Gawain

Chrysler to Shut Down All 30 Plants for One Month

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468966,00.html

The first of the big three steps up with tough decisions. I hate it, but they have to do it, and it should send a message.

Don't behave like an employee. If you work for this company, act like you own it and get super creative with cutting costs. If you want to keep working there act like you run the place and take nothing for granted.

If you work in one of those plants, take nothing for granted...find some other work, find out what other avenues may be available to train for other types of jobs...

If you're near retirement, maybe you can retire early? Enjoy the break if you can...

:|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Let me play devil's advocate here;
80% of Chrysler is owned by Cerebrus, a $24B dollar private investment firm, which would rather beg for taxpayer money, and shutdown the business for a month to scare the public (and elected officials), rather than inject it's own money into the business.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The government should not be lifting a finger to help other than to ease regulation or provide a loan. At most, an appropriation bill to buy some new vehicles for the federal/military G-car-fleet, at least, lift some of the federal burdens for a few years and gradually reinstate them as needed.
Make light!

Or...... someone in Hollywood could bring back the TV show "The Dukes Of Hazzard". I think they kept Dodge/Chrysler in business for a few years.

I really don't know where I stand on this issue, I've got friends and relatives who have lost jobs or are about to because of the domino effect.

I can't see any good coming out of a bail out, a stringent loan, maybe.

To quote Pogo, "We have met the enemy, and he is us".
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Actually, I think they could shut all three of them down for a month the first day of deer season and the factory workers would consider it a gift.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Or...... someone in Hollywood could bring back the TV show "The Dukes Of Hazzard". I think they kept Dodge/Chrysler in business for a few years.

I really don't know where I stand on this issue, I've got friends and relatives who have lost jobs or are about to because of the domino effect.

I can't see any good coming out of a bail out, a stringent loan, maybe.

To quote Pogo, "We have met the enemy, and he is us".

Yeah. The god ole days> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mopar_6Pack.jpg
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468966,00.html

The first of the big three steps up with tough decisions. I hate it, but they have to do it, and it should send a message.

Don't behave like an employee. If you work for this company, act like you own it and get super creative with cutting costs. If you want to keep working there act like you run the place and take nothing for granted.

If you work in one of those plants, take nothing for granted...find some other work, find out what other avenues may be available to train for other types of jobs...

If you're near retirement, maybe you can retire early? Enjoy the break if you can...

:|

The unions are a big part of the problem. During this shutdown, everyone will still be payed, and paid more than the Americans making Toyotas in America.

Mark Klingelhoefer

IIRC, at the start of that show, they bought an entire fleet of the same car for the "General Lee" car. I think they destroyed an average of two cars per episode :ph34r: Then there were all the cop cars ...
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

IIRC, at the start of that show, they bought an entire fleet of the same car for the "General Lee" car. I think they destroyed an average of two cars per episode :ph34r: Then there were all the cop cars ...

And they drove up the price for 68-69 Chargers quite a bit by signifigantly reducing the supply
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Let me play devil's advocate here;
80% of Chrysler is owned by Cerebrus, a $24B dollar private investment firm, which would rather beg for taxpayer money, and shutdown the business for a month to scare the public (and elected officials), rather than inject it's own money into the business.

AY-FUCKING-MEN! (that's an agnostic AMEN)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I think you need to review that statement.

Why?

Are saying that statement is false? If so, how 'bout a link that says otherwise?
From what I've read they will getting paid, not layed off. That's what unions are for. Take care of the hardworking little guy. Flame away. ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Hey, guys? Instead of arguing about it, how about looking it up?

Oh, wait, I did.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/18/autos/chrysler_shutdown/index.htm

From the article:

So, by Jan. 19, Chrysler's inventory levels will be back where they started at the beginning of this month. But the automaker will have saved substantial money by not powering all those factories, not paying 46,000 workers their full hourly wages and not buying parts to build vehicles that will sit in storage.

... ... ... ... ... ...

During the additional two weeks of shutdown, assembly line workers will be paid through a combination of state unemployment benefits and Chrysler contributions, but they will not receive the full amount of their working pay, a Chrysler spokesman said.

Make light!