labrys

Should gays be allowed to marry? This isn't the standard poll, honest.

Seriously.... all the prop 8 stuff is making my head spin.

I'm gay (lesbian) but I got married (to a man) when I was young. Was that or should have that been against the law?

I know several women and men who have married and both parties have been "gay".

Question to the folks who insist that marriage be reserved for one man and one woman then...

Is it okay for two queers to marry if their genders are different?

Mods... no offense intended at the use of the word "queers". It's a common enough word amongst us....
Owned by Remi #?

No legal prohibition, though setting up a double marriage with two gay men doesn't quite get you what you're looking for in terms of rights and tax benefits.

But I'm sure LDS would be horrified if it became a common strategy. And in the overall, it would probably hurt the slow growing acceptance of gay marriage, rather than make a point.

No legal prohibition, though setting up a double marriage with two gay men doesn't quite get you what you're looking for in terms of rights and tax benefits.

You're dead on right there. What's making my head spin is this:

The DOMA folks insist that marriage should be reserved for one man and one woman. I know 3 couples who meet that oh so biblical requirement but both members of the couple are homosexual.

Those marriages don't forward the rights of same sex couples who wish to marry and want the same rights given heterosexual couples, granted....

But they are "gay" marriages.

Riddle me the difference?
Owned by Remi #?

[option] " 2 Gay people should be allowed to marry as long as they are man and woman "

??
Are you aware of any existing laws anywhere in the US where simply being a homosexual is a bar to entering into a heterosexual marriage? (I'm not about to do a 53-jurisdiction survey...)

But I'm sure LDS would be horrified if it became a common strategy. And in the overall, it would probably hurt the slow growing acceptance of gay marriage, rather than make a point.

I'm going to expand on this a little:

I have two close friends who are both about as gay as you can imagine... but not so much notice on the surface. They married not long after graduating from Annapolis. Him continuing on the become an aviator in the US Navy (Hornet pilot) amd her going on to commit most of her career in the USMC working to make joint CSAR a reality.

They used both the tax benefits they realized as "married" to help afford their real, homosexual relationships and to afford raising the children they had (yeah folks... being gay does not make you sterile)

Do these two people deserve to be marginalized?

Are they stealing your tax dollars?

They are two decorated veterans, a man and a woman, who have deceived you. Should they be punished?

Jeez.....
Owned by Remi #?

Are you aware of any existing laws anywhere in the US where simply being a homosexual is a bar to entering into a heterosexual marriage?

My point is that being homosexual means that you can't have a heterosexual marriage.
Owned by Remi #?

I have two close friends who are both about as gay as you can imagine... but not so much notice on the surface. They married not long after graduating from Annapolis. Him continuing on the become an aviator in the US Navy (Hornet pilot) amd her going on to commit most of her career in the USMC working to make joint CSAR a reality.

They used both the tax benefits they realized as "married" to help afford their real, homosexual relationships and to afford raising the children they had (yeah folks... being gay does not make you sterile)

They are two decorated veterans, a man and a woman, who have deceived you. Should they be punished?

Jeez.....

Ah ha, well, the law isn't bullet proof and the loophole your friends found is certainly evidence of just that: a loophole. But is it really a loophole solely because they didn't marry "in good faith?" Straight couples do this all the time, the typical outcome of such a marriage is called divorce. If you don't want people jumping through hoops and evading the law, change the damn law. Marriage (not matrimony) is a legal financial agreement. Period. Religious beliefs aside, if two people want to get married, I say the more power to them regardless of their sexual preference. All it is is a piece of paper which grants you certain privileges and tax breaks as a couple. Church and state do not mix, end of story. I say keep religious ideals where they belong: in the church, not on the house or senate floor.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I'm not biased against gay people, my stance is for a whole different reason. For a long time everyone has been trying to completely kick religion out of government, so I strongly believe we also need to keep government out of church.

Marriage is between a man and woman in the eyes of god and recognized by the government. I highly disagree with the government telling the church what to do. It's like the civil liberties union wants to have their cake and eat it too.

Now on the flip side of that, I am for gay couples having the opportunities to be just as miserable as us straight people. I like allowing civil unions just like in Europe. Giving all the same rights to gay couples as married couples. They can go thru all the divorce proceedings and split up assets, along with receive tax breaks and insure their life partner and all that good stuff just like everyone else.

The only thing I would like to see happen for all of this civil union stuff is that if a gay couple have a child together and split up, that the non-custodial parent pay child support, and not go after the sperm donor or however the child was acquired. I think that is fair. All the benefits, all the pit falls.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

This country was founded on the freedom to choose.

Many Gay couples, their partners get kicked out of their homes when the other dies-that is fucked up.

The country was not founded on biblical principal, in was founded on freedom of choice-choice of religion, choice of marriage partner, choice to be Democrats, republicans, independents, choice of color of marriage partner and on down the line.

Let these people marry. Its not our choice it is their choice. They are going to be together anyway.

for anyone who is homophobic-Get over it already sheez!
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

Seriously.... all the prop 8 stuff is making my head spin.

I'm gay (lesbian) but I got married (to a man) when I was young. Was that or should have that been against the law?

I know several women and men who have married and both parties have been "gay".

Question to the folks who insist that marriage be reserved for one man and one woman then...

Mods... no offense intended at the use of the word "queers". It's a common enough word amongst us....

Prop 8's unfortunate victory is IMO partially due to Civil Unions. God-fearing-but-fair-minded folk were persuaded that gays should be happy with Civil Unions and didn't need to be called "married". And... I hate to say it, because someone will misunderstand and call me names... but Prop 8's passage is also partially due (apparently) to the religious convictions of the black community.

Which is kind of Ironic. I have LOTS of gay friends, I frequent Austin's gay bars because that's were most of the people I love hang out (I'm straight). ALL OF THEM (except one) voted for Obama. and 70% of blacks, give or take, voted FOR Prop 8.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1

I'm not trying make Obama's election (or Prop 8's unfortunate victory) a race issue. We've been there and done that. But I do find the numbers interesting.
Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes possibles.

I am for gay couples having the opportunities to be just as miserable as us straight people. I like allowing civil unions just like in Europe. Giving all the same rights to gay couples as married couples. They can go thru all the divorce proceedings and split up assets, along with receive tax breaks and insure their life partner and all that good stuff just like everyone else.

The only thing I would like to see happen for all of this civil union stuff is that if a gay couple have a child together and split up, that the non-custodial parent pay child support, and not go after the sperm donor or however the child was acquired. I think that is fair. All the benefits, all the pit falls.

Labrys: What he said is that fair to you?

I don't believe in any marriage so that is why i am asking? Is the rights enough or does it have to be in a church or called holy matrimony?

I respect the church following there rules they should not be forced to hold ceremonies that go against their belief's. I am also 100% for gays and lesbians to have the same rights.

( i understand your not the spokes person for all gays and lesbians just want you opinion, Thank you)
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Are you aware of any existing laws anywhere in the US where simply being a homosexual is a bar to entering into a heterosexual marriage?

My point is that being homosexual means that you can't have a heterosexual marriage.

Well, we could nitpick over the definition of marriage, but I don't think either one of us really cares about the semantics.

Jeez.....

this happens all the time in the military. i'm not sure they're deceiving us though. when i got married, my wife and i were never asked if we are gay or straight, if we loved each other, or anything else about our relationship. i'm guessing its the same for most other marriages. are there any laws stating for what reasons people may marry?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

***if two people want to get married, I say the more power to them regardless of their sexual preference. All it is is a piece of paper which grants you certain privileges and tax breaks as a couple. Church and state do not mix, end of story. I say keep religious ideals where they belong: in the church, not on the house or senate floor.

I totally agree! I strongly believe in the freedom of choice. If two people gay or straight want to get married, let em! I just don't understand why it's such a big deal? How is their marriage affecting other people?

Jeez.....

If they were carrying on relationships outside of their marriage then they should be punished for adultery under military law.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Labrys: What he said is that fair to you?

Yes, it is fair. I agree with every bit of it. IMO, the gay rights activists who assert that they want "marriage" are making a big mistake. As long as the government refers only to civil unions and not marriage my own opinion is that would be very fair.

I don't believe in any marriage so that is why i am asking? Is the rights enough or does it have to be in a church or called holy matrimony?

If the government got out of the "marriage" business, this wouldn't matter. There are and would be churches willing to marry gays and the government and other churches would have no say in the matter. Gays who wanted to "marry" could go to a willing church. No problem exists.

I respect the church following there rules they should not be forced to hold ceremonies that go against their belief's. I am also 100% for gays and lesbians to have the same rights.

I also agree with this.
Owned by Remi #?

If they were carrying on relationships outside of their marriage then they should be punished for adultery under military law.

True enough, amongst other UCMJ violations. Do you really believe though, that 2 very highly trained and experienced officers should actually be punished for doing something so harmless?
Owned by Remi #?

Thank you for your answer. We agree. I hope all of my homosexual brothers and sisters get their rights soon. This is America and that should not even be up for debate.

I hope so too.

As you said earlier, though... I don't represent others when I state my opinion. I have gay friends who feel that "marriage" as it currently exists as an institution, custom, and tradition should not be denied to them. I don't agree, but I have to respect their opinions too.
Owned by Remi #?