lolimfalling

Pilot who paused to pray in crash-landing sentenced to 10 years in jail

The article said he panicked and then prayed. I wouldn't call that pausing, it makes it appear like he stopped and put the situation in gods hands.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

That article leaves a lot of information out. Like the MX personel who are also going to jail for putting the wrong fuel indication part on the airplane. The pilot was not the sole cause of the plane running out of fuel and having to ditch but they share some blame also.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I agree with the others - the article is poorly written, leaving out info, and is deceptive - the caption of the photo saying the pilot was "praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures." That's bullshit. The pilot didn't pause to pray instead of executing EPs. He panicked and froze; and while in that state, he prayed.

It's not lost on me, either, that the pilot is Tunisian. Gee, I wonder what the predominant religion is in Tunisia. I'll betcha the prayer wasn't a Hail Mary (although that landing mighta been). I think it's time for me to play my "bigotry card" on the Telegraph's author and editors. Sodding wankers.

the article is poorly written, leaving out info, and is deceptive - the caption of the photo saying the pilot was "praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures." That's bullshit. The pilot didn't pause to pray instead of executing EPs. He panicked and froze; and while in that state, he prayed.

Haha, the sweet fucking irony. Convenient of you, Andy, to leave out the full caption of the photo; "Tuninter plane: The pilot had succumbed to panic, praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures". Seems like you're trying to intentionally deceive the reader, sonny.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The article said he panicked and then prayed. I wouldn't call that pausing, it makes it appear like he stopped and put the situation in gods hands.

God should definately not be allowed to take the left seat because he is a notoriously shit pilot.

the article is poorly written, leaving out info, and is deceptive - the caption of the photo saying the pilot was "praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures." That's bullshit. The pilot didn't pause to pray instead of executing EPs. He panicked and froze; and while in that state, he prayed.

Haha, the sweet fucking irony. Convenient of you, Andy, to leave out the full caption of the photo; "Tuninter plane: The pilot had succumbed to panic, praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures". Seems like you're trying to intentionally deceive the reader, sonny.

Silly nonsense. Did you even think about what you typed before you clicked Post Reply? Go pick a fight with someone else in the playground.

Silly nonsense. Did you even think about what you typed before you clicked Post Reply? Go pick a fight with someone else in the playground.

Did you? You bash the article for focusing on praying rather than panicking, when you intentionally snipped the quote you took to remove any mention of panic.

Check again, you said "That's bullshit. The pilot didn't pause to pray instead of executing EPs. He panicked and froze" and they said "The pilot had succumbed to panic".

Your criticism is based upon a deceptively edited, out of context quote. You know you've done it, man up and admit that you've been caught out instead of getting juvenile and pissy.

Talk to the hand. I'm not interested in your childish game.

Ah, the classic sound of a man who knows he has no argument.

You intentionally took a quote out of context to support a weak position, I called you on it. What game is that?

Talk to the hand. I'm not interested in your childish game.

Ah, the classic sound of a man who knows he has no argument.

You intentionally took a quote out of context to support a weak position, I called you on it. What game is that?

I don't know for certain, jakee, but it appears that you are mistaken here. It seems that Andy read the article and quoted the main headline, which indicates the pilot prayed instead of executing EPs. The secondary headline, grey text below the photograph, indicates the guy panicked.

What's Andy trying to deceive me (the reader) about? Am I supposed to believe that he should anchor the evening news because he's terribly shrewd? :S

I think the more notable point Andy made is that the pilot is Muslim and couldn't handle the situation because he's too busy praying to Allah. It brings to mind something akin to brainwashing.

So would you rather be flown by a Muslim or a Jew/Christian? Would you be concerned if your commercial pilot is Muslim? Those would make interesting poll questions, I think.

Edit to Add:

There is a video posted about this crash - the link was posted above by Botellines. After watching this video, it seems to me the pilots acted professionally and I didn't detect any panicking at all. One pilot offered an occassional prayer and I see nothing wrong with that. I'm wondering how it happened that the pilot was jailed because of the crash?
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I think the more notable point Andy made is that the pilot is Muslim and couldn't handle the situation because he's too busy praying to Allah. It brings to mind something akin to brainwashing.

No, actually, I was saying that the pilot simply froze, and then, after having frozen, he prayed aloud. The prayer had nothing to do with the pilot's inaction. I'm also suggesting that the Telegraph might very well have taken a completely different angle on the story had the pilot not (probably) been Muslim; the "sodding wankers" I'm referring to are the article's author and the paper's editors, for displaying what I think is at least an undercurrent of anti-Muslim ethnic bias, and implying that Muslim pilots are less safe than non-Muslim ones due to their religion.

It's at this point that I often start getting accused of "playing the race card." Oh, well.

I don't know for certain, jakee, but it appears that you are mistaken here. It seems that Andy read the article and quoted the main headline

I am not mistaken, you are. From Andy's post; "I agree with the others - the article is poorly written, leaving out info, and is deceptive - the caption of the photo saying the pilot was "praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures." That's bullshit. The pilot didn't pause to pray instead of executing EPs. He panicked and froze; and while in that state, he prayed."

Andy criticises that caption of the photo as being intentionally deceptive because it talks about praying not panicking. In fact, Andy has intentionally snipped the caption to cover up the fact that it says exactly, exactly, what he criticises it for not saying! Why he has done this, I have no clue.

What's Andy trying to deceive me (the reader) about?

The percieved bias of the article.

And so accuses the writers of bigotry. But there's no mention of any particular religion in the article, or suggestion that it happened because the pilot was foreign. The author of the article is hardly to blame for the fact that the accident happened in Tunisia.

Please see my edit above.

None of us were in the cockpit of the aircraft so we don't know what happened. The writer of the article wasn't there and did a pretty poor job of reporting. The video I saw didn't indicate there was any panicking taking place so I again wonder, what happened that merited a jail sentence? There is a lot about this air crash that we don't know - and taken in total, it's a lot that I don't care about.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I got an idea. How about look into why the plane ran out of fuel in the first place. Sure the pilot should have seen he was low on fuel you would think. But the investigation found why they ran out of fuel to begin with. Sure the pilot choked but he was served a pretty big shit burger.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

> Still trying to figure out the point where they quit doing their job.

Yep. Unless they made some as-yet unmentioned egregious error (like not making for an alternate that was clearly within gliding range) there's nothing on the tape to indicate they froze, panicked, gave in to prayer or otherwise weren't doing their jobs.

I read on a pilot's forum a bit about this. The opinion there was that there should have been some additional fuel level checks (dipstick being one of them) that would have shown that something was amiss. Still the focus of the Italian prosecution was that it would have been better to try to glide the plane over 4 miles of densly populated Palermo after their original location was 20 nm away at 4k ASL.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher