Tuna-Salad

What type of handgun do you have for "home defense"

I have a Glock 29, 10MM. I am using 180 grain starfire JHP rounds.

My intent with the 10mm was to put the would be assailant down without needing multiple shots. Not that much of a gun buff so I'm not real sure where that falls in the grand scheme of things in comparison to others.

Of course my ideal home defense weapon would be an mp-5 PDW any type of land mine.. maybe a claymore.. or the gau-8 gatling gun...
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I have a Glock 27 as my conceal carry gun (yes I have a conceal carry license...I don't just conceal illegally). Glocks are way reliable. We have a few more Glocks at the house. My "dresser gun" is a 1911 (Sig). I love that gun. All guns loaded with hollow pointd. :) And of course, the wonderful shotgun.

I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

The one you enjoy shooting and will actually spend considerable time practicing with. With out that, all the debate about caliber and load is moot. Its just a bunch of dick measuring if you don't actually go shoot and get good at operating the weapon. Same with a flashlight. If you don't have a light on your weapon or next to your weapon, you're now a danger to yourself and every single person in your household. Not only do you need to be able to identify what your are pointing your gun at, the light does disorientate people.

You have to practice with your light. You have to make sure it doesn't effect your weapon. For instance some lights can make your Glock malfunction if you have it too tight on the frame. It changes the weight of your gun and it adds another step to the presentation of the weapon (turning on the momentary switch or the on switch).

The biggest thing to do is to practice and practice a LOT. Not with your favorite big gun, but your every day carry gun. "It hurts and sucks to shoot." Then its time to buy a different carry gun. One that you'll actually shoot and practice with. Be sure to practice in the dark, since if its a home defense gun, that's what you'll be in.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am a Ruger guy!!!!

Two matching identical Ruger P-85 MKII 9mm (Stainless) with Hogue grips. I also have a Ruger P-90 .45 ACP (Blue) with a Hogue grip.

Defense ammo is Winchester 5th generation Ranger Talons (formally black talons). and no they aren't "cop kilers". That's just typical left-wing liberal conventional wisdom running like a wildfire without knowing the facts.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

First .. switch over to Magsafe / Cor Bon or any of a number of Pre-Fragmented ammo's ... they are designed to "fragment" upon impact causing greater impact body without the risk of "over penetration"

http://yp.bellsouth.com/sites/magsafeammo/

http://www.policelink.com/products/products/920-corbon-ammunition

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/convjhp.htm

My intent with the 10mm was to put the would be assailant down without needing multiple shots. Not that much of a gun buff so I'm not real sure where that falls in the grand scheme of things in comparison to others.

Second ... your premise for using the 10mm is inaccurate. The 10mm is much better suited for colder climates where it may need to penetrate several heavy layers of clothing ... here in Florida we don't have the problem. Don't misunderstand ... the 10mm is a very nice caliber ... it is much better suited for self defense when used w/ a pre-frag ammo.

My prefrence is the G 27 w/ trinium night sites ... based upon (1) Reliability, Simplicity & Corrosion resistance of the Glock (2) The compact size of the G 27.

The Ruger SP-101 (hammerless) in 357mag is also very good choice .. again w/ pre-frag ammo
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

S&W 686 .357 revolver - Speer Gold Dot ammo. 7 rounds and no mag springs to wear out (although I've heard I shouldn't be too concerned about that nowadays) so I can keep it loaded all the time.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

My wife got a 38 caliber revolver. I didn't like that idea for home defense, since we already had and still have a shotgun. I'd saw the thing down shorter if it wasn't illegal.

Then again, just the sound of chambering a shtgun shell is enough to drive away most. And those that aren't scared away? I am know in honest and reasonable fear. Kablam! And with shot, I don't have to worry about it going through walls into my kids or neighbors.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

First .. switch over to Magsafe / Cor Bon or any of a number of Pre-Fragmented ammo's ... they are designed to "fragment" upon impact causing greater impact body without the risk of "over penetration"

http://yp.bellsouth.com/sites/magsafeammo/

http://www.policelink.com/products/products/920-corbon-ammunition

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/convjhp.htm

Second ... your premise for using the 10mm is inaccurate. The 10mm is much better suited for colder climates where it may need to penetrate several heavy layers of clothing ... here in Florida we don't have the problem. Don't misunderstand ... the 10mm is a very nice caliber ... it is much better suited for self defense when used w/ a pre-frag ammo.

