Andy9o8

75% of Young Americans Unfit for Military Duty

Freedom isn't won or lost at the point of a gun.
The thing about Freedom is you either know you are or you can never be. Guns, Tanks, Bombs,.. they aren't tools which guarantee or can grant Freedom. They also can't take it away.
They just decide who lives and who dies.

Weapons may only be tools regarding your version of "freedom", but your idealism, whether you want to believe this or not, can be taken away from you. It is very easy to take someone's inflection of their personal beliefs away from them. This is an ancient art. Everyone has a breaking point. I believe yours is way lower than most people, actually. Your discontentness and need to piss people off is shallow and screams of a need that requires filling. Mark 1 Mod 0 easy to break and manipulate. I implore you; if you are over the age of 21 right now, you need some serious help.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Please lock this thread too before I do something that you people won't like.:|

Like the piano player said at the bar when asked by the drunk to play Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall; "Man, I don't do requests."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

... Guns, Tanks, Bombs,.. they aren't tools which guarantee or can grant Freedom. They also can't take it away.

Revolutionary War..... There you go... your whole premise has just been shot to shit.

Go study history.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

... Guns, Tanks, Bombs,.. they aren't tools which guarantee or can grant Freedom. They also can't take it away.

Revolutionary War..... There you go... your whole premise has just been shot to shit.

Go study history.

Both won and lost at the point of a gun. Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As a freeman I can say what ever I choose,mealticket.
Do you believe in and support the Right to freedom of speech ?

We aren't dependant on the military. They certainly aren't fighting *my* wars.

As a " freeman", that can "say what ever I choose", I think they are fighting *your* wars. You should say "thank you" next time you someone in uniform.

So you would hope that most parents prefer their children to be trained killers and destroyers for hire?

I don't know the time period when you were in the military.
If you'll let me know I'll glady point out your failures in defending the Constitution.

Let me make sure I have this straight, you want to insult and point out their failures to a bunch of "trained killers and destroyers for hire". Hmmmm. Let me know how that goes for you.

Derek V

Nope, it the uniform is not cool enough... they need a Hoody, low slung trousers and training shoes with LEDs and no laces .... DOOOOOOD

Yeah and it's better to go into mindless zerg wars and die or lose your limbs in various explosions / shootouts eh?

God, why do you people love wars so much? Why do you love the army so much? Why are you such warmongers?!

When it comes to simple life stuff you notice how the government use you, but when it comes to army and wars you can't see that you're being used to fulfill the politics whims and not "defend" your country from some kind of threat... :S:S:S

Let's send more youth into wars! I'm sure their families just love it when their loved ones die for politicians whims!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc203/SangiStank/Goodbye.jpg
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

In the excerpt you cited, Gladwell’s not stating that the influence of schools outweighs the influence of parents for all kids. He’s not even asserting that for most kids.

He’s trying to find an explanation for why some minority of kids choose to smoke regardless of influence of parents and influence of schools.

Schools teach kids the potential physiological harm of smoking, e.g., lung cancer, emphysema. That’s pedagogy, i.e., what schools are supposed to do; it’s a direct message not a meme leading to a ‘tipping point.” Nonetheless a minority of kids still choose to start smoking, even when their parents don’t smoke too/also/as well. He’s also challenging the argument that there is a genetic predisposition to smoke (or by extension to addictive behavior), i.e., the ‘nature’ part of the ‘nature’ vs ‘nurture’ debate and the role of genes in influencing behavior rather than just physical traits.

Gladwell’s seeking an explanation for the behavior of that minority of kids not the majority. He doesn’t address whether the majority of kids are influenced more or less by the family, by schools, or by “social peer group.”

In finding his explanation for those kids who choose to start smoking, he’s not talking about comparing the influence of the family socially versus the school socially. It’s “social peer group” -- social peer group is different than the school environment, i.e., the difference btw burn-outs and Boy Scouts or athletes.

Another more common term for Gladwell’s explanation is peer pressure.

I could write more about how I might see Gladwell’s ideas, including those in the section you excerpted relate to (or not) the thread topic. And I do agree with you that there *are* places where it relates … but your comments suggest that you’re not really interested in talking about it. I’ll choose to see a small bright-side or small movement forward tho’ in getting you to site the excerpt from the book.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying