dreamdancer

U.S. Senate Votes Formal Apology for Slavery

Here's the actual text of the resolution in question:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.CON.RES.26: (See version #2)

There, black America, it's all better now!

Note:
"DISCLAIMER- Nothing in this resolution--
(A) authorizes or supports any claim against the United States; or
(B) serves as a settlement of any claim against the United States."
Oh, and here are some other vitally important Senate resolutions authored by Tom Harkin:

S.RES.95 : A resolution congratulating the University of Iowa men's wrestling team for winning the 2009 National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I Wrestling Championship.

S.RES.96 : A resolution congratulating the Morningside College women's basketball team for winning the 2009 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Division II championship.

we'll have to wait to see if the fallout doesn't result in some kind of expenditures

That's what this one is for:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.40:
"To acknowledge the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery in the United States and the 13 American colonies between 1619 and 1865 and to establish a commission to examine the institution of slavery, subsequently de jure and de facto racial and economic discrimination against African-Americans, and the impact of these forces on living African-Americans, to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies, and for other purposes."

Look at the bright side. The time they spent talking about this resolution was time they weren't spending money.
Better they apologize to all of us for the debt both parties have got us into.

Here here. And I was also wondering, 360,000 Union soldiers killed and 275,000 wounded - is that meaningless?

I and many others who have studied this data actually believe the number was quite higher.

That is the data on the KNOWN KIAs and WIAs.

There were many who fought without documentation on both sides.

Some were never accounted for as they just never came back or their own family was dead so nobody noticed.

Look at the bright side. The time they spent talking about this resolution was time they weren't spending money..

Actually, they were. They are salried so spending YOUR money working on stupid stuff, when they should have been working on todays problems... don't y'think?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Look at the bright side. The time they spent talking about this resolution was time they weren't spending money..

Actually, they were. They are salried so spending YOUR money working on stupid stuff, when they should have been working on todays problems... don't y'think?

No.
They get their salary regardless of what they do with their time. As far as working on today's problems, government has this idea that if you throw enough money at a problem it will either get solved or eventually covered up.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

>And they continue to enslave the school children of DC by taking away
>school vouchers.

Describing the loss of a voucher as "slavery" is not nearly strong enough. It's more like rape, or disembowelment. Yes, that's it - not giving people free money is EXACTLY LIKE disemboweling children on the White House front lawn. What sicko thinks disemboweling children is OK? O the humanity!

>school vouchers.

Describing the loss of a voucher as "slavery" is not nearly strong enough. It's more like rape, or disembowelment. Yes, that's it - not giving people free money is EXACTLY LIKE disemboweling children on the White House front lawn. What sicko thinks disemboweling children is OK? O the humanity!

This a billvon troll? Getting black kids out of the ghetto and into mainstream America is worth the money for vouchers if it is done without waste and corruption. You don't like the use of enslave? Tough shit. If I'm not mistaken, it was Lincoln's Republician Party that stopped slavery while the Democratic Party of today keeps them "enslaved" through the use of entitlements. Education is a way out.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I have to wonder why anyone would bitch about this resolution, like it's any skin off anyone's ass.

I won't. I think we need to get ready for the follow-up of slave reparations;$. "Hang on to your wallet".

>You don't like the use of enslave? Tough shit.

If you think not getting free money from the government to educate your kids is just like slavery - well, OK then. Having to spend more money to educate your kids in a private school is just like a system where human beings are bought and sold like property.

Perhaps you could start a civil war to free the enslaved children of DC. Or start an underground railroad to get them out of DC to a place where they are free!

And they continue to enslave the school children of DC by taking away school vouchers.

Well, if the Obama children don't go there, who cares about the kids who do?

Yeah. Can't remember if Amy Carter went to private school or not. Probably tough on the Secret Service if the WH kids went local. Interesting, how some of the parents are smart enough to realize the importance of education. They view it as a way out.

Perfect!

>school vouchers.

Taking their (tax) money, and refusing to give it back to them, while openly admitting that you wouldn't send your own, upper class, privileged children to the public schools? Sounds more like slavery than disembowelment to me, but ok.

Why not give the poor children of DC the same opportunities that Sasha and Malia have?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Look at the bright side. The time they spent talking about this resolution was time they weren't spending money.
Better they apologize to all of us for the debt both parties have got us into.

I *STILL* say we'd be better off it they'd cut off the 1st Amendment after the first 5 words...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>You don't like the use of enslave? Tough shit.

If you think not getting free money from the government to educate your kids is just like slavery - well, OK then. Having to spend more money to educate your kids in a private school is just like a system where human beings are bought and sold like property

..... I understand that vouchers were not just for private schools; it included the better public schools. It gave them a choice; a way out of a bad neighborhood school.

Perhaps you could start a civil war to free the enslaved children of DC. Or start an underground railroad to get them out of DC to a place where they are free!

.......Yeah, ship them down south where the schools are better. Start a civil war? Can't do that. Had family on both sides of the last one. Besides, the next one won't be over education.

>Taking their (tax) money, and refusing to give it back to them, while
>openly admitting that you wouldn't send your own, upper class, privileged
>children to the public schools? Sounds more like slavery than
>disembowelment to me, but ok.

Yep, 100% true. A system where human beings can be sold like merchandise, where they can be tortured and raped if their owner sees fit to do so, and where they can be killed on a whim, sounds a lot like not getting a nice tax refund.

Coming up next week - cops who give speeding tickets are like serial killers, only worse.

The only two choices you gave me were disembowelment and slavery. I selected the one that seemed closest, from the options you presented.

Are you saying there might be other options?

That this isn't simply a black and white issue?

That we ought not to caricature the positions of those who disagree with us as akin to disembowelment and serial homicide?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I wish to personally apologize for the extent of my involvement in slavery.

And I would also like to humbly apologize for re-posting the following photoshop adjustment of my avatar, which is in terrible, terrible taste.

Yes, yes, I know I'm going to hell.

guess I shouldn't have had that second margarita before going online.:P

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------