Gene03

Jesus Rifles

No, I don't think it was intentional, and certainly not malicious. People are sometimes unintentionally condescending without intending to give offense, but they do. I admit I do that sometimes. I think that's what occurred.

Good point. I think we all do this. One thing I try like hell to look out for is conceit growing in me. Im open to redirection if the Holy Spirit takes me there. "Wisdom is proven right by all her children." I really am trying to listen always...
"We didn't start the fire"

And where does it say that?

There is a beginning and end to everything. "I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end" I believe that is actually in the Gospel itself... The bible also refers to God as "I am". So you ask who made God, and the bible tells you that God is. That may sound vague, but again, its really all I got.:|

Do you think the muslims believe that? I think they associate christiantity with the U.S., and therefore the U.S. flag represents christianity. Just as they associate judaism with the nation of Israel.

Many of them do think like that. We are trying to keep that idea from taking hold any more than it already has.

At most bases in Afghanistan I visited, the US and Afghan flags flew side by side. This is not an accident, nor is it liberal, pussy, PC shit. The Afghans obviously know that Arericans are in their country. The message we try to stay on (and things like these scopes distract from) is, "We are here to help you help yourselves." The messages we desperately want to avoid broadcasting are, "We are here to occupy and force you to live like us," and, "We are here to destroy Islam and replace it with Christianity." That's what the enemy wants the people to think. Little things like these scopes, or soldiers passing out Bibles, or big things like collateral damage to mosques, or mullahs being accidentally lit up like what happened earlier this week, make it really hard to maintain a consistent message.

- Dan G

Do you think the muslims believe that? I think they associate christiantity with the U.S., and therefore the U.S. flag represents christianity. Just as they associate judaism with the nation of Israel.

Many of them do think like that. We are trying to keep that idea from taking hold any more than it already has.

At most bases in Afghanistan I visited, the US and Afghan flags flew side by side. This is not an accident, nor is it liberal, pussy, PC shit. The Afghans obviously know that Arericans are in their country. The message we try to stay on (and things like these scopes distract from) is, "We are here to help you help yourselves." The messages we desperately want to avoid broadcasting are, "We are here to occupy and force you to live like us," and, "We are here to destroy Islam and replace it with Christianity." That's what the enemy wants the people to think. Little things like these scopes, or soldiers passing out Bibles, or big things like collateral damage to mosques, or mullahs being accidentally lit up like what happened earlier this week, make it really hard to maintain a consistent message.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

I don't think you have a clue as to what you're actually talking about. You might want to read up on statements made by the US military.

But, but, I do have a clue, and I also agree with LouDiamond. I personally would not put Bible verses on gun sights if I were producing them, but worrying about offending moslems is a bit much.

Then why did you make a statement regarding atheists? That's not what this is about at all.

You are the moderator and up to speed on all posts. I have been jumping in and out.

Is there any evidence that any Muslims have actually been offended by these encrypted Bible verses on the Trijicon sights? It just keeps sounding like some people are worried about offending the intended target.

This became a topic of conversation on the Vietnam Veterans of America Talklist as well. Guess the direction of majority opinion over there? That's right, many are desiring to purchase one for their .223 caliber/5.56mm hunting rifles.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

So what is the problem with putting alphanumeric references to bible verses on weapons optics?

We're in an IO war. IO wars can be won or lost on seemingly insignificant events. For example, was Abu Gharaib a "big deal"? While it was certainly well outside of what we expect of American Soldiers, much worse happened in that prison while it was being run by Saddam. But it became a big deal because it played right into insurgency and AQ talking points about how the Americans were here to occupy Iraq and were no better than Saddam. The bible verses on the sights are ammunition for our enemies' IO wings. Will they lose the war for us? No, of course not. But they can be used by enemy recruiters to convince recruits that this war is a justified holy war to defend Islam from the invading Christians. That's the exact opposite of our goal.

This.

Does it affect performance? Not at all. Is it necessary? Not at all. Does it give ammunition to those who need all the propaganda points they can muster? Absolutely.

I'm glad it's being removed, the current owners recognize it does nothing to improve what is an effective tool the soldiers need. I do wonder if the founder would have made the same decision, or if his need to "spread the word" would have overridden our soldier's need for effective tools.

but make no mistake, especially in light of this recent earthquake, the signs of the end times are already appearing. How many do we need before we start believing?

I try to stay away from these absurd religious debates but this is just too much.

Apparently you do not understand that earthquakes are a natural occurance and have been happening on this planet for billions of years. Earthquakes happen every day somewhere. There may be one happening right now but not reported because it causes no damage or is so deep in the earths surface that it is not felt by humans. Minor earthquakes occur constantly and major ones like the one in Haiti occur less frequently (on average earthquakes with a magnitude of 7 or higher only occur 10 to 15 times per year)

Earthquakes are no more a sign of the "end times" than say a thunderstorm, a wave on the ocean, or an avalanche. These things just happen and there is always an objective, credible explaination for each occurance.

If earthquakes are a sign of the end times then I would submit they are not a reliable indicator since they have been happening since the begining of time.

The earthquake in Haiti was caused by a shift in the tectonic plates in the earths surface, not because some supernatural being decided to punish the Haitian people or signal the rest of us that the end times are aproaching.

It is all in your mind.
Onward and Upward!

>but make no mistake, especially in light of this recent earthquake,
>the signs of the end times are already appearing. How many do we need
>before we start believing?

You know, it's tempting to believe that we live in the worst, most immoral, most disaster-prone etc time ever, and that must mean that something is coming to a head.

But that's just the old "grass is greener" thing. You really think we are worse off now than in 1931, when four million Chinese were killed in floods? Or 1887, when almost two million were killed? Or the Black Plague, a disease that killed off fifty percent of Europe's population? I mean, imagine that - a 50-50 chance of you dying, and watching half of your friends and families dying a slow death. Are we really worse off today?

Looking at things realistically, there have been a lot more "end times" events in years past than there are today - and the world has never ended.

It is all in your mind

Well your absolutely right about that. And, your right about earthquakes. However...

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

15"So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation, let the reader understand

So, Ill say it again... how many signs do we need? And you will say, "but these things have been happening since the beginning ect"... becasue you cant hear the question I am asking. Why not just say that the what Jesus is saying in the Gospel has been happening for centuries, and is still happening? Or is it just a coincidence that he said this... so that he could be followed and admired by many to come after him... of course, after he is horrifically crucified and spat upon that is.

Why would anyone want to be the bearer of this message? Why would anyone want to speak the truth in thier heart to the entire world of hungry and ravishing wolves just waiting to devour?

Tell you what. Find a TV camera crew and expose to them every secret you carry... reveal everything... I mean all the dirt. Then you will see how the world responds to truth.

Looking at things realistically, there have been a lot more "end times" events in years past than there are today - and the world has never ended.

Of course your right. I do have a mind of my own ya know;)

It seems that one line drew alot of response. I dont think it is spoken out of context, and it is still something I believe and keep in mind. I dont want to shout the return of Christ is coming becasue of an earthquake, and I think you know that.

All Im saying is that how many times are we going to continue to say that same thing? There will be an end, and I think I know you hate that I believe that (hate is a strong word, but you know what I mean), but, soon means inevitably.

I ask this question because I am seriously curious to know how far the signs will have to go before people start giving an ear? I dont want the end of the world to come, but that doesnt mean it wont... not only that, I think I have experinced that the greatest things happen when you least expect so. Basically, I dont want to expect the end of the world, but how do i know it is going to be as bad as it sounds? You know, death just may invite us into a world no eye has seen, no ear has heard. Im not going to give up on that hope. To be honest, I dont have a reason to... that is, with all these extrememly intelligent people on these forums, no one has made a dent... respectively.

Im no different than anyone else on these SC threads. Everyone is sharpening their own belief and challenging what they believe in a very real, intelligent, and educated forum. To which everything said can be, and is, held accountable.

You may remember that I did come to a revelation about homosexuality on these forums, amongst other things, but I havent been here long, and ultimately it is understanding that can/should prevail here.

Now, you didnt have to read all that, but it is written anyway. It seems there is plenty of inspiration in the forums on dz.com... who wouldve guessed;)

But that's just the old "grass is greener" thing. You really think we are worse off now than in 1931, when four million Chinese were killed in floods? Or 1887, when almost two million were killed? Or the Black Plague, a disease that killed off fifty percent of Europe's population? I mean, imagine that - a 50-50 chance of you dying, and watching half of your friends and families dying a slow death. Are we really worse off today?

This is a very good point.

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains...

So, Ill say it again... how many signs do we need? And you will say, "but these things have been happening since the beginning ect"... becasue you cant hear the question I am asking. Why not just say that the what Jesus is saying in the Gospel has been happening for centuries, and is still happening? Or is it just a coincidence that he said this...

Uh... what? Was it coincidence that Jesus said there would be war, famine and earthquakes?

No Sport, it's not coincidence. It's stating the really fucking obvious.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I ask this question because I am seriously curious to know how far the signs will have to go before people start giving an ear?

I'd say that to start off with, the "signs" would have to be something other than stuff that's been happening constantly for the entirety of recorded human history and far, far beyond.

