shortyj

Do you think America is a "free" country

The term is open to interprettion, and my opinion is that yes, we are relatively free.

We can vote in open elections, we can live where we want, pursue our education and career of choice, practice religion freely, speak out against our government (these forums being a perfect example), get married and have families without a whole lot of restriction, eat really shitty fast food, buy really fast cars, live in squalor, grow our hair long, go to church in shorts, stand on the streetcorner and rant like a lunatic, and a whole lot of other things.

There may be places where there are little tiny increments of additional freedom, but there are a whole lot of places where many of the things we take for granted would land you in the clink, if not on the chopping block.

In my mind the granting of much more freedom than we have would bring us perilously close to voiding the social contract. I get the feeling that those who answer that we are not free might prefer something close to anarchy.

What freedoms would you be looking for if you've said we are not free?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Just wanted to see how many people think it's true. I personally think our Constitution is slowing going away:( What good is it if it is gone.

You mean like the Patriot Act for example?

Yes just one of the many. Do you think it's really there to protect you? I don't. Tap your phone calls and they can arrest you for no reason.B|
Playtime is essential.

Just wanted to see how many people think it's true. I personally think our Constitution is slowing going away:( What good is it if it is gone.

You mean like the Patriot Act for example?

Yes just one of the many. Do you think it's really there to protect you? I don't. Tap your phone calls and they can arrest you for no reason.B|

No, I do not believe it is there to protect us. That's what I dont get about some gung ho Americans, they claim that they are all for freedom but support stupid shit like the patriot act.
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

Where's the "Who cares" option:P

We've got more than enough of our own problems to worry about.

holy $shit! Did you just really say that?!

this is the mentality that lets government take control of more and more of your life. wake up brother.

He didn't say he doesn't care if his country is free; he just said he doesn't give a shit whether yours is.:|

Yeah. Seriously.

I'll make some (probably wrong) assumptions about what you think using only your post as a guide:

1. Voting for "bread and circuses" is bad.
2. Obama and Democrats in general are the party of "bread and circuses".
3. Obama and party will erode the US Constitution.
4. America is in danger of becoming less free because of #3 above.
5. Voting for "bread and circuses" makes America less free.

How right am I?

- Dan G

Close but I think I deserve more credit than that. Allow me to make some changes.

1. Voting for bread and circuses is bad.
2. Republicans and Democrats in general are the party of bread and circuses. MLB steroid use hearings anyone? Fuck they even tried to make the Belicheck cheat scandal a skeptical. Thankfully they failed.
3. I think Obama and Congress will further erode the US Constitution. Obama is transparent and Congress doesn't even try to hide it anymore.
4 & 5 aren't even necessary.

Now if I was wrong about Obama, and damn do I wish I was, then the candidate who promised to do something about Guantanimo Bay would cause heads to roll in light of new reports of even worse torture at the aformentioned base.

Goddamn do I wish I was wrong. [:/]

www.FourWheelerHB.com

For the people that voted "No and I'm an American" . . .

What do you think you're not "free" to currently do that you feel you ought to be able to?

Seriously?

-Marry someone of the same sex.

-use marijuana for medicinal purposes. or even recreational purposes but that's not nearly as important as medicinal.

-bear arms.

-Purchase and own regular capacity magazines for my XD45.

- gamble online

Is that enough ammunitiion for ya?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

For the people that voted "No and I'm an American" . . .

What do you think you're not "free" to currently do that you feel you ought to be able to?

Seriously?

#1. I am not a gun owner but I don't think people should have to register theirs.

#2. I don't like cigs but to tell a private place i.e. bar that their patrons cannot smoke is stepping over the line.

#3 My kids go to public school but cannot pray there, I don't think so.

#4.Unlawful taxes

#5 FDA says that food is GMO they don't have to tell you

#6 Forceful vaccinations that have toxic substances in them they want to shoot my kids up with, mind you these haven't been proven to prevent the disease.

#7 The RFID chip in passports why?

Thats just a few.
Playtime is essential.

Is that enough ammunitiion for ya?

Well, at least you don't have a ONE track mind. ;)

As far as owning guns in the US, I think you'll find the US is pretty fuggin' well armed. I'm not really certain how anybody can think otherwise.

Marry someone of the same sex. There are a couple of legal work arounds and considering the state the gay community was in even 30 years ago I think the US is making good progress. Far less to do with the government and more to do with religious zealots though as far as I can see.

Marijuana . . . ok, maybe you don't have a lot of "legal" options, but it's certainly available and I'm nearly certain most people can get any quantity they want if they have the money or, if they aren't too lazy, grow their own.

Gamble on-line . . . seriously? This is a big issue? People don't like taxes yet are willing to piss away their money on gambling. I don't get it. I've always thought gambling was a tax on people that failed basic math.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>#1. I am not a gun owner but I don't think people should have to register theirs.

Agreed. Fortunately, in most places and for most weapons, people do NOT have to register them.

>#2. I don't like cigs but to tell a private place i.e. bar that their patrons cannot
>smoke is stepping over the line.

If it is a private bar with no employees (sole proprietorship) I'd agree. If it is a private bar with employees, then they have a right to a safe workplace.

However, if the air handling system is sufficient to keep the air clear of smoke, then the health risk issue is not a significant one.

>#3 My kids go to public school but cannot pray there, I don't think so.

??? Sure they can. Have them pray during lunch; no one will stop them. Just don't expect the school to set aside extra time during the day to pray. I have no desire to pay a teacher a salary so she can sit and watch kids pray.

>#4.Unlawful taxes

I agree! No unlawful taxes.

>#5 FDA says that food is GMO they don't have to tell you

??? Plenty of foods are GMO free and say so right there on the container. Sounds like your freedoms are intact there.

>#6 Forceful vaccinations that have toxic substances in them they want to
>shoot my kids up with, mind you these haven't been proven to prevent the
>disease.

Sorry, your right to not have your kid vaccinated ends when a disease he gets can kill my kid. The reason people do not lose most of their children today is BECAUSE of vaccinations.

>#7 The RFID chip in passports why?

Make it easier to identify passports. Not too different than a barcode.

Gamble on-line . . . seriously? This is a big issue?

I don't even gamble except maybe throw some coins in a slot or two or three while im in vegas. However in the same respect I'm not gay either but I do feel gay marriage should not be illegal. So gambling online isn't a big issue but I have to ask why is it illegal?

As far as owning guns in the US, I think you'll find the US is pretty fuggin' well armed. I'm not really certain how anybody can think otherwise.

I do own a firearm and I can bear it but I can't load it while I'm bearing it without it being a felony. Not even in my front yard. Oh and if I do decide to holster it on my hip, unconcealed, while unloaded, then you best believe I will be proned out by the cops even though it is perfectly legal to do.

Marijuana . . . ok, maybe you don't have a lot of "legal" options, but it's certainly available and I'm nearly certain most people can get any quantity they want if they have the money or, if they aren't too lazy, grow their own.

Ability and freedom are two different things.
www.FourWheelerHB.com