hwt

Science or Religion ?

Would you give us a couple examples of what you consider "theories of religion"?

Or perhaps ... backing up a few steps ... what do you mean by "theory"?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Would you give us a couple examples of what you consider "theories of religion"?

/Marg

Theory... a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action b: an ideal .Blue Skies:)

That suggestion includes everything from common sense to bias to internet rumor to historical legend to arcane ethical code to legal regulations.

Ideals are not theories.

While there is a popular usage of the word "theory" to mean “notional guess” or speculation or hypothesis, the use of the term is innacurate when applied to scientific theories.

The problem -- perhaps semantics or precision versus vernacular usage -- is that until you have lots of publicly available, independently repeatable physical *evidence* supporting casuality, what one has is hypothesis (at best), notional speculation, or bad rumors (at worse) not scientific theory.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

there are no theroies in religion

religion = you believe it or you dont
science = if you verify it according to an established standard of evaluation, then its theoritacally probable.

great thing about science - if you prove something wrong, then we have learned something new.

bad thing about relegion - if you prove something wrong, then you rot in hell.
Born ok 1st time.

I'll stick with Scientific theories. Science uses repeatable experiments and observations to explain why things in nature are the way they are.
Science is open to new theories based on these experiments and observations that better explain what we see in nature. That is why they are called theories. Some theories have been accepted as fact. ie.electicity, gravity, evolution.
Whereas religion offers no room for alternate explainations of how things work and only offers its followers the option to believe on faith that things are the way they are because that is how God made them.
Religion offers no proof that God exists. Only that one must believe and have faith that God created everything and if you don't believe or are questioning these teachings then you will burn in hell.
Religion came about as a way for ancient man to explain the unexplained natural world. (lighning, earthquakes, rain, etc.) Then religion is used to control the masses and keep power in the hands of the few who purport to have the ability to communicate with God and know what is the master plan.
If God exists then how would he/she feel about all the killing that has been carreid out in the name of God. Isn't the sixth commandment
THOU SHALT NOT KILL

Be excellent to one another,

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

there are no theroies in religion

religion = you believe it or you dont
science = if you verify it according to an established standard of evaluation, then its theoritacally probable.

yes that's by definition -

this issue is all these people thinking of the two as a either/or proposition

which it isn't

for them:
1st scenario - science - yes THEREFORE religion - no
that's not very scientific at all really

2nd scenario - science - yes AND IT COMPLETELY UNDERPINS religion - yes

not a lot of positions where people take a science = no position.....

for me:
science - yes (and in a completely unrelated decision...) religion - no

faith and science are two completely unrelated items and there is no conflict in in any combination of belief systems relating to the two

that's why this poll is utter crap

science - convince me of a position
religion - choose a position

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Science or Religion ?

How about Relience?

:$

EDIT

...for example...It is written that God will destroy the earth and create a new earth...

so...maybe when the earth burns up, mars will be the new earth....no?

I think I heard some science on that...

Then...by that logic we could get a lil crazy n' have some fun and say that Pluto regains status as a planet and will someday be our "ninth live" (that is to say we are on our third).....no?

EXTRA EDIT

I think the conservatives will like Jupiter!;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

faith and science are two completely unrelated items and there is no conflict in in any combination of belief systems relating to the two

except if you're a fundalmentalist.

of either type

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

and the liberals will like Uranus

(don't tell me you didn't set that up on purpose)

and the liberals will like Uranus

The conservatives will actually like Uranus (tap tap), but they won't admit it.
The liberals will just say that there's not anything wrong with that and have a parade.

>I think the conservatives will like Jupiter!

>>As a matter of fact I do, lived here all of my life, what about it?

It's SO BIG!

It would take like a million years to obtain globalization/globalisation!;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I am noticing a trend in this thread. People are saying religion, but I think they mean the christian religion. Saying that if you don't believe then you will burn in hell is pretty much only part of christian dogma, and maybe muslium. I personally am pagon, so I believe there is something more than us out there, not an all knowing all powerful god though. I also believe very much in science and evolution.

rehmwa's post summed it up.

Also, the burn in hell (if you don't believe) isn't necessarily true about religion.

I hear some of the atheists on this forum say things like "Well, I ONLY believe in things that are scientifically provable!"

But that's bullshit, because that same person might believe in ALL SORTS of things that aren't scientifically provable.

For example, I believe in the following theory:

People who have the loudest car stereos are more likely to have the shittiest taste in music.

That's not provable scientifically, but we all KNOW it's true.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------