DickMcMahon

December 25th a Pagan holiday

>i'm not sure if i fully understand what you're trying to say; could you
>please elaborate!?

You just said that the next elections will show a massive landslide to the right, and that you will force people to fucking RESPECT your traditions. Which is fine. Just accept it when people fucking force you to respect theirs, by (say) banning caroling or something.

Personally, I prefer to let them do their own thing while I do mine. But it's your country, and if you'd rather tell others what to do (and be told by them what to do) that's fine.

>next elections will show a massive landslide to the right.. i'm not alone with that!

Sounds like your country is being taken over by a "moral majority" that is offended by things that don't really concern them. Which is fine. Just don't bitch when other people do that to you.

No. They are concerned. The country is not "taken over" by any majority, it's just normal Swiss style. They decide for themselves, the majority decides. That's why they still are Swiss.

This is why they nearly never have been involved in any wars, conflicts ..... around them. That little fly sh*t on the map was/is independant.

(What I disliked in this country: They did not allow me to buy a weapon I REALLY wanted to have, shown in a showcase >:( I am German. They said NO. :S)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Seriously, the majority deciding to deny the rights of the minority is never a good thing.

What if the majority decided to allow slavery? Would that make it ok?

Or, what if the majority decided to make gays second class citizens, depriving them of the right to marry the person of their choice?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

This is why they nearly never have been involved in any wars, conflicts ..... around them

Except as mercenaries.

But nowadays no one wants to hire mercenaries with nothing but those little folding knives with the tiny pair of scissors in them.
:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

This is why they nearly never have been involved in any wars, conflicts ..... around them

Except as mercenaries.

But nowadays no one wants to hire mercenaries with nothing but those little folding knives with the tiny pair of scissors in them.
:P

that's loooong time ago; we now have folding knives that can be opened single-handedly! ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I think you have it messed up. A real Pagan Holiday is celebrated in a number of States. Originally just in New Orleans. Mardi-Gras is nothing more than a celebration of the dead, and the spirits who (Some think) are still active in the after life. Personally I think it's all bunk, but that's just my opinion.

The original version of Jesus's Birth Day is written in the King James Version of God's word, and although it doesn't really affix a date, the seasons and the people coming to Jeresulem to pay their taxes was the best the prophet could do to document the time period of this special gift to man, God's son was sent (Sacrificed) to die for the sins of all mankind that we all may have everlasting life in heaven after our journey on earth is completed. A lot of people take "Christ" out of Christmas by calling it X-Mas.

Just remember "Jesus Is The Reason For The Season"

And this year, those of us that have been blessed, should bless those who have not been blessed and give somone with nothing a token of your blessing to them and give God the glory.

Please, no flamers.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

It's actually an ancient Persian holiday to celebrate the longest night of the year.
There is even a "santa" except his african and represents father time.
So find your local Persian and thank him or her for giving you another great reason to spend time with friends and family.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

It's actually an ancient Persian holiday to celebrate the longest night of the year.
So find your local Persian and thank him or her for giving you another great reason to spend time with friends and family.

Contrary to Persian belief, there's plenty of other cultures that have celebrated midwinter, and many of them claim to be first to do so.

If you do, in fact, have some proof that the Persian people were, in fact, the first to do so, then by all means provide it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

History Of Mardi Gras Here

No matter how or why it started, it is now and has been for years a "Celebration Of The Dead" And they make no "bones" about it. There's a lot of Voo-Doo & Black magic still being practiced there to this day. Trust me, I've worked with them. I've seen it up close and personal. Most unnerving.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Perhaps you're mistaking me with another poster - I made no mention of Mardi Gras.

However - while Mardi Gras may exhibit some tenuous connection with Saturnalia (as per your link), it is celebrated immediately prior to Lent (with other 'farewell to meat" celebrations)(Carnival) and not at the winter solstice.

Saturnalia was a celebration of the god Saturn at the winter solstice, and not a celebration of the dead, such as Samhain or Dia de la Muerte, which are Fall events.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The original version of Jesus's Birth Day is written in the King James Version of God's word, and although it doesn't really affix a date, the seasons and the people coming to Jeresulem to pay their taxes was the best the prophet could do to document the time period of this special gift to man, God's son was sent (Sacrificed) to die for the sins of all mankind that we all may have everlasting life in heaven after our journey on earth is completed. A lot of people take "Christ" out of Christmas by calling it X-Mas.

Just remember "Jesus Is The Reason For The Season"

Thing is though, that's all a load of bunk as well.

Jesus ain't the reason for the season, it's just the most prevalent brand to have latched onto it in the western world.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The original version of Jesus's Birth Day is written in the King James Version of God's word

A lot of people take "Christ" out of Christmas by calling it X-Mas.

I find the first part funny. the original is in the King James, priceless!

The second part, you do know that the X is the Chi from Greek, the first letter of Christos, right?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Contrary to Persian belief, there's plenty of other cultures that have celebrated midwinter, and many of them claim to be first to do so.

If you do, in fact, have some proof that the Persian people were, in fact, the first to do so, then by all means provide it.

Well said. Ceremonial celebration of solstice and equinox predate recorded history; which is to say we know it was important to people before they had the ability to document why. The early purveyors and brokers of organized religions capitalized on the accepted but ignorant recognition of importance; then invented reasons for that importance that supported their views.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I don't think there was much Persian influence in pre-Columbian America or in Britain and Bretagne (Brittany) at the time when Stonehenge and other megaliths were constructed. We know for sure that they considered the solstices really important because they built enormous artifacts to identify the dates.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Just remember "Jesus Is The Reason For The Season"

Well, no one really knows his birthdate; the December 25th date didn't appear until about 354 AD. But given that the best estimates of his birth _year_ are between 7 and 2 BC, I wouldn't expect the date itself to be more accurate.

Not that it matters. It's a date a lot of people agree on to celebrate his birth, no more or less accurate than someone who celebrates their birthday a week after their actual birthday due to being on a business trip or something.

>There's a lot of Voo-Doo & Black magic still being practiced there to this
>day. Trust me, I've worked with them. I've seen it up close and personal.
>Most unnerving.

Yep, well, so would a Catholic mass to someone who wasn't familiar with it. "Well, see, when we celebrate the Eucharist during Holy Communion, we eat actual body parts of a crucified man and drink his blood from a cup, while worshiping beneath an ancient symbol of torture and execution. We do this at an altar that has fragments of dead bodies embedded in it to make it more holy."

Read the article in my post above. Thanks. I think you have the KKK and Mardis Gras mixed up. ;)B|:)

From your article:

the modern incarnation of Mardi Gras in the U.S. began in Mobile, AL in 1703, with the endeavor of Michael Krafft and the formation of the Cowbellion de Rakin Society. Mobile first celebrated the Mardi Gras Carnival in 1703 when French settlers began the festivities at the Old Mobile Site.

That was fifteen years before New Orleans was founded, which didn't happen until 1718.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!