NelKel

FOX NEWS: Fair and ballenced or total crap?

No mention of the (far more interesting and defensible) position that we don't know exactly what causes global warming, and that therefore we don't actually know that any of the recommendations from the Gore folks will really do anything at all.

Please, defend such a position. We (collective) have a very good understanding of what is causing global warming.

A few weeks ago on another program (maybe it was Fresh Air? I can't recall), I heard the same old tired story that "tens of thousands of people") were at the US Capitol on 9/12 for the taxpayer march. I know this to be false, as I was present at the event, which clearly had hundreds of thousands of people.

Since the number of people who were in attendance is not known, and there were known efforts to overreport the turnout, saying tens of thousands was the more accurate and responsible description, since it is technically a superset of hundreds of thousands.

If you can point me at a searchable archive, I'll try to dig out the shows for you.

Your first link had the search field in the upper right of the Web page.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Hmmm ... based on what you've written, e.g., "something along the lines of ..." that sounds a lot more like people stating things with which you disagree than "outright" lies to me. Those aren't examples of lies, it's differing opinions & anecdotes.

No, he definitely stated that the US had a less progressive tax system than western European countries, and he definitely stated it as a fact. The "something along the lines of" was because I don't have a transcript of the show in front of me, so I can't quote it exactly.

So, yes, you would likely have heard someone interviewed who advocated for the low number but that was part of the story, i.e., the politicization of data not the conclusion.

It was the host of the show, not someone being interviewed.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Since the number of people who were in attendance is not known, and there were known efforts to overreport the turnout, saying tens of thousands was the more accurate and responsible description, since it is technically a superset of hundreds of thousands.

Sure, and by that logic, saying that "dozens" of people voted for Obama would also be an "accurate and responsible description." I mean, dozens is clearly a subset of millions, isn't it?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sure, and by that logic, saying that "dozens" of people voted for Obama would also be an "accurate and responsible description." I mean, dozens is clearly a subset of millions, isn't it?

Yes, technically that would be accurate. However, since we know how many people voted for Obama, it would make sense to use a more precise descriptor. OTOH, we don't know how many people attended the demonstration on 9/12; there have been mixed reports.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>and that at least one administration official is on record arguing that
>entertainment speech (and other forms of commercial speech) should not
>be given the protection of the First Amendment.

Are you really concerned that Obama will try to 'shut down' FOX News?

Just listen to the lies by fox!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADo1WbgWnBI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Ibj4C38Hw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SbxhrF52SMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUIfIDNYIL0&feature=player_embedded#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJz22rh17GI[url]
How dare he play quotes from our government officials! How dare he use facts like that Mao killed over 70 million people! Mao and Chavez are great guys who truely care about the people!?!?!?!?!?!

Seriously! What ever happened to George Washington or James Madison or the CONSTITUTION!
Do you think these people really got thier power over night? They are communist dictators who murder and kill for power and money and that is who our government looks to and wants to become like! How can people continue to ignore this? This is not speculation or opinion.....It is the words of or leaders! Obama wants to fundamentally transform america! His words! Anita Dunn said she turns to mao most often and that he is one of her two favorite polical philosophers!
Then there is Cass and all the other czars, some of who call themselves communist revolutionaries! They call themselves that! They are not hiding and they are telling us exactly what they want and people continue to ingore them. Not ignore me or glenn beck but they ingnore the words or obama and cass and anita and jeff jones and van jones ect..........

Did "fair and balanced" FOX give equal time discussing Ms. Dunn's other favorite philosopher, Mother Teresa?

You mean the woman who withheld pain medicine from people in intense pain because suffering is good for the soul?

You've got to love religious fanatics. What a winner.

Ever seen Penn & Teller's show called "Bullshit"? They've done an interesting show about her (and Gandhi).

I listen to NPR everyday, and I can't tell you the number of times I've heard outright lies pushed as truth there. Why should FOX news be any different? They just have a different political slant.

Would you give a few examples? NPR has a readily searchable archive. Because I've completely missed that. Perhaps you're hearing something I'm not. I'm curious what you're hearing that I'm not. Previous studies have shown that NPR & PBS listeners hold the most factually accurate views/least misperceptions. Or do you mean things said by folks being interviewed?

/Marg

It's entirely possible he's talking about the "News from Lake Woebegone."

My understanding is that the kids aren't all really above average.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Lets remember that one of two of Anita Dunn's favorite political philosophers is communist and dictator Mae Tse Tung who killed million and millions of people!........oh....wait.....she was just joking? Sure!....only she thinks about him all the time and is the one she "turns to most!"

Did "fair and balanced" FOX give equal time discussing Ms. Dunn's other favorite philosopher, Mother Teresa?

I do watch FOX quite a bit. Bill O had said that Ms. Dunn had also mentioned Mother Theresa in her speech. He also suggested that while he was a mass murderer that she (Ms. Dunn) was only referring to certain pieces of his philosophies such as "find your own path" and not the mass murder bit and suggested that she clarify.

How is this slanted?

There is however Glenn Beck who hates all politicians and Sean Hannity who hates all liberals. They will never say anything nice about Obama. But they are Opinion shows. Everyone knows the difference between Op Ed's and News Anchors right? Everyone else is pretty much a news anchor.

I can understand why Obama would hate fox though. While news outlets like MSNBC, ABC, CBS have been specifically picking reporters to cover Obama that get a "thrill down there leg" like Chris Matthews seen here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no9fpKVXxCc
Fox news still challenges the president.

