of college for free no strings. It would help a lot of kids grow the hell up... and perhaps instill some discipline into their lives that would last a lifetime.

+1

I agree and disagree, I cant imagine where I would be right now without the military, but Ive also seen a ton of people that dont want to be here, and they really make it suck for the rest of us.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yea, I saw that too and I thought that was pretty shitty. Do gays bleed differently? Do they want to die for their country differently than a straight soldier does? They (the brightly dressed military guys we're talking about) shouldn't be in any high ranking military position if that is their stance. They should be welcoming anybody and everybody who wants to fight for our country. Just my opinion, but we all know the saying what those are like....

Well, they could form their own battalion, and then, the straight soldiers wouldn't have to worry about shower time....Making rainbow camoflage might be difficult.

+1

I agree and disagree, I cant imagine where I would be right now without the military, but Ive also seen a ton of people that dont want to be here, and they really make it suck for the rest of us.

That has been true in all times and all militaries.. there is a LOT that could be done to make this a better country just by having them there and putting them to work.Not all of them need to be "at arms" but it gives you a pool from which to select those who do excel and take the military to heart. Not all units are always front line... think about some of the traditional uses of the national guard in times of natural disaster. There is also a history of civil works being carried out by armies over the centuries. To some extent there will need to be NCO's stuck being baby sitters... but that certainly happens anyway in some units:ph34r:

+1

That has been true in all times and all militaries.. there is a LOT that could be done to make this a better country just by having them there and putting them to work.Not all of them need to be "at arms" but it gives you a pool from which to select those who do excel and take the military to heart. Not all units are always front line... think about some of the traditional uses of the national guard in times of natural disaster. There is also a history of civil works being carried out by armies over the centuries. To some extent there will need to be NCO's stuck being baby sitters... but that certainly happens anyway in some units:ph34r:

Aint that the damn truth...never before did I picture myself having to babysit grown ass men...B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

That was one of my prime motivators of getting out at 8 years.. I had a line number for another stripe... and I was already working with students rarely and having to train and "manage" the new troops...... drove me nutz... and I was outta there.

Im about to finish my 5th year in, of a 6 year contract, got my e-5 last June, its not quite as easy as I thought it would be... and I cant imagine how much worse it would be with a group of whiny ass snot nosed kids that just want free college, and dont give a damn about their jobs.

But just think about how much you could do to change their futures....especially since so many dont grow up with a decent role model.

More of them need to have a sense of service drilled into them as well.

I am one of those who took JFK's message to heart.... and it would help this country to have that instilled in a new generation.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. " -JFK

In case you have never read the whole speech... some may think its corny or outdated but I for one do not believe so.

http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/speeches/John_F_Kennedy/5.htm

...plus his speech barely had a footnote about national security.

Did we watch the same speech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1Luc26S_M

I saw a full five minutes on national defense, military support and our objectives, beginning at 4:40, and going to the end of the clip. Five minutes out of a 69-minute speech is more than a footnote.

Try again. What begins at 4:40 is a series of platitudes. Something resembling near-substances starts at 6:00 runs to about 6:50. At 7:25 he talks about fulfilling the SOFA signed by President Bush...interesting that American forces will in fact still be in Iraq...notice he said, "combat troops". It all stops and becomes fluff again at 8:20-ish. After that, it becomes Veterans Affairs.

Even if it were a full five minutes, it is still not enough. Two active war fronts, terrorist attacks and attempted attacks in the past four months, five minutes of actual substance is barely enough out of a 70 minute speech.

Footnote.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"Oh oh.... the generals and admirals didn't like the bit about getting rid of don't ask dont' tell......those were some serriously icy stares....

but if it lets more closeted republicans serve.. I guess its a good thing.."

SNL just poked fun at the speech with their President Obama saying that getting rid of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" would create 30,000 new jobs and two new series on Bravo.

The funny thing is most of the Republicans (excluding John McCain) who want to keep the status quo on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" have never served in the military. Some have gotten two and three deferments.

Straights and gays are already serving together and some are serving quite open with their commands blessings in defiance of DADT. The shower thing is an overly hashed excuse that has no basis of fact. I served in Thailand during Vietnam with a gay CMSGT and 1st. Lt. No problems at all Nada.

Bill

Some of the young officers are looking the other way when it comes to DADT. There are some gays and lesbians serving quite open in their respective units.

How can some of these Senators and Representatives who want to keep DADT condone the firing of a model soldier working in a drug interdiction unit just cause he's gay, yet have a recently discovered hitman for a drug cartel (PFC Apodaca) firing Patriot missles at Ft. Bliss, TX Or condone the firing of Chief Operating Room Flight Nurse Major Margaret Witt, an outstanding Air Force Officer, just because they somehow find out she's a lesbian yet keep a straight shrink in Maj Nidal Hassan who had a less than stellar military record at best and went on that murderous rampage at Ft. Hood, TX

Even if it were a full five minutes, it is still not enough.

Last I checked, there is a hell of a lot more going on in the US than our wars. And last I checked, the average American thinks the economy is the biggest issue. He gave the military 7% of his speech time - it was appropriate, IMO, given our other issues.

Calen - yes, my point is that these posters are hacking on the military types, when the issue isn't usually with military leadership, it's just congress doing what congress does - twists any issue in order to make political hay. But they won't listen to people like us - their definition of pure evil includes anything in a uniform

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants