BikerBabe

Too much pressure? (Palin to resign as Gov. of Alaska)

She'll write her book (well, she'll let a ghostwriter interview her and the ghost will actually write it). She'll do the speaking engagements and fund raisers. After awhile she'll do a bit of TV. However, she's done. My guess is that somebody finally got to her and told her that she didn't stand a chance of ever going anywhere politically and somehow they finally got through to her. VPs that lose an election are rarely heard from again and she's milked this one WAY too long as it is.

I found her exit comment hilarious about milking the position since that's pretty much the only thing she has done.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

This has got to be a deeply saddening thing for a lot of people who really publicly hate on her. I'm sure the blogosphere and plenty of pundits will have a hard time hating on her (the Huffington Post had a fairly interesting piece hating on the Palin haters.)

Hey - here's a woman who rose quickly to some power. Had she been non-religious and had a (D) behind her name I have little doubt she would have been liked by those who hated her and hated by those who dote on her.

I hope she goes into private life and makes a fortune. It doesn't mean I'll buy her books or her see her speaking tours. But I will miss seeing Cybil Shepherd keynoting a women in industry and government conference openly berating a woman who did what Shepherd was advocating needed to happen.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I don't really read it that way. I kind of see her either becoming a full time issue lobbyist (SarahPAC?), or gearing up for a presidential run in 2012, where I expect she'll get stomped.

The timing of the announcement (right there with Tim Pawlenty, who is a viable Republican candidate for 2012), tends to make me think its the latter.

Wouldn't it be funny if she ended up as the VP on the GOP ticket in 2012 again?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Had she been non-religious and had a (D) behind her name I have little doubt she would have been liked by those who hated her and hated by those who dote on her.

In order to be a "real" woman or minority, it's mandatory that you subscribe to a certain set of political beliefs. Sarah Palin can't "really" be a woman. Clarence Thomas can't "really" be black. People like that blow the whole mindset of group politics, so it's essential to immediately demonize them as somehow not actually of their gender/ethnicity.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Wouldn't it be funny if she ended up as the VP on the GOP ticket in 2012 again?

I don't think her ego would allow for that at this point. I've considered her running as the Presidential candidate in 2012 and I simply don't see it happening in reality. Maybe in her mind and the minds of a few of her close supporters, but seriously, no. She would be torn to little pieces in the string of road debates that went on the last time.

I also don't think the real power in the Republican Party is going to back that kind of "what the fuck, we're not going to win anyway" kind of campaign. I think they'll try to make a serious effort rather than just bring up issues and resign themselves to losing. It's simply too expensive for them not to try.

Right now it is Obama's to lose and as long as he makes ANY headway he's going to win it. That was maybe a strategic mistake of the last Administration in that if you leave the country in ruins, really the only direction left to go is up.

While this sort of headless party thing always happens at the end of a second term Presidency, the Republican Party better get its act together pretty darn fast. I doubt McCain is good for another run and I see absolutely no one else in the Republican Party that even looks vaguely interesting for the majority of the country.
quade -

Honestly, the problem with Sarah Palin had nothing to do with her credentials for being a woman. It had everything to do with her credentials for being a heartbeat away from the Oval Office.

I know, I know, the Constitution has very few "requirements" for the position, but the public certainly has quite a few more and they include things like experience. Regardless of what some felt, the majority simply saw her as a cypher.
quade -

I see absolutely no one else in the Republican Party that even looks vaguely interesting for the majority of the country.

Charlie Crist...Tim Pawlenty...Bobby Jindal...Tom Ridge...Colin Powell...Kay Bailey Hutchison...

I can probably dig up a dozen real possibilities without even resorting to re-running people from last year (Giuliani, for example, pretty much killed himself by failing to play the early game--I bet he'd do well if he really tried from the outset).

The real question is "who wants to take a chance getting steamrollered by an incumbent Obama?" It's a losing proposition for most career politicians, unless their real goal is not the white house. Pawlenty, for example, could probably turn the exposure from a failed white house bid into a pretty good "Senator for life" gig. At this point he's pretty much the only guy with his hat clearly in the ring, since Sanford has nuked himself.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Regardless of what some felt, the majority simply saw her as a cypher.

And voted an even larger one into office.

Actually, I believe the majority didn't think they were voting a cypher into office. Maybe some deadenders can't wrap their minds around it, but the majority actually do believe in him and don't think he's a miracle worker. Just a guy that can do the job better than the alternative team could.
quade -

I know, I know, the Constitution has very few "requirements" for the position, but the public certainly has quite a few more and they include things like experience.

Lack of experience obviously is not a problem to win the Presidency.

Well, you're right. We have had to improve our standards since electing GWB.
quade -

I know, I know, the Constitution has very few "requirements" for the position, but the public certainly has quite a few more and they include things like experience.

Are you so starry eye'd you can't see you voted for a man with no experience? I think you're an intelligent man, quade, but you surprise me sometimes.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Are you so starry eye'd you can't see you voted for a man with no experience? I think you're an intelligent man, quade, but you surprise me sometimes.

Dude. It was simply an easy joke. Wake up and smell the funny.
quade -

Dude. It was simply an easy joke. Wake up and smell the funny.

Dude. This is Speakers Korner. Funny is against the rules.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

the public certainly has quite a few more and they include things like experience. Regardless of what some felt, the majority simply saw her as a cypher.

If "experience" was preferred, McCain would have won in a landslide.

If "experience" was preferred, Carter would have clobbered Reagan.

If "experience" was preferred, Gore would have knocked the socks off of Dubya.

So something else happened. Personally, I think Palin was "managed" too much. She was instructed how to act, etc., when she got there by merely being herself.

I don't think she has the desire to go through that crap again. I don't blame her. Let her do what she does best. She can't be Sarah Palin, anymore. She's the Sarah Palin of the Couric interview - torn to shreds over her ineffective spin.

Compare her to Biden, whose own words at least seem to be his own words again. Who has had more verbal fuckups? Sure, Biden has experience. I like Biden, though. Either he is comfortable with himself (which is fine) or just doesn't learn (which I think is a problem).

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Why do you think she resigned?

I'm curious as to what you think were the motivating factors.

/Marg

I've heard Tina Fey is leaving 30 Rock, so the show made Palin an offer she could not refuse.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You're definitely among my favorite folks around SC; I would really like to 'hear' what [downwardspiral]'s thoughts are on Gov Palin's motivations to resign too.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

My prediction: she gets a primetime talk show on Fox. I hear Sean and Bill are already nervous.

I'm not sure that's completely unreasonable. Her undergrad was in journalism, yes?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Why do you think she resigned?

I'm curious as to what you think were the motivating factors.

/Marg

I've heard Tina Fey is leaving 30 Rock, so the show made Palin an offer she could not refuse.:ph34r:

...and who, will know the difference!

Chuck