Darius11

Iran election results fraudulent, People are getting killed on the streets. All media and communications are down.

I also have not agreed with many of your posts, but I sympathize with you the plight of the Iranian opposition and their struggle. It's hard for me to understand why BHO won't say anymore than he will not meddle, but too many times we have given false hopes to people fighting for change only to have them crushed without our help. Guess I answered my own question. Good luck.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

>It's hard for me to understand why BHO won't say anymore than he
>will not meddle . . .

Because we should not. I'd support any efforts aimed at ensuring the election was fair and/or supporting a recount. But if the election was mostly fair? Their country, their decision.

In 2000, Al Gore won the popular vote, but George Bush was elected president. You can agree or disagree with that result, but I am glad that no outside countries "intervened" to administer their version of "justice."

> . . .but too many times we have given false hopes to people fighting
> for change only to have them crushed without our help.

And too many times our meddling has resulted in their being crushed.

This may be the worlds first cyber revolution.
The under educated have been in power for 30 years and the educated types have finally found their feet.

Yes, but some of the educated people are working for the Iranian government. I've read news stories of how govt computers are shutting down journalists' web sites with denial-of-service attacks. (Although, apparently, the opposition is using DOS against govt computers, too.) Seems the Iranians are learning how to be more.... Chinese.

Seems the Iranians are learning how to be more.... Chinese.

Without Confucius, I can't see that being a viable strategy for the Iranian regime. The underlying nature of Islamic culture is very different from the confucian-ist chinese culture. And there are some fairly strong pre-Islamic persian cultural tendencies in Iran, too. I think that people there are a lot less likely to roll over and forget Tienanmen.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The country has been run by a bunch of red necks who think they speak to god and long for the "good old days of 1555". The life of the average person had become hell. Freedom shmeedom say the koran thumping arabs.
So it's about time. The gun and declirations of speaking to god will only take you so far.
Time for a change!
I say hang the religious nut jobs......Persian style....slowly!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

The country has been run by a bunch of red necks who think they speak to god ......!

I hade to read the title again to check which country that you were on about ...... could have been a number of them[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hi Dari.,
Break out yer' old Crosby Stills and Nash tunes....

"Something happenin' here,

What it is ain't exactly clear,

There's a man with a gun over there,

Tellin' me I got to beware!........

The song was poignant when it came out and is today!!

That's Buffalo Springfield; S&Y of CSN&Y were members.

BHO said a lot about democracy when he was in Cairo, and he was not just speaking to Arabs. At a minimum, we should not look away from the protesters, and BHO should ask the Iranian government to exercise restraint.

Looks like they counted a lot a paper votes in a short time. Where is Jimmy Carter? He must be too busy getting Hama off our hit list.

Do you really think there was no outside influence in our latest election?

Looks like they counted a lot a paper votes in a short time.

There also appear to be some unusual statistical aspects, i.e., perhaps too perfect statistics in the election. It's still being speculated on tho'.

Where is Jimmy Carter?

I don't think that the regime allowed any foreign election observers.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Where is Jimmy Carter?

I don't think that the regime allowed any foreign election observers.

/Marg

Surely, they would have allowed an exception to Jimmy. They knew he was so quick to bless the Chevez election.

This may be the worlds first cyber revolution.
The under educated have been in power for 30 years and the educated types have finally found their feet.

Hi Shah,
10-4 on that!! 'Just hope they don't slip and fall!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

>BHO said a lot about democracy when he was in Cairo . . .

Right. And democracy means accepting the decisions of the people of a country even if we disagree with those choices. Democracy is not "death to all who oppose us."

>Looks like they counted a lot a paper votes in a short time.

Yep. We count our votes in mere hours.

>Where is Jimmy Carter?

Meeting with Hamas, trying to help in Israel.

>Do you really think there was no outside influence in our latest election?

?? There was a huge outside influence in our latest election. We live in a world populated by trading partners, potential enemies, potential allies and dwindling resources. You'd have to be pretty dumb to ignore all that when you vote.

Looks like they counted a lot a paper votes in a short time.

There also appear to be some unusual statistical aspects, i.e., perhaps too perfect statistics in the election. It's still being speculated on tho'.

My sister pointed out that if you want to rig an election, it's usually a good idea to let the opposition win his home town.

I also have not agreed with many of your posts, but I sympathize with you the plight of the Iranian opposition and their struggle. It's hard for me to understand why BHO won't say anymore than he will not meddle,

Well, the most likely outcome remains that the current guy will stay in charge. This is the guy that keeps threatening the world and pursuing nukes and hosting holocaust denial parties. Obama has decided to change our approach and work the diplomatic angle. Given that, it would be a bit awkward for him to declare the election bogus and insist he step down. That's only a good move if you expect the opposition to prevail.

The country has been run by a bunch of red necks who think they speak to god and long for the "good old days of 1555".

I think the ruling elite of Iran are perfectly well educated. They just pander to the uneducated to maintain their position of luxury and power.

The country has been run by a bunch of red necks who think they speak to god and long for the "good old days of 1555".

I think the ruling elite of Iran are perfectly well educated. They just pander to the uneducated to maintain their position of luxury and power.

Well......I would argue that point by saying that any leader who relies on the divine for direction instead of facts is undereducated.
All of the leaders in the Guardian Council graduated for religious instructions. Mr. I’madonkylickingarab barely graduated from Tehran University.

Thanks but no thank! The 1550’s were fun and all…..but this freedom of speech thing is just too much fun.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

It's hard for me to understand why BHO won't say anymore than he will not meddle, but too many times we have given false hopes to people fighting for change only to have them crushed without our help. Guess I answered my own question. Good luck.

He's probably also noticed that, historically, any time the US chastises Iran for something or an American political group decides to start singing "Bomb Iran" songs, it gives ammunition to the hardliners in Iran. All they have to do at that point is say "See! The Americans are on the side of the reformists. They're once again trying to meddle in the affairs of the Iranian people!" This gives lots of Iranians flashbacks to the days of the Shah as well as appeals to their Iranian sense of patriotism/nationalism, leading to most of them falling back in line behind the government. So the best thing for us to do is to remember that this proto-revolution isn't about us and that we need to let the Iranian people determine their own fate.

It's hard for me to understand why BHO won't say anymore than he will not meddle

What's there to talk about? Iran doesn't pose a direct threat to the U.S. We don't have any evidence they are planning to attack us, or would be capable of doing so. Why should we do anything?

The U.S. is not the world police. And we can't invade every country that doesn't agree with our ideals. That philosophy went out with W, thank God. We have a responsibility to protect OUR citizens and OUR borders. Period.

Who cares if they rigged an election? Many other governments have done that.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD