adventurechick

What did I do

to make this happen? When I looked up at my parachute after it opened, my pilot chute was tangled in my lines. I was still able to turn right, left, and flare, so I didn't chop. What could have caused my pilot chute to get tangled in my lines though?

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

was it over the front nose, or around some other lines? In any case, you probably did nothing that puts any blame on you.

With today's throw-out pilot chutes this problem happens far less, and will less harsh consequences, than it did in the past with spring-loaded pilot chutes.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

With today's throw-out pilot chutes this problem happens far less, and will less harsh consequences, than it did in the past with spring-loaded pilot chutes.

Agreed. We're still using spring loaded PC's for AFF and it's something I've seen regularly, if not often. With colapasble throw-out PC's consequence is usually low unless the bridle is tensioned prior to full inflation of the canopy.

Bottom line is the (full) control check. If the canopy passes, stick with it. If not - away you go.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

to make this happen? When I looked up at my parachute after it opened, my pilot chute was tangled in my lines. I was still able to turn right, left, and flare, so I didn't chop. What could have caused my pilot chute to get tangled in my lines though?

I'll weigh in with a "me too"... strange openning with the PC flopping around, and it can happen (either around the A's or brake lines.) A freind still jumps with a spring loaded PC (>35 years and wont change) and he seems more suseptable to it.

As others say: check it, then decide to keep/chop.

Avoidance: same as any strange/hard openning issue... pack carefully & deploy stable and it will happen less frequently.

First time I had this I became aware of it after deploying my flag, and overtop of a hiway during a demo jump... oops. (kept it and landed "in" just fine).

Blue ones and keep questioning things!

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I've had it happen on my sport rig a few times over the years. More than a few times on tandems over the years as well. Its not a big deal unless it effects the controlability of the canopy. I do tend to not do many hard turns or similar when it happens (I also don't swoop under my sport canopy when it happens).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The same thing happened to me today...collapsable pilot shoot was caught around my brake lines. It spooked me for a sec but it was completley controllable so all was good.

Alas I spent too long staring at the canopy instead of heading back to the DZ and ended up landing off :$

According to an instructor, if the canopy is rocking on opening it can give the hackey momentum & throw it to where it shoudn't be. Not sure if this was a factor here but it's interesting all the same.

Do you think the weight of the PC handle would have any effect on the frequency of it happening? I can sort of see how a heavier handle may make it happen more often.

Hmm to be honest I haven't a clue! It's possible I guess but I don't know enough about the technical aspects of gear or physics-related stuff to know!

happened to me about 5 times in 18 jumps with a spring loaded pilot chute during raps, never a problem cos it always sat right down the middle, except one time when it was off to the right and caused a slight turn but on a big old 288 manta it was no problem and landed just fine, i just adjusted my flare.

I had the PC "disappear" one time after purposly inducing a stall on an old PD230.

It was behind me as usual before I stalled, but after I reinflated the canopy after the stall, I couldn't find the PC. It wasn't behind the canopy, and it wasn't over the nose. After landing I found it INSIDE the D bag, wadded up.

Bottom line, PCs can do weird stuff when opening.

MB 3528, RB 1182