kallend

Who is the most admired man?

Well, the 2nd paragraph of that article causes me to question the validity of the poll.:S

Interesting read, though I also question the validity but for different reasons.
Were those questioned given a list of people to choose from? Or were they allowed to name any person they wished? How were the questions phrased?
I hesitate to put any faith in a poll that shows Bush as being more admired than the Pope (or anyone else for that matter), as well as Hillary at the top 13 out of the last 16 years.
Conversely, I don't find it much of a surprise to see Obama leading the list. That is the one point I feel lends any credibility to the poll.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Well, the 2nd paragraph of that article causes me to question the validity of the poll.:S

LOL. Agreed.

I expect some people like rushmc and mnealtx got surveyed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I hesitate to put any faith in a poll that shows Bush as being more admired than the Pope

The last one, sure - but the current fruit loop?

Hmmm...well, you may have a point there.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

LOL. Agreed.

LOL

Maybe, but I am not telling.

In any event. Lets give him a couple of months in office. You know, after the point he has to concentrate more on the job and less on continued campaining. Then, lets redo the poll.

(disclaimer, would/will be the same for any incoming pres)

I would be more interested in the swing of his left supporters. Seems he is not making them too happy these days. Dont get me wrong, I am ok with that
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

LOL. Agreed.

We all might also want to remember this as well.

What the media creates, the media can tear asunder.

I will wait for a built record, not a wished for one.
Abraham Lincoln

Given that GWB has been number one for 7 years and is now replaced by Obama I strongly suspect that next years poll will have Obama at one again. What this could be considered to show is that Americans, when polled on who they admire most, are likely to go for their President or First Lady, which shows a level of patriotism that is both admirable and scary...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Given that GWB has been number one for 7 years and is now replaced by Obama I strongly suspect that next years poll will have Obama at one again. What this could be considered to show is that Americans, when polled on who they admire most, are likely to go for their President or First Lady, which shows a level of patriotism that is both admirable and scary...

Interesting perspective

Abraham Lincoln

LOL. Agreed.

Yeah, because showing the Dems are just as big a bunch of fucktards as they claim the Reps are automatically translates into "ZOMG Bush is the bestest President EVAR!!!!!1!11"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

A reasonable point. We should score it like they do in the Olympics: Step #1 is to throw out the high and the low scores.

which shows a level of patriotism that is both admirable and scary...

To me it's mostly just scary. I WISH I could believe it is based on patriotism, instead what I suspect is the true cause ... mindlessness. This is made especially evident in the women's list. 11% for Palin? What exactly do they admire about her ... ability to smile while showing her lack of knowledge about issues you'd think any person who follows the news would know, must less a VEEP candidate?? And the one person on the list who really deserves a decent ranking (Condi) being so low? The men's list surely isn't any better! I wouldn't put anyone on that list in my top 5. Looks to me more like a junior high election - strictly a name recognition/popularity contest. If that poll is much of an indication of how most people in the US determine who they admire, then yes, I'm scared!!!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

What this could be considered to show is that Americans, when polled on who they admire most, are likely to go for their President or First Lady, which shows a level of patriotism that is both admirable and scary...

Or could it be that most of us have become mindless sheep that repeat the name that we hear most often on television?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

>Were those questioned given a list of people to choose from?

Nope. As there were 37 people on the list published by Gallup (excluding friends and relatives named by the respondents) it would have been tough to do a multiple choice!

>How were the questions phrased?

"What man that you have heard about or read about, living today in any part of the world, do you admire most? And who is your second choice?"

>I hesitate to put any faith in a poll that shows Bush as being more admired
>than the Pope . . .

Ratzinger (Benedict XVI) doesn't have much of a track record yet, so that doesn't surprise me.

Given the education level of the average American, it doesn't surprise me.

:S

Best post(reply) of the thread!!:D
Abraham Lincoln

Gracias, amigo!

I'll probably get called an elitist for it.

Please, those who do so, remember to include 'short' and/or 'sexy' in front of 'elitist' so my tender feelings aren't hurt.

:D

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Naah. The GOP has adopted that particular denigration for people who support Obama. I have no doubt, though, that you will soon be labeling the very people you call uneducated "elitist".

And then there are others who when kicked in the balls do not even realize it