NelKel

FOX NEWS: Fair and ballenced or total crap?

A statement like let the people Democratically decide what's best for them? And when it passes and the R's dig in deeper, they will bury themselves and perhaps go the way of the Whig. This really could be it and if a descent plan passes, you will see the R's figure this out and they will go along and act as tho they were all for it. By R's I don;t mean the electorate, I mean the GOP politicians. For now they want to poison it, but if it passes tehy will change their tune to deceive people into voting for them. If it passes it will be a huge consideration in the 2010 and 2012 elections; everyone will rally around as if they were all for it. The Desm will remind all voters that it was teh R's who opposed it and if elected, the R's will revoke it.

sorry, but when the tax increases start and the benifits decrease to the working class, the majority of those affected will change their vote to rep or ind and the dem party will loose. This is something that the rep party just needs to be patient with because the dem's are cutting their own throats. The problem isn't that the rep or ind won't win back some seats in congress, the problem is how to fix the mess the dem's are creating and how to pay for their incompetence.

But NPR and other outlets are not promoting themselves with the tagline "Fair and balanced."

My local NPR outlet uses the tagline "fair and unbiased."

I'm guessing the concept of satire eludes some people.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>sorry, but when the tax increases start and the benifits decrease to the
>working class, the majority of those affected will change their vote to rep
>or ind and the dem party will loose.

Not as long as people recall the spend-and-borrow republicans of 2000-2008.

On the other hand, if they can get their heads out of their asses and start to be part of a solution, instead of the party of deflect-distort-deceive, they'll have a good shot.

>the problem is how to fix the mess the dem's are creating and how to
>pay for their incompetence.

Agreed. But electing someone even more incompetent isn't going to be seen as a good solution.

sorry, but when the tax increases start and the benifits decrease to the working class, the majority of those affected will change their vote to rep or ind and the dem party will loose.

Please, continue that line of thought, That's the stubborness that has propelled the R's to a puny minority in COngress and lost them the WH.

When Hoover and FDR increased taxes in a massive sense, quadrupled them, how did the working class do? And what happend at the polls? Oh yea, FDR didn't give up even 100 EV's to any Republican in 4 straight elections.

This is something that the rep party just needs to be patient with because the dem's are cutting their own throats.

Yes, we've cut our throats for 2 consecutive elecctions so far.

The problem isn't that the rep or ind won't win back some seats in congress, the problem is how to fix the mess the dem's are creating and how to pay for their incompetence.

Explain how 2/3 of the national debt is immediatley attributable under Reagan, GHWB and GWB, much of the other 1/3 as well, yet it's the Dems?

The debt was 900B as Reagan took office and it was slightly increasing as it has for most presidents. By the time GHWB and Clinton could curb it 12 years later with 2 major tax increases it was at 5.5T. Then GWB took a stable economy and hammered it huge to 11 T. Just skim right over that.

Explain how 2/3 of the national debt is immediatley attributable under Reagan, GHWB and GWB, much of the other 1/3 as well, yet it's the Dems?

The debt was 900B as Reagan took office and it was slightly increasing as it has for most presidents. By the time GHWB and Clinton could curb it 12 years later with 2 major tax increases it was at 5.5T. Then GWB took a stable economy and hammered it huge to 11 T. Just skim right over that.

Maybe the entitlement programs that are bankrupt like medicare and soso security, welfare, illegal imigration and other very costly things are the problem. Maybe the government has the money to run in a fiscally responsible way but the entitlement programs (mostly put in by dems) are bleeding us dry. If we eliminate all entitlement programs we probably wouldn't be 11 trillion in debt.

Have you found any examples of “outright lies” yet?

What you suggested previously were anecdotal differences of opinion or possibly factual errors, in one case that you cited it appears the Tax Foundation recalculated/did their own analysis of OECD data (numbers), which is fine, even good (!). That’s why OECD releases data not just analysis. The OECD report, “Growing Unequal? Income Distribution and Poverty in OECD Countries” also seems to suggest from a quick glance that the OECD had somewhat different conclusions than the Tax Foundation, e.g., “the gap between rich and poor and the number of people below the poverty line have both grown over the past two decades.” It’s also not clear to me that either analysis (or the data itself) considered statutory or actual tax rates. E.g., for corporate taxes it is known that the differences matter. It’s completely reasonable that an economics scholar would not be familiar with the Tax Foundation’s own (re-)analysis.

I don’t consider those lies, much less outright lies. Perhaps you do? And maybe that’s a larger issue of media sensationalism? What previously (?) or more precisely could be called differences in opinion or at times, simple factual error (like the one I cited from a FoxNews.com story earlier in this thread; I don’t consider that a “lie” just an simple error) are now “lies.” “Lie” implies intentional misleading or intent to deceive to me. Calling something a lie, much less an “outright lie,” does change the tone of message tho'.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying