rushmc

Evolution, Yes, No?

It seems that facts and observed science can never overcome stupid people willing to believe 6500 year old begatting goat herders. That was the best they could do to explain their world.... one would think that one can still believe in GOD with a LITTLE bit of updated information.

If you asked if people believed in Lorentz invariance or gauge symmetries as a basis for quantum field theories I'm willing to wager a beer or two that the numbers would be significantly worse.

The only thing those numbers show is that people don't believe what they don't understand.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

It seems that facts and observed science can never overcome stupid people willing to believe 6500 year old begatting goat herders. That was the best they could do to explain their world.... one would think that one can still believe in GOD with a LITTLE bit of updated information.

I see how blinding your fear it.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Thanks...for the prayers...

But its not fear ... I just do not fear science

No one is more blind than those who will not see.

Thanks...for the prayers...

But its not fear ... I just do not fear science

No one is more blind than those who will not see.

You are welcome

And I dont think that those who believe fear science. I think they go together nicley.

So yes, you are very correct, no one is more blind than those who "refuse" to see.
Abraham Lincoln

We evolved. No question about it. We have skeletal remains that show it. Why is there so much debate. As humans were the only species, so far, to make the great leap we created religion out of necessity. People are just believing a story that has been fucked with and rewritten countless times. They need faith. They want it. We deny the fact that we are responsible for our own actions with it. Hell the idea of even having 1 god didn't even come about until 1,200 BC. There had been modern humans on the planet since 200,000 B.C. Come on. The story of that guy Jesus is plagiarized. Look it up. It's purely astrological and that same exact story had been told about 7 times, a few thousand years before him. Born of a virgin, 12 disciples, baptized at 30 by a close friend, died and rose three days later. I am not atheist. I am agnostic. I was a born again christian for 16 years and now that I am doing my own research and homework I actually find the whole concept of religion/faith well... silly. It's a story. With protagonists and antagonists. We evolved and one day we'll be gone and some other species will dominate this planet and who knows what beliefs they'll have. Hopefully they wont say that there is only one way like us when we practice 10,000 different ways. It's an idea!!! R.W Emmerson was right. if we could practice accountability and self reliance, we would be a perfect species.

Good George Carlin quote:

Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...but he loves you. [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased"]
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

We evolved. No question about it. We have skeletal remains that show it. Why is there so much debate. As humans were the only species, so far, to make the great leap we created religion out of necessity. We deny the fact that we are responsible for our own actions. Hell the idea of even having 1 god didn't even come about until 1,200 BC. There had been modern humans on the planet since 200,000 B.C. Come on. I am not athiest. I am agnostic. I was a born again christian for 16 years and now that I am doing my own research and homework I actually find the whole concept of religion well... silly. It's a story. With protagonists and antagonists. We evolved and one day we'll be gone and some other species will dominate this planet and who knows what beliefs they'll have. Hopefully they wont say that there is only one way like us when we practice 10,000 different ways. It's an idea!!!

Good George Carlin quote:

Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...but he loves you. [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased"]

The emotions generated by both sides of this are funny to me.

I am not what many would call a religious person but, I believe evolution IS intelligent design.
They do not need to be or have to be exclusive of one another.

I am sorry you are so upset by a position different than yours.. I must be frustrating to see the peace in those who are deeply religious.

I don’t care so much about whether or not there is a god (so to speak) I care more about the message of what good living is.

Take it for what its worth.

I don’t think non-believers go to hell and neither does the Catholic church (or most churches for that matter).

I believe, as does the church, that the way one lives a life determines that.

And that heaven, or hell, can be after life or during it. I see no difference between them.

Did we evolve? Yes, that is nature. Did evolution evolve or was that process created? Good question don’t you think?

And, does the answer, or the opinion, really matter in the end?
Abraham Lincoln

very wise my friend. Whether or not there is a God or not the values written by man in that book are a good way to live. Very hippie like. But, greed, society always gets in the way. I sometimes think that too. That evolution is intelligent design. It's an ongoing battle I hope you can see. Did you know that there were some books left out of the New Testament. In those were like 4 totally different depictions of "hell". It airs on the history channel every once in a while. Like one version of hell is life on earth. Another is being away from God like here on Earth. I dont know. Like I said. There are so many different ideas and takes on it and if it was all true then it would be solid.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Agreed

and thanks

I have never felt this topic has to be so divisive. Our exchange shows this clearly.
Abraham Lincoln

I just do not fear science

But do you trust science? Science has been wrong many of time, so what makes science any more believable than belief in GOD? Also, why do people fear and attack those who believe in GOD?

Gee scinece has allowed for much of the things we have in life... if you have so much faith... how about jumping out of an airplane (product of science)... with out a parachute (product of science)

Yeah I would have to say.. most people in the world today do in fact trust science.

Perhaps you should ask those who dont.

Gee scinece has allowed for much of the things we have in life... if you have so much faith... how about jumping out of an )

And many of people that have TRUSTED that science have died because of its flaws. Airplanes (product of science)...FAIL, parachutes (product of science.....FAIL. My faith is that I know enough that science (people based) is not perfect and always right.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

But do you trust science? Science has been wrong many of time, so what makes science any more believable than belief in GOD? Also, why do people fear and attack those who believe in GOD?

Science is based first and foremost on experimental evidence. Science deals with what happens in the real world. That's what makes it believable.

By the way, a revealing quote from the article: ""Among those with high-school educations or less who have an opinion on Darwin's theory, more say they do not believe in evolution than say they believe in it," Gallup found. "For all other groups, and in particular those who have at least a college degree, belief is significantly higher than nonbelief."

Just 21 percent of respondents who had up to a high school level of education believe in evolution, compared with 74 percent of those with postgraduate degrees.
"

Hmm, now what does that tell us?

As for attacking people who believe in God, I attack people who want to introduce their repellent God based morality into our legal system, or teach their insanely fucking stupid God based pseudo-science into the education system. Idiots like that will be the death of modern civilisation, if we let them.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Because SCIENCE is open to new ideas.

Not always

Because SCIENCE is based on REASON/RATIONALITY/EVIDENCE

Not always

Because SCIENCE UPDATES it's ideas as NEW EVIDENCE APPEARS

Not always
Science is based on people and people are flawed so science is sometimes flawed.

Because people are stupid, and it's fun to ridicule stupidity

People are stupid because you say so? What is fun about ridicule?

Science is based first and foremost on experimental evidence. Science deals with what happens in the real world. That's what makes it believable.

Global warming proves you wrong here

Abraham Lincoln

Theory - (1) A statement or set of statements designed to explain a phenomenon or class of phenomena. (2) A set of rules or principles designed for the study or practice of an art or discipline. (3) Abstract though untested in practice. (4) An assumption or guess.

It is called Darwin's THEORY of Evolution, not his LAW of Evolution or did something change since I left school. It would appear that the case is not closed on this subject and requires additional study.

Intelligent design is another THEORY and is the biblical explanation.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

As for attacking people who believe in God, I attack people who want to introduce their repellent God based morality into our legal system, or teach their insanely fucking stupid God based pseudo-science into the education system. Idiots like that will be the death of modern civilisation, if we let them.According to you. What makes your beliefs any better or more true that those who have the opposite view? Why does it make your blood boil to the point that you resort to childish name calling that takes away any credibility of your position? Can you not discuss the issues without becoming hostile? Can you not respect others views that have respected yours without attacking you as a person?

And many of people that have TRUSTED that science have died because of its flaws. Airplanes (product of science)...FAIL, parachutes (product of science.....FAIL. My faith is that I know enough that science (people based) is not perfect and always right.

Disregarding the fact that you seem to be confusing science with engineering choices, let's see what you're saying here.

Because some aeroplane designs have been flawed, does that mean aerodynamics is wrong? Does that mean that lift doesn't exist and it's actually God that picks up planes and carries them across the sky? Of course it fucking doesn't, and anyone who seriously suggested it would be an idiot.

You wouldn't throw out the fundamental basics of physics because we don't know every single detail of materials science or fluid dynamics yet, but you want to throw out the fundamental basics of biology because we don't know every detail of materials science or fluid dynamics yet.

Evidence makes science more believable the God!!
There is no tangible evidence for God, science is based on tangible evidence.

Intelligent design is another THEORY and is the biblical explanation.

ID hardly warrants the label of Theory - it's not science based it's a fairly tale at best.

Theories at least have a thread of tangible and logical substance. ID Does not.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It is called Darwin's THEORY of Evolution, not his LAW of Evolution or did something change since I left school. It would appear that the case is not closed on this subject and requires additional study.

Evolution is a fact. It happens. There is zero room for disagreement on this one.

The Theory of Evolution is the explanation of how evolution happens. "Theory" is the highest status possible for an explanation of this kind. It means that the explanation is supported by a wide body of evidence and has held up under experimantal scrutiny. the theory of evolution is probably the most widely supported theory in all of modern science.

As a comparison, the explanation of gravity is also a theory, and one we are much less sure about than the theory of evolution. Despite this, the existence of gravity is still a fact, as the existence of evolution is a fact.

***Intelligent design is another THEORY and is the biblical explanation.

Intelligent design is not a theory, since it has no evidentiary basis. Intelligent design isn't even a hypothesis. It fails to meet even the most basic criteria for being science.