Skyrad

Cry God for England, St George and Prince Harry?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090112/wl_afp/britainroyalsracism_newsmlmmd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh65RNQ7S3g&feature=related

Harry strikes again, making me wonder just how well GW Bush knew Princess Di! He sure as hell takes after his Grandad though! :D Racist? I don't think so, not very media savvie definatly.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The royal spokesman said: "Prince Harry used the term 'raghead' to mean Taliban or Iraqi insurgent."

This is my favorite. Like if you call an African American killer Niger its ok but if it’s a nice African American it would be racist. :D what fucked up logic.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

That's a beautiful way to put it, if the term "raghead" is seen as similar to the term "nigger."

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Its bloody ridiculous. Everywhere I went in the military I was referred to daily as "Paddy". Not to mention the myriad jokes regarding the liklihood of me carrying a lump of semtex under my flying suit. Once I met a Wing Commander who upon learning that I was Irish asked how much it would cost for me to tarmac his drive.

Not once did I take offence or consider that any of these people had any genuine bad feeling towards me or my countrymen.

I doubt very much that the cadet who was the butt of Harry's joke takes any offence either. The comment doesn't concern anyone other than the person at whom it was directed. The rest of the world should grow up and stop whinging about something which is none of their business.

Like if you call an African American killer Niger

Why would you call someone the name of a country in Central Africa? ;)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I agree with you, I just love it when they try to make it seem like it was something else or make stupid excuses. .

The reality is if we had cameras recording every thing we say I bet we all say some fucked up shit some times, and a lot of times its just to be funny.

Like if you call an African American killer Niger

Why would you call someone the name of a country in Central Africa? ;)

You know I spelled it with two Gs but the spell check corrected it either way screw you guys I am going home.:D

DUDE.. its just more of the same. I have worked for Microsoft in the past and I can assure you there are people from literally every country imaginable on the campus in Redmond.. and many thousands more on the network daily.

One of my former bosses used to refer to himself as Pacman... and continually make fun of himself in self deprecating humor. Everyone on the shift would take the piss since we had blacks.. women... an indian... as well as a couple whitebread types. The ability of people to get along and work together towards a common goal is far more important than to get all butt hurt over something like this.... its up to the individuals to let the others know when the line is being approached.. or crossed.

I doubt very much that the cadet who was the butt of Harry's joke takes any offence either.

Actually, I read today that the Paki .. uh, -stani's father refuses to accept H's apology till The Little Prince apologiZes to the Pakistani government in Islamabad.

I'm ex-military and so know that life in the mob is soooo different from civvie street. Civvies just would not understand half of what goes on in the forces so trying to describe military culture in civilian terms is just plain crazy.

Black, Asian, Irish, Welsh, Fat, thin, short, tall - every fucker gets the piss taken out them... in and of its self it's not (generally) malicious/racist/etc..

He's a silly little boy and should know better but the forces are full of silly little boys, who will pretty much all grow up O.K in time - The press, on the other hand - is full of wankers and they will always be wankers.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I doubt very much that the cadet who was the butt of Harry's joke takes any offence either.

Actually, I read today that the Paki .. uh, -stani's father refuses to accept H's apology till The Little Prince apologiZes to the Pakistani government in Islamabad.

Why should he apologiSe Andy8o9?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

The royal spokesman said: "Prince Harry used the term 'raghead' to mean Taliban or Iraqi insurgent."

This is my favorite.Like if you call an African American killer Niger its ok but if it’s a nice African American it would be racist. :D what fucked up logic.

Most black guys that I know if you called them that, you better be one,
be strapped or be very fast:o:o
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I'm ex-military and so know that life in the mob is soooo different from civvie street. Civvies just would not understand half of what goes on in the forces so trying to describe military culture in civilian terms is just plain crazy.

Black, Asian, Irish, Welsh, Fat, thin, short, tall - every fucker gets the piss taken out them... in and of its self it's not (generally) malicious/racist/etc..

He's a silly little boy and should know better but the forces are full of silly little boys, who will pretty much all grow up O.K in time - The press, on the other hand - is full of wankers and they will always be wankers.

Ditto, and I couldn't agree more.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I like Harry because he's normal. Neither of the Princes had to join the military but they chose to (as we are led to believe anyway).

Yeah he goes out and gets drunk *shock horror*

He said some things which were inappropriate for him to say as a figurehead of our country.... but as a member of the armed forces in the comfort of his own peers he can say what he likes.

We do still have FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION in this country after all.

I had to laugh at the outbreak of righteous anger on the front page of the Daily Mail today, about how terribly the poor Pakistani lad has been abused... If it was up to them I doubt he'd even be allowed in the country:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

When I was growing up in Canada, (30-40 years ago), we used 'Paki' daily. It was 'racist' I guess, but has become much more so in later years. My grandmother said nigger like it was nothing. And you know what? She was not racist. She might have been pretty ignorant of those things, but growing up in Newfoundland, I saw maybe 2 black people in my life there. So ignorance was the key, not hatred.

I am not a racist, but I use derogatory terms (sometimes), usually in jokes. but that is it - it is a JOKE, not 'stating the fact that I hate you because of your race, color, whatever'

I find it amusing that we train the military to go kill these people, but then we are offended if we call them names before we kill them.

Ditto, and I couldn't agree more.

In Canada Paki is very derogative, I get the feeling that it is less so in UK. Is it something you merely endure when it happens, or do you think of it a being denuded of pejorative content through use like 'Mick' or 'Jordy?'

No, its just as offensive here in the Uk also. Up north people seem to use it more like Paddy or Mick but it depends on how it is used and said. Down in London it is just plain offensive. However as I think it was Shrops that mentioned in the Forces its a different world. Different culture and different language. Being a bit on the dark side myself I've been called Paki all through my life often by racist idiots sometimes by people who ment nothing by it. When I was in the forces here I would get called it sometimes but only ever as a Mick or Paddy type nickname, the same guys had nicknames like Yorkie, Geordie, Taff and Saffa. They were also the first guys who would stand behind me in a fight.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca