warpedskydiver

Personal Firearms Ownership.

Does anyone here truly want to state why they believe I should not be able to own firearms?.

I really want to have an open and honest dialog with someone willing to actually address what is being asked and why they are against it.

Feel free to opine if you can stay civil and actually have something pertinent to say.

Can you provide a link to any post where someone said that you personally should not own a firearm?

Or are you just trolling?

Exhibit A.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Here's two:
"If I could have gotten another 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in, I would have done that. But I could not do that; the votes were not there."
- Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA), February 5, 1995, CBS "60 Minutes", regarding guns.

"Banning guns is an idea whose time has come".
- Then Sen. Joseph Biden, interview with AP, Nov 18, 1993.

Well at least someone gets it.

I wonder why so many people support those who are like Feinstein and Biden.

The list of politicians who are against all gun ownership by us mere plebes is far longer than one might think.

I really want to know who amongst you would strip me of that right and for what reason.

If you would not do so then why do you support any politician who would.

Does it feel better to be absolved by being able to say
"they did it not me" even though you support such an action.

Does anyone here truly want to state why they believe I should not be able to own firearms?

Propaganda like this states why some believe that you shouldn't own a firearm:

If I only had a gun

And... YES. I did call it propaganda - the spreading of ideas, (mis)information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause.

And I do believe that this episode of 20/20 was scripted and timed to coincide with likely up coming legislation proposals. Speculation on my part? yes, but we'll see . . . .

Too many people depend on the media to tell them what to think....

While there are some people who are complete abolitionists, I think the debate is generally contaminated by those who equate any talk of gun control with gun abolition.
I don't think you should be allowed to have a cannon in the city. I think David Koresh probably had more guns than was reasonable. I think minors should have restrictions (positive parental controls) over gun ownership.
Gun control is a very slippery slope, but that is not a sufficient reason to not consider the pros and cons.

The list of politicians who are against all gun ownership by us mere plebes is far longer than one might think.

I really want to know who amongst you would strip me of that right and for what reason.

If you would not do so then why do you support any politician who would.

I wouldn't support a politician who wanted to repeal the 2nd Amendment. (I assume that's what you mean when you say "against all gun ownership"?)

But if a politician's views on gun control differ only slightly from mine, then there are plenty of other issues to consider.

If you would not do so then why do you support any politician who would

I think any law abiding citizen should have the right to own guns and arm themselves. I believe that is a constitutional right not only for self defence but to never be under the rule of tyranny. Government can and in history has gotten out of hand. An armed public is less likely to be submissive.

The reason i have voted for politicians that go against my belief about guns is i agreed with some of there other view points. You cant win them all i felt i had to compromise because the ones who support my view about guns almost support none of my other views.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

While there are some people who are complete abolitionists, I think the debate is generally contaminated by those who equate any talk of gun control with gun abolition.

I think it's contaminated by the people who claim to be about 'reasonable' gun control but who are open about their desire to ban private ownership. There's no good faith in their tactics.

As to this thread - there are quite a few Europeans/Aussies/Kiwis who post here that none of us should have guns. The US ones are usually more subtle, the same way bigots now no longer feel they can talk about how much they hate black people.

I don't think so. There are many leading US politicians who are on the public record stating that they view various gun control measures as only a first step, or a partial solution, and that their personal end goal is the removal of all firearms from civilian hands.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

There are many leading US politicians who are on the public record stating that they view various gun control measures as only a first step, or a partial solution, and that their personal end goal is the removal of all firearms from civilian hands.

Can you give a few names?

There are many leading US politicians who are on the public record stating that they view various gun control measures as only a first step, or a partial solution, and that their personal end goal is the removal of all firearms from civilian hands.

Can you give a few names?

See post #8 in this thread.

You live in California, don't you? Here are some of your local lawmakers:

Assemblyman Sheila Kuehl (D-Santa Monica): "'Why don't we just collect all the damn things and melt them down?"

Assembly Democratic Floor Leader Kevin Shelley of San Franciscol: "I, too, would like to see guns banned. . . . I can even vote that way and still win reelection. But the vast majority of lawmakers cannot, so we vote on measures now that we can. And then we move society along."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

See post #8 in this thread.

You live in California, don't you? Here are some of your local lawmakers:

Assemblyman Sheila Kuehl (D-Santa Monica): "'Why don't we just collect all the damn things and melt them down?"

Assembly Democratic Floor Leader Kevin Shelley of San Franciscol: "I, too, would like to see guns banned. . . . I can even vote that way and still win reelection. But the vast majority of lawmakers cannot, so we vote on measures now that we can. And then we move society along."

Do you have references to any of these? I'm particularly interested in seeing where Biden is on public record stating that his personal goal is the removal of all firearms from civilian hands. (I assume Biden is one of the people you're talking about, since you referred me to post #8.) Also, the Feinstein remark that John quoted, I believe was in reference to a particular type of gun, not all guns. I'm not sure about this, but it's hard to draw a conclusion from quotes that may be taken out of context.

Do you have references to any of these?

I pulled them off a pro-gun website, but it appears the original source is the LA Times, toward the end of this article. I found it by pasting the quotes into Google to look for original sources.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Can you provide a link to any post where someone said that you personally should not own a firearm?

Here's two:

"If I could have gotten another 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in, I would have done that. But I could not do that; the votes were not there."
- Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA), February 5, 1995, CBS "60 Minutes", regarding guns.

"Banning guns is an idea whose time has come".
- Then Sen. Joseph Biden, interview with AP, Nov 18, 1993.

I wasn't aware that either of them posted on DZ.COM
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

I found it by pasting the quotes into Google to look for original sources.

Yeah, I did that too. It came up with a bunch of pro-gun sites with quotes out of context, but no real references.

In the LA Times article that you posted, it's not clear whether they are referring to all guns or just a particular type of gun (handguns?).

Providing a link to someone saying that no one should own a firearm ought to be sufficient, actually.

But the OP specifically referred to himself.

How do we know (other than his own unverified claims) that he is not a felon or mentally unstable?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

The same way whether or not we know if you are a child abductor, a meth addict, rapist or anything else you would like to say about someone who wants to own a gun.

I have proven through various background checks that I am not a person who has violated any of these dis qualifiers.

Do you have a security clearance?

Probably not.

Do you have a criminal record?

I would know if we knew who you really are and a DOB.