bodypilot90

President Bush commutes the sentences of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean

After the shooting the officers disposed of their shell casings, made no further attempt to apprehend the suspect, lied to their supervisors, and filed a false investigative report

That's why they should go to jail. Just because the perpertrator (Davila) is demonstrably guilty and an alien to boot doesn't make not following the laws of procedure OK.

Had they taken their lumps and not tried to make stuff up, they would have had a much better leg to stand on.

The vast majority of us come from immigrants. They are generally the people with enough gumption to leave unsatisfactory circumstances and try to improve them. That includes people from Mexico.

Doesn't mean we should just open the borders and have a free-for-all, but they're also not the automatic enemy. Any more than the Irish, Poles, Italians, Chinese, or Vietnamese were.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i wanted to see who thought they should have been pardoned. Do you think they should have been in jail? I don't.

Given what Wendy cited and wrote, why do you [any of you] think they should not have been in jail?

***After the shooting the officers disposed of their shell casings, made no further attempt to apprehend the suspect, lied to their supervisors, and filed a false investigative report

That's why they should go to jail. Just because the perpertrator (Davila) is demonstrably guilty and an alien to boot doesn't make not following the laws of procedure OK.

Had they taken their lumps and not tried to make stuff up, they would have had a much better leg to stand on.

Do any of you want law enforcement officers that act outside the law?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I agree with the commutations. I hadn't realized that they'd tried to cover their own asses the first time the story broke. I didn't read about it thoroughly enough. Pardoned would not be the right response.

Illegal aliens is a sticky point. I guess it depends on the point of view. The American Indians back in the 1600's and so forth would probably tell you that our ancestors were illegal aliens.

My viewpoint is that while yes, the treatment the Indians received over hundreds of years was unfortunate, we are here now.

We owe it to our children to set reasonable immigration laws to prevent an over-abundance of these Mexicans from crossing the borders illegally, because we as legal taxpayers, end up paying for their medical care and whatnot.

So, build that damn wall all the fucking way across the border from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean! Make them bastards get in the proper way. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We owe it to our children to set reasonable immigration laws to prevent an over-abundance of these Mexicans from crossing the borders illegally, because we as legal taxpayers, end up paying for their medical care and whatnot.

What disparities exist between how your ancestors immigrated to the US, and how someone might immigrate to the US today? Differences in approval time, required documentation, required languages? Does that matter, or is it a "so what, that's them, not me"?

What percentage of social services are spent on illegal immigrants? I ask because I'm interested in seeing some actual numbers, I haven't looked! (but I suspect they're lower than many make them out to be)

Illegal aliens is a sticky point. I guess it depends on the point of view. The American Indians back in the 1600's and so forth would probably tell you that our ancestors were illegal aliens.

My viewpoint is that while yes, the treatment the Indians received over hundreds of years was unfortunate, we are here now.

Something tells me, you would not agree with 'finders keepers' if someone were to do that with your rig on the DZ. ;)

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

This poll and the opinions of those that support the commutations are pretty scary.

The very same folks who hold themselves out to be true believers in "Truth, Justice, and the American Way", jump right on the bandwagon for the commutation of LEO's who have been PROVEN to have lied, cheated, and stolen, on the job.

It doesn't matter if the perp was guilty or innocent. The LEOs have to follow the law and must be held to an absolute standard while enforcing the law. They can't be allowed to pick and choose which laws they follow, and which they don't. Especially on the job.

These guys were tried, convicted and sentenced in a court of law. When it comes to the scumbags of the world, you folks are 100% on the side of the courts. When it comes to LEOs in the same situation as the scumbags, all of a sudden it is a travesty of justice.

As usual, the stench of hipocracy from the righties is overwhelming...

Based on records from that time, why do you say they should not have been prosecuted? They admitted to stuff that law enforcement officers shouldn't do.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Definitely. Those arrests were a disgrace from the very beginning.

So agents who break the law aren't a disgrace, but arresting them for it is? Got it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

They should be punished, not pardoned, for tampering with evidence and lying about what they did.

They weren't pardoned. Part of the sentences were commuted. There is a big difference.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They should have been pardoned for shooting the drug dealer, and had they done only that, they should have gotten off with a commendation instead of a trial.

They should have been convicted for tampering with evidence, obstructing justice and lying about their actions. And they were.

If you shoot a thief in your house, you shouldn't be arrested for it. If you shoot a thief who was also a serial killer, you should get at least kudos in your local paper, if not a commendation. If you kill the thief, hide the body, lie to the cops who come by to ask what happened and bribe your neighbors to keep quiet - you'll be talking to a judge, not a reporter.

So agents who break the law aren't a disgrace, but arresting them for it is? Got it.

You're right. I felt much safer with those false report filers in jail and a dangerous drug smuggler given full immunity for testifying against them. Thanks for clearing that up! ;)

You're right. I felt much safer with those false report filers in jail and a dangerous drug smuggler given full immunity for testifying against them. Thanks for clearing that up! ;)

Hey, if you're cool with cops shooting people in the back and covering it up, more power to ya. Personally, I've met too many dumb and/or bully cops to think they should be afforded that kind of power. Then again, I don't really give a shit whether people smuggle drugs.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

IMO they should have been disciplined for filing false reports and tampering with evidence. I do not think that deserves a 10 or 12 year sentence. The gross miscarriage of justice happened when the case was prosecuted. The punishment did not fit the crime. I think there should be a hunting season for drug dealers:D

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Hey, if you're cool with cops shooting people in the back and covering it up, more power to ya. Personally, I've met too many dumb and/or bully cops to think they should be afforded that kind of power. Then again, I don't really give a shit whether people smuggle drugs.

Yeah, me neither. Who cares that the smugglers subsidize some of the most violent gangs in the world? Who cares that they have reduced the border towns to centers of murder and kidnapping? Pass the bong, dude!

Yeah, me neither. Who cares that the smugglers subsidize some of the most violent gangs in the world? Who cares that they have reduced the border towns to centers of murder and kidnapping? Pass the bong, dude!

Who cares that the "War on Drugs" has done nothing to reduce the DEMAND for the illegal drugs, while making the PROFITS available astronomical?
Who cares that the money to be made in drug smuggling has created and sustained "the most violent gangs in the world"? The WOD has been proven to be completely unsuccessful. Drugs are readily available to those that want them, and they are of greater potency than than they used to be.

In theory, the lessons learned between 1919 and 1933 would have prevented the WOD, or at least modified the tactics. In practice, we (the collective US population) are too stupid to apply the lessons of history to current times, for the most part.

Take away the extreme profits, and the crime goes away. It isn't exactly rocket science. At some point, legalization, taxation, and controlled access becomes a logical alternative to what is happening now. Some of the more enlightened European countries have had some success with alternative ways of dealing with the problem.

Progessive thinking = Try to figure out a way to solve the problem.

Conservative thinking = Enforce the laws as written. Let the LEOs handle the problem any way they see fit. Don't question authority in any way.

If I had a bong, I'd care whether people smuggled drugs, but as I said, I don't. There are also quite violent cops, and cops who help support really bad people, and in either case (bad cops or drug smugglers), the law should be followed. Personally, I consider criminals who are also cops to be more offensive and dangerous than criminals who are also illegal immigrants, mostly because the former has access to the public trust which they can then abuse. I'd prefer having no cops to having cops with no respect for the law they are entrusted to uphold. Obviously your opinion differs.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)