An earthquake is not a sign. It is a natural consequence of how the world works.

That is exactly the point. Its not that these things have not been happening... I think we all know that. Its that at what point do they begin to be seen as prophetic fulfillment? Jesus is speaking about the time he will return again... he's not giving us a geology and history lesson. He is telling us that when we see these things happening, that the end is near.

That is exactly the point. Its not that these things have not been happening... I think we all know that. Its that at what point do they begin to be seen as prophetic fulfillment?

By rational people? Never, because it's not prophecy. It's like "prophesying" that the sun will rise in the east.

By some Christians? Constantly and continuously, ever since Jesus died.

He is telling us that when we see these things happening, that the end is near.

When who sees it happening? Some people have been 'seeing' it for the last 2,000 years.

That is exactly the point. Its not that these things have not been happening... I think we all know that. Its that at what point do they begin to be seen as prophetic fulfillment? Jesus is speaking about the time he will return again... he's not giving us a geology and history lesson. He is telling us that when we see these things happening, that the end is near.

The pessimist economist is always right. "There's a recession coming." The economy booms. "There's a recession coming." The economy booms. "There's a recession coming." The economy tanks. "See, I told you so."
You are just taking this one step further. You tell us the inevitable is going to happen and then tell us the fulfillment of your prediction is proof of something else.

The pessimist economist is always right. "There's a recession coming." The economy booms. "There's a recession coming." The economy booms. "There's a recession coming." The economy tanks. "See, I told you so."
You are just taking this one step further. You tell us the inevitable is going to happen and then tell us the fulfillment of your prediction is proof of something else.

That is one way to see it yes. Another way to see it is that the prophesy is being heard by greater amounts of people, really than ever before. With the advent of the internet and the worlds biggest legal militia... the media... we hear the rumors more quickly and more emphatically. In otherwards, we see more of the signs than ever before as one world eye. However, the Gospel is clear that the biggest sign will be the anti Christ. He has not yet appeared, but his spirit is definitely inspiring his "chain of command."

This isnt me being a pessimist. This is me telling you the prophesy in the Gospel, thats it. Believe it or dont believe it, its not like Christians are called to kill you... unlike other "truths" out there.

Well, not to get all Clinton-esque, but I suppose that depends on one's definition of "near". Mt. Vesuvius kablooied and entombed a whole bunch of locals in ca. 79 A.D., which was only a few years after when Jesus probably died. The people of Pompeii and Herculaneum certainly saw that happening; and their end most surely drew nigh. For them. But not for us. When do we say a natural occurrence is the true portent of the The Big One? The Black Death plague of the 14th Century? Krakatoa in 1883? The Siberian meteor strike in 1908? Mt. St. Helens in 1980? You're demonstrating the human nature of mistakenly presuming the primacy and/or uniqueness of things occurring in your own lifetime.

but I suppose that depends on one's definition of "near

I agree.

You're demonstrating the human nature of mistakenly presuming the primacy and/or uniqueness of things occurring in your own lifetime.

Yes and No. Im merely pointing out what many Christians have been pointing out since Jesus told us of what was to come. I am fully aware that these things have been happening since the beginning, and there is nothing at all unique about it to me... at least not yet.

Even the Apostles thought Jesus would return in their lifetime... that was 2000 years ago. The point is not to predict, but to recognize, wait, and be ready. Thats it. But make no mistake about it. When someone tells you the world would be better if we just eliminated God by eliminating the believers... that is the budding spirit of the anti Christ, and people need to know that.

Another way to see it is that the prophesy is being heard by greater amounts of people, really than ever before. With the advent of the internet and the worlds biggest legal militia... the media... we hear the rumors more quickly and more emphatically.

Oh, right. So Jesus predicted the internet now?

Al Gore isn't Jesus - thought the left did want someone to worship, they were able to transfer that from a more failed slow talking pretentious 'almost' deity - to the current slow talking pretentious super spender

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

...and much more efficient and expediant travel... he was/is a very wise "man" to say the least. He may have even been more wise than you? We are not too far off from everyone in the world hearing and seeing the same thing at the same time, as one eye, one ear.

A message can go very far in todays technology... just imagine 20 or 50 years from now. I didnt even have the internet till 2001.. may have been 2002. All im saying is that just as you cant ignore certain things, neither can I. That is, you cant seem to ignore the need for evidence to believe, and I cant ignore what is in my mind.

...and much more efficient and expediant travel... he was/is a very wise man to say the least. He may have even been more wise than you?

So what else did he predict? I mean other than the things that have already happened and of course the apocalypse. How about telling us about prophesies that we might see in our lifetime. FTL travel? teleportation? Genetic based age reversing? C'mon, throw us a bone.