Does any other news agency demand that Obama post the new health care bills on the web for all to see? Does anyone else try to hold Obama to his promise for an open and honest government? Obama promised a new era of openness and honesty, yet they can't post the new bill on the web because they can't figure out how. Quetions need to be asked, unless you want to be lead along like sheep. Some people have forgotten that the reason we have a free press is to question our politicians and hold them accountable.

Just my $.02
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I think this statement is based on what you perceive. Remember, if something is slanted and you are slanted in the same direction it looks straight.

My sentiments, as well.

I do both Fox & NBC, as well as NPR for good measure.

As someone who falls in the middle with slants either way depending on the topic, it is easy to see slants from all sides, thus I try to always consider what I am hearing despite the obvious slant--a personal goal to listen despite what I know or what my gut tells me is so.

I am not generally a fan of statistics that say so-and-so listeners are smarter than so-and-so's. In my personal life experience, I have had the privelege to meet some very smart (as perceived by me) folks on both the "left" and the "right". Quantitavely, I have met more intelligent people from the left than the right. Conversely, qualitatively I have met more "right" than "left". There are often great arguments from both sides. It is just a matter of what your gut leans toward. I would like to believe at the heart of things, we all want to do what we believe is best.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

In general, I like FoxNews.Com. Liking it doesn’t necessarily correlate with “fair & balanced.” If I thought it was “total crap” without any value, either, even if only humor, I wouldn’t read it/waste my time.

Like [DrewEckhardt] I don’t regularly watch the cable news program since I don’t have cable at home. If I do watch it, it’s online or while traveling/at a hotel.

I like FoxNews.com because the stories do sometimes/often -- not always -- reflect/contain a partisan or ideological perspective, imo. It's also in many ways the most populist, imo. Similarly I like “Democracy NOW,” which offers a very different end of the political spectrum. That’s the political counter-weight to Fox News not ABC, CNN, or NPR (can’t speak to MSNBC), imo. I like both attempting to, occasionally assertively-to-aggressively, challenging the political elites, including but not limited to President Obama. I (used to really) like the National Review Online as a conservative site reflecting a more elite persective.

I'm also a big fan of foreign news sources, including but not limited to British and other western European sources for analysis of US politics as well as international events/issues. E.g., if I want news on a specific incident in Pakistan, I like to see what both Dawn and The Hindu report.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

>and that at least one administration official is on record arguing that
>entertainment speech (and other forms of commercial speech) should not
>be given the protection of the First Amendment.

Are you really concerned that Obama will try to 'shut down' FOX News?

I seem to recall a few TV stations getting threatened during the campaign...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>I seem to recall a few TV stations getting threatened during the
>campaign...

I think the GOP could do with more alternative ideas and options and less crazy. When the alternative to the democrats is a party that thinks that Obama was born in Kenya, wants to kill veterans, and is trying to shut down all opposing news outlets, people will start asking "uh, isn't there a third party somewhere?"

Yea, Mao and Hitler had a lot of great things to say.....???? mein kampf is really just the inspirational story of a man who worked his way up from nothing to being the leader of a country. Its about overcome great odds and opposition....:S

Keep listening to Glen Beck Mike don’t let the facts or truth make you ever change your mind. :S

Never seen/heard him, but your automatic assumption that anyone that disagrees with you does listen to him says volumes...just like your "American or Republican" thread.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Never seen/heard him, but your automatic assumption that anyone that disagrees with you does listen to him says volumes...just like your "American or Republican" thread

Sorry I thought you said you watched Fox News that’s why you had an opinion. Every time I have watched Fox he seems to be on.

The thread you are referring to has been explained and in my opinion and many others seems to make since. It seems some have stronger loyalty to their party then they to do there country and fellow citizens. Kind of sad if you ask me. Considering most of it based on ignorance and misinformation.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

>I seem to recall a few TV stations getting threatened during the
>campaign...

I think the GOP could do with more alternative ideas and options and less crazy.

Which is exactly the democratic party line, Bill.

The truth is that the GOP has plenty of alternative ideas, and only a very little crazy (kind of like the dems). But the current dem strategy is to hold up the crazy bits and scream loudly about how all republicans are just like that.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>But the current dem strategy is to hold up the crazy bits and scream
>loudly about how all republicans are just like that.

Hmm. Could you point out an example of the democrats claiming that Sarah Palin was born in France, or that the GOP health care plan calls for "death boards?"

Right now the democrats have the floor, and thus they don't have to spend a lot of energy trying to drag down the other side. The GOP has chosen the scorched-earth policy; several republican leaders have stated that their intended goal is that Obama fail. They celebrate his failures even when those failures are detrimental to the US.

That's a decision they made. They could have taken an alternative approach - disowned the more crazy parts of their fringes (i.e. the birthers, the Becks, the Limbaughs) and presented themselves as a sane, more centrist and more thoughtful alternative to the democrats. That would, in the long run, win them elections.

But they're not doing that. They're comparing Obama to Hitler, and claiming he wants to kill kids and vets. And people are thinking "the democrats seem to have their heads up their asses, but they're not batshit crazy." And unfortunately that will lead to single-party dominance for a long time.

>But the current dem strategy is to hold up the crazy bits and scream loudly about how all republicans are just like that.

Hmm. Could you point out an example of the democrats claiming that Sarah Palin was born in France, or that the GOP health care plan calls for "death boards?"

What does your rejoinder have to do with my point?

I'm saying that the dems try to hold up and publicize the crazy bits of the GOP, and do their best to ignore any serious proposals or reasonable people coming out of the GOP. Which is exactly what you were doing with your previous post (focusing on the crazy bits and ignoring the reasonable proposals).

Please explain how that has to do with people in the democratic party saying things about Sarah Palin or "death boards."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com