My prefrence is the G 27 w/ trinium night sites ... based upon (1) Reliability, Simplicity & Corrosion resistance of the Glock (2) The compact size of the G 27.

The Ruger SP-101 (hammerless) in 357mag is also very good choice .. again w/ pre-frag ammo

I was unaware that my gun had the penetrating power you say it does. I was just after stopping power. 9mm being just enough to piss someone off and .45 I didn't really consider. (I do love the 1911 though)

I have an older Smith & Wesson auto, loaded with hollow pts. I also have a 357 revolver with a six inch barrel.

I pack the 357 in the mtns. It may not be the best bear gun in the world, but it would probably get the job done.

Thanks for the info. on the flashlight Dave. That makes sense....

Glock 22 (.40 S&W). Ammo is handload Nosler 145 grain JHP with Accurate#7 powder (forget the ammt of grains right now).

But yeah definately spend a good deal of time at the range practicing. It took me several hundred rounds before I found a specific load that my gun "likes" and got good with it.
Muff #5048

I recently purchased a Bersa .380. It is small enough to carry concealed easily and they make some nifty rounds for the .380 now a days. And thanks Dave for the flashlight tip.

A friend has a model19-5 .357 with a 31/2" barrel I am thinking of buying.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

You have to practice with your light. You have to make sure it doesn't effect your weapon. For instance some lights can make your Glock malfunction if you have it too tight on the frame. It changes the weight of your gun and it adds another step to the presentation of the weapon (turning on the momentary switch or the on switch).

That is an incredibly useful comment. Thanks!

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

The one you enjoy shooting and will actually spend considerable time practicing with. With out that, all the debate about caliber and load is moot. Its just a bunch of dick measuring if you don't actually go shoot and get good at operating the weapon. Same with a flashlight. If you don't have a light on your weapon or next to your weapon, you're now a danger to yourself and every single person in your household. Not only do you need to be able to identify what your are pointing your gun at, the light does disorientate people.

The biggest thing to do is to practice and practice a LOT. Not with your favorite big gun, but your every day carry gun. "It hurts and sucks to shoot." Then its time to buy a different carry gun. One that you'll actually shoot and practice with. Be sure to practice in the dark, since if its a home defense gun, that's what you'll be in.

All that plus if you have the time and money, try to find some tactical handgunning courses near you. Around here, I refer people to http://krtraining.com
--
Rob

I use a Glock 21 .45ACP with hydroshock rounds (about 30 bucks for 15) and a Springfield XDm .40 with 14+1 standard JHP. oh and in case things get real hairy i have a nickel plated SKS 7.62X39. i could list more but i think i look like enough of a nut job so far lol :$

I use a Glock 21 .45ACP with hydroshock rounds (about 30 bucks for 15) and a Springfield XDm .40 with 14+1 standard JHP. oh and in case things get real hairy i have a nickel plated SKS 7.62X39. i could list more but i think i look like enough of a nut job so far lol :$

I was waiting on you to say that you supplied most of the weapons for the movie Commando..

Everybody knows a frag grenade works much better than an sks for home defense. Self defense is no laughing matter, that's why I pack a hand grenade... accept no substitutes..

S&W
Preformance Center 357 x 8B|

110g. JHP

backed up with Mossburg 591A1 >:(
12g

#4 buck:S

back that up with my M1 garand
navy mod.2
in 7.62 LC Match

with original 10" bayonet:o

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

i don't know about you, but I never go anywhere without my mutated anthrax (for duck hunting)

Home defense? I use a Hi-power 9mm carbine. It's a cheapo no thrills rifle that consists of a stock, hand grip and about 18" barrel. The 10 round magazine goes up in the handgrip. It's ugly but reliable and accurate. It's not an M4, but I am just as comfortable with it.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln