rushmc

Isnt this the way it is supposed to work?

Why not wait for as much information as possible? Why "hurry" into a vote for anything ? (unless it is for an emergency like a security reason)

(found on Drudge)

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE5945E320091005

U.S. Senate panel awaits report before health vote
Mon Oct 5, 2009 5:06pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic hopes for a quick Senate Finance Committee vote on a broad U.S. healthcare overhaul were dashed on Monday as budget experts took longer than expected with their estimate of the bill's cost.

The panel, chaired by Senator Max Baucus, agreed to delay a vote until it received a preliminary analysis from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

Aides said that number would not be ready until later in the week, killing hopes for a vote as early as Tuesday.

"We are expecting CBO scores later this week and will vote after we get those scores," a panel aide said.

Delays have become commonplace for President Barack Obama's push to revamp the U.S. healthcare system, which has been slowed to a crawl in Congress by political battles over its size and cost.

Obama has made healthcare reform his top domestic priority, urging Congress to pass a measure to cut costs, regulate the insurance market and expand coverage to the uninsured.

The vote in the Democratic-controlled Finance Committee will follow seven days of debate on the 10-year, $900 billion plan proposed by Baucus. Republicans demanded a fresh analysis from CBO incorporating the amendments added during the debate.

CBO officials had told the committee they could probably complete a preliminary analysis within a few days, raising expectations it would be ready on Monday.

The Finance Committee, the last of five panels in Congress to vote on a healthcare plan, is expected to approve its measure largely along party lines. Democrats control the committee with a 13-10 majority.

Senator Olympia Snowe, targeted by Democrats as the only potential Republican backer, has not taken a stance on the bill yet. Democrats Ron Wyden and John Rockefeller also have not endorsed it yet.

If the measure passes as expected, Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid will merge the Senate Finance bill with one passed by the Senate Health panel and move the merged legislation to the floor as quickly as possible.

(Writing by John Whitesides; Editing by John O'Callaghan)

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why not wait for as much information as possible? Why "hurry" into a vote for anything ? (unless it is for an emergency like a security reason)

Social Security has been the extreme case of waiting for as much information as possible. There have been blue ribbon panels dating back 3 or 4 Presidents. And nothing was done. Now it looks like likely that SS will run a deficit this year. No more subsidized spending for the White House and Congress.

Social Security has been the extreme case of waiting for as much information as possible. There have been blue ribbon panels dating back 3 or 4 Presidents. And nothing was done. Now it looks like likely that SS will run a deficit this year. No more subsidized spending for the White House and Congress.

THAT is what happens when politics is more important than the people
Abraham Lincoln

>Why not wait for as much information as possible?

Exactly! Heck, over 200 years ago we rushed into a war with England before we had all the facts. How could we have known much back then - the Internet wasn't even invented yet!

We rushed into WWII without a comprehensive understanding of Japanese tactics, we rushed to the Moon without thinking about what could happen, Bush rushed to cut taxes before we understood the expenditures we'd be facing from terrorism. Heck, even Lincoln rushed to abolish slavery before we really understood what that would mean to our economy. All, clearly, mistakes.

Best wait until all the facts are known before we do anything.

Exactly! Heck, over 200 years ago we rushed into a war with England before we had all the facts. How could we have known much back then - the Internet wasn't even invented yet!

We rushed into WWII without a comprehensive understanding of Japanese tactics, we rushed to the Moon without thinking about what could happen, Bush rushed to cut taxes before we understood the expenditures we'd be facing from terrorism. Heck, even Lincoln rushed to abolish slavery before we really understood what that would mean to our economy. All, clearly, mistakes.

Why the hell do you have to talk down to people?
Abraham Lincoln

>Why the hell do you have to talk down to people?

I'm not. That's a literary device known as satire; I thought you'd be smart enough to pick up on it.

In any case I'll put it in simpler terms:

We will never have all the information for any decision. Waiting until we do means making no decisions, ever. This is a bad characteristic in a government.

I'm not. That's a literary device known as satire; I thought you'd be smart enough to pick up on it.

And so it continues[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

Exactly! Heck, over 200 years ago we rushed into a war with England before we had all the facts.

Obviously Bill your not a student of history.

The Founding Fathers didn't "rush " into a war. They even made every attempt to avoid war .

we rushed to the Moon without thinking about what could happen,

Well, we haven't really been to the moon but we are considering it now.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

>and then you add comment?

Yes, in case I was unclear.

Oh, you made yourself clear from the start.
Abraham Lincoln

If it is a policy you support no matter the cost, then you want it passed quickly. Thus, War in Iraq. We didn't have the facts but so what? We wanted war and we'd do it. Don't like it? Fuck you. Costs were unimportant.

And now the shoe is on the other foot. If two wrongs don't make a right, try 200.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

How do you know it's an emergency like a security reason until you consider all the facts?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

You can't talk down to someone unless they have already put themselves in a position where that it is possible.

The solution, Marc, is for you not to post so much tripe.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That's not talking down to people huh? :S
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I assumed (and still do assume) that you're smart enough to pick up on that, and that you just wanted to slam me.

And I assumed that you were smart enough to know what you were doing, and had communication skills that were sufficient and that you didn't just make a mistake

And I still do think you knew exactly what you were doing.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Wrong answer. Go try again.

Sound familiar?

Don

Wrong answer. Go try again.

Sound familiar?

Don

Ah, a "wrong" answer was your "assumption" that I supported programs that Bush started outside the Iraq issue. YOU ASSUMED that because YOU ASSUMED that all who disagree with you support the GOP blindly. Much better example of a "Wrong answer" don't you think? Sound "familiar"?
Abraham Lincoln

You've got me confused with georgerussia. Still, wouldn't it have been better if you had explained to him that you don't necessarily support everything Bush initiated, instead of "talking down" to him and just saying "wrong answer"?

Don

You've got me confused with georgerussia. Still, wouldn't it have been better if you had explained to him that you don't necessarily support everything Bush initiated, instead of "talking down" to him and just saying "wrong answer"?

Don

Maybe. But he made the assumption. He has to live with it. But, I see your point
Abraham Lincoln