justinb138

How is this even legal?

Reporting from Los Angeles and Sacramento - Starting Sunday, cash-strapped California will dig deeper into the pocketbooks of wage earners -- holding back 10% more than it already does in state income taxes just as the biggest shopping season of the year kicks into gear.

Technically, it's not a tax increase, even though it may feel like one when your next paycheck arrives. As part of a bundle of budget patches adopted in the summer, the state is taking more money now in withholding, even though workers' annual tax bills won't change.

Think of it as a forced, interest-free loan: You'll be repaid any extra withholding in April. Those who would receive a refund anyway will receive a larger one, and those who owe taxes will owe less.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-state-tax31-2009oct31,0,2028140.story

Forced Loan? Is this the "politically correct" term for theft?

Reporting from Los Angeles and Sacramento - Starting Sunday, cash-strapped California will dig deeper into the pocketbooks of wage earners -- holding back 10% more than it already does in state income taxes just as the biggest shopping season of the year kicks into gear.

Technically, it's not a tax increase, even though it may feel like one when your next paycheck arrives. As part of a bundle of budget patches adopted in the summer, the state is taking more money now in withholding, even though workers' annual tax bills won't change.

Think of it as a forced, interest-free loan: You'll be repaid any extra withholding in April. Those who would receive a refund anyway will receive a larger one, and those who owe taxes will owe less.

Hey, it's probably at least signed by your Governator, if not dreamed up by him.

Hey, it's probably at least signed by your Governator, if not dreamed up by him.

Dude, if you only knew the half of the creative thinking coming out of Sacramento...:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Dude, if you only knew the half of the creative thinking coming out of Sacramento...:S

It seems that if they spent half as much effort trying to actually solve the budgeting issue & cutting spending as they did coming up with questionably-legal tax collection schemes, they wouldn't have the need for them in the first place.

It seems that if they spent half as much effort trying to actually solve the budgeting issue & cutting spending as they did coming up with questionably-legal tax collection schemes, they wouldn't have the need for them in the first place.

Not quite half of their budget shortfall (around $8B) was "solved" by pushing those obligations into the next fiscal year...et voila!! It's magic!! :S[:/]B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

In April they'll probably repay the loan with an IOU.

James

Welcome to "change." [:/]

Why are you implying this has anything to do with Obama?

That's just silly.

Because its the same policies that got california into the situation they are now that the federal government, under obama, is currently implimenting. Its pretty clear.

That's just silly.

Because its the same policies that got california into the situation they are now that the federal government, under obama, is currently implimenting. Its pretty clear.

Why omit R. Reagan and George W. Bush, the great architects of Voodoo Economics?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That's just silly.

Why omit R. Reagan and George W. Bush, the great architects of Voodoo Economics?

Because O-bow-ma is doing it bigger and better than they did - taking money from the rich and giving it out to the poor.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That's just silly.

Wow. That was more of a stretch than most yoga experts ever achieve.
(Six degrees of separation, I guess...:S)

>Because O-bow-ma

I have to say, the right wing has failed miserably in coming up with an offensive nickname for Obama that has sticking power. I mean, Obamer? O-bow-ma? What does that even mean? Not only not very denigrating, it's not even that memorable.

>Because O-bow-ma

I have to say, the right wing has failed miserably in coming up with an offensive nickname for Obama that has sticking power. I mean, Obamer? O-bow-ma? What does that even mean? Not only not very denigrating, it's not even that memorable.

You must have forgotten about this thread, or your posts in it trying to defend him. I'm sure it just slipped your mind.

Maybe that 90 degree bow in front of Hirohito was just Obama looking for his approval ratings, then.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>You must have forgotten about this thread, or your posts in it trying to
>defend him. I'm sure it just slipped your mind.

Nope. I didn't think of it because it really had nothing to do with this topic.

>Maybe that 90 degree bow in front of Hirohito was just Obama looking for his
>approval ratings, then.

No, it was clearly because he hates the US and wants to place the US under control of Japan. I mean, duh.

There is even more crap in the budget which they call "accounting gimmicks", which is technically a way of shifting current debt to 2010. One of them, for example, is to pay state workers on Jul 1, 2010 instead of June 30, which is then paid from 2010 budget.

Since I read it the first time I wondered what the state would do if you just refused to withhold more taxes than you owe. Especially what can the state charge you for? This is obviously not tax avoidance, because at the end of tax year you pay what you owe (you will just get a smaller return), so what is this?

Current California legislature is just disgusting, especially its Democratic part. I hope none of them gets reelected.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

That's just silly.

Really?!

Isn't He THE ONE IN CHARGE?

Shouldn't he be LEADING BY EXAMPLE?

THE BUCK STOPS WHERE???

When he begins on a platform of "Change"... and there is none.

Promises "transparency" but then tries to push through legislation without an allowance of time for it to be read....

HE'S THE PRESIDENT.

He should act like it.

But... it's an administration of "change"

>Promises "transparency" but then tries to push through legislation without
>an allowance of time for it to be read....

That angle worked for a few months. But after a few months, people are going to start to think that all the people claiming "I can't read it in just a few months!" aren't going to read it . . . ever.

You're right, tax cuts, my friends. Raising taxes is bad, look at Hoover, cutting taxes worked for him.