riddler

Genetically engineered glow-in-the-dark dog

There is no excuse for this. Korean scientists have created, and also cloned, a dog that glows under blacklight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_sc/as_skorea_cloned_dogs

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korean scientists say they have engineered four beagles that glow red using cloning techniques that could help develop cures for human diseases. The four dogs, all named "Ruppy" — a combination of the words "ruby" and "puppy" — look like typical beagles by daylight.

But they glow red under ultraviolet light, and the dogs' nails and abdomens, which have thin skins, look red even to the naked eye.

I do not believe for a second that this was done in the interest of science. Iridescent dogs cannot possibly help cure human disease. It makes much more economic sense to give them a trademark name, like "Ruppy", and sell them at Wal-Mart for $1,000 per pop (Free Blacklight with every purchase!)

And despite my disgust, all I can wonder is: does their poop also glow? Because if it did, it would be really easy to avoid it while walking in the park.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

There is no excuse for this.

I think it's a little premature to say that. Some of the antecedents of the greatest inventions seemed pretty useless at the time.

Connect these two; a perfume atomizer and they way most people get from point A to point B in the US.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think it's a little premature to say that. Some of the antecedents of the greatest inventions seemed pretty useless at the time.

Connect these two; a perfume atomizer and they way most people get from point A to point B in the US.

Fuel carburation, as in internal combustion engines used by nearly all cars in the U.S.

I've always respected your opinion on these forums. Since I have no evidence to support my claims, I'm willing to bet $5 that we see glow-in-the-dark dogs for sale before we see any meaningful scientific breakthrough because of this. Let me know if you want to take me up on that.

Fuel carburation, as in internal combustion engines used by nearly all cars in the U.S.

I've always respected your opinion on these forums. Since I have no evidence to support my claims, I'm willing to bet $5 that we see glow-in-the-dark dogs for sale before we see any meaningful scientific breakthrough because of this. Let me know if you want to take me up on that.

And we saw atomizers being used to put perfume on people for at least a hundred years before we saw the first car. What comes first is never really the point.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And we saw atomizers being used to put perfume on people for at least a hundred years before we saw the first car. What comes first is never really the point.

Well, I can't argue with an open-ended timeline, either. It may be that in 100 years, someone can attach glowing enzymes to cancer cells, and everyone says "this is all due to that glow-in-the-dark dog that we made 100 years ago." OTOH, I think we'll see patents on, and the sale of, iridescent dogs within the next 10 years (and by that time, $5 will be worth about $1 in today's money).

So, for me, the point is, what is the real motivation of these particular scientists? Not all of them, just these ones. If they really believe that they are doing good for human medicine, more power to them. But if their motivation is a new breed of dog with even more health problems, to be sold as a novelty, then this group of scientists is out of control.

Thus, I posted to Speaker's Corner, not Bonfire ;)

>I do not believe for a second that this was done in the interest of science.
>Iridescent dogs cannot possibly help cure human disease.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Imagine, for example, a clinical trial where tens of thousands of transgenic mice are exposed to a carcinogen, and only the ones that elicit a strong T-cell response express the fluorescent protein. A test that formerly would have taken days (and a lot of work) is now done in a few minutes with a UV light.

Indeed, on a smaller scale, ELISA tests using fluorescent markers are now one of the most useful tools in biomedical research there is.

Even for more mundane purposes it could be useful. Imagine, for example, this technology used to create fluorescent patches on farm animals, each of which expresses the protein when a certain antibody is detected. Swine flu? The pig's feet fluoresce. Mad cow? The cow's tail fluoresces. Imagine how many animal's lives (and in some cases human lives) could be saved.

>I'm willing to bet $5 that we see glow-in-the-dark dogs for sale before we
>see any meaningful scientific breakthrough because of this.

Probably true. But if we get both we're still ahead.

So, for me, the point is, what is the real motivation of these particular scientists? Not all of them, just these ones. If they really believe that they are doing good for human medicine, more power to them. But if their motivation is a new breed of dog with even more health problems, to be sold as a novelty, then this group of scientists is out of control.

The entire dog breeding industry, esp the puppy mills, is not an area where knowledge is bliss.

Ignoring the fact we are talking about fluorescence, and not luminescence, I should think a team of glow-in-the-dark sled-dogs would be handy in the arctic during those long, dark winter months.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It may be that in 100 years, someone can attach glowing enzymes to cancer cells

To summarise Billvons post below yours:

We already can - and it's an invaluable tool in (cancer) research. ;)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

The purpose of the experiment was to establish the technology to insert genes into the dog genome and actually have them be expressed. In the old days people would use a gene for an enzyme not present in dogs, for example a gene for a plant enzyme. Of course, to see if the gene is expressed as a functional enzyme, you'd have to extract the dog, which usually would be the end of the dog. These days you can use red (or green, or yellow) fluorescent protein; to see if the gene is inserted correctly and expresses a functional protein, you just shine a blacklight on the dog and see if it glows. No need for the messy dog-in-a-blender assay. Why is this possibly useful? For human medicine, dogs are in some ways more similar to humans than mice are, so they may be a better experimental system to test things out in. For example, dogs have a vomiting reflex and rodents don't. For the dogs, it could well be possible to use the technology (of inserting functional genes) to correct some well-known genetic defects in many breeds, for example hip displasia. You'd get a healthier dog and a cool party trick at the same time.

Don

The purpose of the experiment was to establish the technology to insert genes into the dog genome and actually have them be expressed.

Yeah, I read the article ;) I was expressing doubt about the scientific validity as pertains to human disease, as was the stated intention of the experiment. Chimps are closer in genome to humans than dogs, but then again, most people wouldn't buy a chimp as a pet, so there's no reason to do this with them. As I said, I doubt there was good scientific reason.

Look for glow-in-the-dark cats and goldfish next.

We already can - and it's an invaluable tool in (cancer) research.

You are saying that in standard cancer research, iridescent genes are inserted into patients' DNA so that doctors can see where the cancer is with a blacklight? I've never heard of that - maybe you can provide a link?

Lol - now, you're just making me look foolish :D OK, I admit, the glow-in-the-dark fish has already been done. And only $18.50 per-pisci, except in California. Those damn liberals with their gun laws and genetically-engineered-glow-in-the-dark-fish laws!

And despite my disgust,

and yet how many brain dead stereotype skydiver with the tattoos and piercings (to repeat - in order to show they are an individual .... just like everyone else) do you know that would pay good money to make themselves either irridescent just for giggles?

and then we'd 'celebrate' that diversity - OR ELSE

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

and yet how many brain dead stereotype skydiver with the tattoos and piercings (to repeat - in order to show they are an individual .... just like everyone else) do you know that would pay good money to make themselves either irridescent just for giggles?

and then we'd 'celebrate' that diversity - OR ELSE

Al long time ago, at a DZ in IN, I knew a guy who left the DZ party, went out to his car, stripped naked, broke open some Cyalume lightsticks, smeared them all over himself, then came casually strolling back into the party.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And despite my disgust,

You can make yourself glow with gene therapy or you can make everybody glow with warped´s home made flame thrower... :P

And despite my disgust,

You can make yourself glow with gene therapy or you can make everybody glow with warped´s home made flame thrower... :P

but the flamethrower is temporary and stings a bit

I like the 'abuse the cylumes' method - quick, simple, classy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't know. Could be the first steps in getting puppies to poop crude oil.

Edit - I might even let them experiment on me (well, maybe the kids), if I could fill up my tank by peeing in it.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

And despite my disgust,

Wow just think of the possibilities.... glow in the dark cocks...:ph34r: