akarunway

Mini nuke plants

Getting past some physics questions, supply and transport questions, and regulatory export issues there is one major problem with this.

The numbers don't add up. A 25 MWe turbine and heat transfer equipment put the price per kw/hr in an area that doesn't finish.

All that aside it smells a little like cold fusion. I'd be more specific, but I have to go let bigfoot out, he's scratcing at the door.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I'd be more specific, but I have to go let bigfoot out, he's scratcing at the door.

I'm curious to see what he looks like. I have this picture but I think it's pretty outdated...please post one if you have.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

It's a year or two old.

How old is that in Sasquatch years? Anyhow, I'm sure you know this already, but make sure you keep him well-fed, otherwise...

And when he gets old enough for a tandem, please be sure to post video.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

It's a year or two old.

How old is that in Sasquatch years? Anyhow, I'm sure you know this already, but make sure you keep him well-fed, otherwise...

And when he gets old enough for a tandem, please be sure to post video.

The picture is one or two years old.

He's only 108 years old, but that's only 12 in Sasquatch years.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

>A 25 MWe turbine and heat transfer equipment put the price per kw/hr in an
>area that doesn't finish.

Depends on the area. In an area with no other source of power (wellhead in Alaska, outpost in Antarctica) it will be cheaper than diesel, just because diesel is so expensive to get up there.

>All that aside it smells a little like cold fusion.

The reaction's pretty proven. The big question will be marketability.

If there are no moving parts, how is the heat tranferred into electricity? Or does that happen remotely from the concrete unit and is not considered part of the nuclear system? I'm assuming these mini-plants are just steam powered turbines like conventional nuke plants, but have no need for an active control system?

The article didn't provide any technical info.

- Dan G

>If there are no moving parts, how is the heat tranferred into electricity?

There are two parts to the system - the reactor (generates heat) and the power generator. The reactor is a uranium hydride design. Uranium hydrides contain their own moderator (hydrogen) and they dissociate when they get too hot; this stops the reaction. Hence they have no need for the usual control rods that control reactivity.

The entire reactor, including the working fluid pipes, the uranium/zirconium hydride and the containment vessel, is buried. The earth serves as heat sink (when the reactor is not running) and shielding. When the reactor is operating, water is heated there and then used to drive a conventional steam turbine located above it.

The next generation will likely use either thermophotovoltaics or Peltier devices to allow a complete system with no moving parts at all.

> $0.10/w for the life of the unit? for the life of the fuel? Are those the same
>thing? how long is that?

Most likely they're just talking initial captial costs. However, the current Hyperion designs generate about 30MW and cost around $25 million, which puts the cost at just under $1/watt.

Mini nuke plants are by no means a new idea eg the SL series in the 50's.

They're also not just the domain of US researchers eg PBMR's

So why the surprise?:S

xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."