brenthutch

Why New Orleans was so damaged by Katrina

I agree to some extent. However, can you blame people who can't even fucking afford a bus ticket?

It goes so much deeper than that. Almost to the point of being impossible to believe. Remember right after Katrina when they said almost a thousand police officers just bugged out? It turns out most of them never existed to start with. Their paychecks did, but not the officers.

There are elevated roads across the city, well within walking distance for healthy people, in what was a relatively slow increase in water levels unless you were right at the levy break. The entire school bus and city bus fleets sat there, first unused, then eventually under water.

Only in the Big Easy would huge numbers of healthy people sit on their porch, knowing they lived below sea level, and watch the water rise.
Tom B

Remember right after Katrina when they said almost a thousand police officers just bugged out? It turns out most of them never existed to start with. Their paychecks did, but not the officers.

In Chicago, they would have voted.

They did. :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It goes so much deeper than that. Almost to the point of being impossible to believe. Remember right after Katrina when they said almost a thousand police officers just bugged out? It turns out most of them never existed to start with. Their paychecks did, but not the officers.

New Orleans has always had, and always will have corruption. It's one of the many things that sets this city apart from others.

There are elevated roads across the city, well within walking distance for healthy people, in what was a relatively slow increase in water levels unless you were right at the levy break. The entire school bus and city bus fleets sat there, first unused, then eventually under water.

Have you ever been in a hurricane? Try going anywhere in 120 mph winds. Sure you do it in freefall, try it standing up. There are so many things that could have been done better, but to think that you can outrun a levee break in New Orleans by any conventional means is unrealistic.

Only in the Big Easy would huge numbers of healthy people sit on their porch, knowing they lived below sea level, and watch the water rise.

You forget to mention that these same porch monkeys are also collecting welfare, social security and unemployment. Come on. Don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel!;)

New Orleans is a laid back city. Most people didn't leave because they either couldn't afford it, or couldn't care less. The latter weren't the ones begging for help.

Many people here are stubborn, and not nearly as wise as yourself. They rode out hurricanes in the past, and didn't have any troubles. They evacuated in the past, only to find out it was for no reason. They thought they were ok. Some were, some weren't.

But what the hell do I know. I'm an ignorant New Orleanian who likes to sit on his porch and drink beer on occasion.

Where Yat? :P

Have you ever been in a hurricane? Try going anywhere in 120 mph winds. Sure you do it in freefall, try it standing up. There are so many things that could have been done better, but to think that you can outrun a levee break in New Orleans by any conventional means is unrealistic.

I rode out two hurricanes, one in Corpus, the other at Coco Beach. But neither made category five the day before landfall, and I wasn't sitting 15 feet below sea level.

But the great majority of the flooding happened long after the wind was gone. Hell they even were starting to let people back in neighborhoods before the big levee break.

From everything I read, and watched live on TV as it happened, if you lived near a levee breech, say the 9th ward, it was a flash flood indeed. But for other parts of the city, it was very slow, or at least that is what the Corps of Engineers reported. I also found a private journal tonight while looking.

"The water had risen knee-deep during the storm, but despite the clearing skies, it had continued to rise one brick every 20 minutes, according to Kyle Scott, continuing its ascent well into the night."

That is the kind of reports and video that led me to suggest many could have walked to one of the elevated roadways, where rescue would have been much easier. Not out of New Orleans, just to the high roads and bridges.

But what the hell do I know. I'm an ignorant New Orleanian who likes to sit on his porch and drink beer on occasion.

Sounds very good compared to the looming winter in Ohio. I was raised on Shreveport TV however, in the times of Earl Long and Edwin Edwards. I still can't convince people here just how different Louisiana really is.

Blue ones. Enjoy the beer.
Tom B

>My coonass grandfather say's anybody that stayed around for Katrina is a dumb ass . . .

Or a democrat? I guess that would make "run away" the new republican value. (Or, per Palin, quitting.)

holy shit

:S

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.