Nightingale

California Ballot Propositions

Fake? Do you think those are people dressed up in cow suits in that video? That is video from a So Cal farm that was cited by the Humane society. Get your head out of your ass and learn about where your food really comes from. Your ignorance is what allows this type of abuse to continue.

This is video that promotes how farm animals should be treated. http://grassfedmeat.net/fleishers_meat_video.htm

Fake? Do you think those are people dressed up in cow suits in that video? That is video from a So Cal farm that was cited by the Humane society.

No. This is a "special request" video, which was DIRECTED and filmed for a specific purpose. They did not even make it look like a hidden cam video. A special interest group paid money for it to get filmed. Do you _really_ expect them to provide you a true picture? Why would they?

At some point in my life I was making such videos for a couple politicians. This made me extremely cynical when something is shown on video, and the people are asked to vote for or against something because of that.

Get your head out of your ass and learn about where your food really comes from. Your ignorance is what allows this type of abuse to continue.

I would accept your position if you personally (or through personal connection) visit those farms and collect the statistics. However if all your information comes from special interest groups, I'd say you're insulting others while having no real knowledge on the subject.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

4 Waiting Period and Parental Notification for Terminating Pregnancy

Yes.

I disagree that there is one insaive surgical procedure allowed without parental consent upon a minor. While I undertstand the grave nature of abortion and I am somewhat torn, at its core it is a medical procedure and should be treated as such in law.

Do you think a girl should be able to take RU-486 without parental consent? Or an elevated birth control pill regimen?

Blues,
Dave

Sadly, yes. Unless we change the laws to raise the age of consent. If the age of consent is lowered to 13, then I've got no issue with the law.

Look - this is an issue that I'm torn on. I have a hard time reconciling my ideals on it. SHould a 14 year old be allowed to get tylenol with codeine without parental consent? How about get married? How about skydiving? How about getting involved in moneymaking ventures? How about a tattoo? A piercing? How about signing up for sports?

These are ALL things that require parental consent because minors have been determined by law to lack sufficient capacity to make these decisions on their own. A parent of guardian is seen as necessary.

And yet, there is ONE THING - just ONE THING - that it is determined, "Hey, we don't care if she's nine. She can get this invasive medical procedure done on demand without parental consent."

I don't like that. Not one bit. "Her judgment can't be trusted with anything. Well, except terminating a pregnancy. It's not like she's trying to get a piercing."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I would accept your position if you personally (or through personal connection) visit those farms and collect the statistics. However if all your information comes from special interest groups, I'd say you're insulting others while having no real knowledge on the subject.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

And yet, there is ONE THING - just ONE THING - that it is determined, "Hey, we don't care if she's nine. She can get this invasive medical procedure done on demand without parental consent."

Well, she can also get pregnant without parental consent.

No I didn't miss that. I'm just not convinced the need is there. They're talking about spending a lot of money a project we don't necessarily need during a time when our state may need a federal bail out.

Yet Vegas would be ok? (no, I don't believe you meant that seriously)

No, it's not spending a lot of money now - it's spending a lot of money over the next decade on badly needed infrastructure. We've been shortchanging that spending for a while now and it's far less non essential then other options on the table.

This train would replace a lot of flights, and a lot of cars. Given our pollution issues, and our legislated desire to lower emissions, it's rather necessary. And upon completion, if successful, would lead quickly to one to go to Vegas, though it too is a corridor that warrants doing one, perhaps over a road expansion. The difference is that a NorCal-SoCal train is essential to the state, whereas one to Vegas is a bit more of a luxury.

Well, she can also get pregnant without parental consent.

And get injured without parental consent. Yet, to irrigate a wound, they need parental consent. A teenager can step on a piece of glass, and to get it removed and the wound debrided it needs parental consent, right?

So there is no difference. Except in one case, a kid can actually get a surgical procedure without parental consent.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

Well, if insults are the only things you could come with to support your position, I'd say it is kinda weak.

Do you have any evidence that the video is a fake? It is common knowledge about how slaughterhouses operate. And it is just cruel how these animals are abused. How aware are you of where your food comes from? Like most, you are terribly removed from your food source. Perhaps YOU should visit these slaughter houses yourself so that you can learn about the atrocities that these animals endure. Is there any wonder that the turnover rate for slaughterhouse workers averages 75%?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3369981;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

And get injured without parental consent. Yet, to irrigate a wound, they need parental consent. A teenager can step on a piece of glass, and to get it removed and the wound debrided it needs parental consent, right?

I don't know. When I was badly injured in a car wreck as a teenager, I think they did quite a bit of stuff to save my life without parental consent. But yeah, I guess it didn't involve a surgical procedure.

And I don't see getting pregnant as being similar to getting injured. But I can understand your opinion on the subject, even though I disagree.

This article nails my fears. I didn't read it until just now.

Not what it's cracked up to be

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that THE REASON INSTITUTE has never come out in favour of a public infrastructure project of any kind. Free market based think tanks never do.
That said the question needs to be asked; if the need is there and the demand will be there after construction, why is the private sector not stepping up?

I don't know. When I was badly injured in a car wreck as a teenager, I think they did quite a bit of stuff to save my life without parental consent. But yeah, I guess it didn't involve a surgical procedure.

When your life is at risk if care is delayed, the rules get loosened. But an abortion can nearly always wait a week. (that would not be true for plan B, of course)

And believe me, I understand your side. It's why I almost am ashamed for my position, because it seems unfeeling.

But it is what it is. I simply cannot tolerate having a single exception.

p.s. - in a car wreck, there is no need for even patient consent because of the emergency nature of the injuries. But abortions are not emergencies, unless they threaten the life of the mother, which is an exception built in to the law.

p.s. - in a car wreck, there is no need for even patient consent because of the emergency nature of the injuries. But abortions are not emergencies, unless they threaten the life of the mother, which is an exception built in to the law.

Yes, I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the car wreck. The main point was that I don't think injuries and pregnancy can be compared to each other; they're just not the same thing.

Maybe I missed something, but do someone really need a train to visit all the cool dropzones we have up here? Won't a car work?

correct me if I'm wrong but a teenager still won't need consent. I believe the proposition is only to provide 48 hour notice to the adult
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

At this point and time isn't it left up to the doctor to notify the parents or not? And why aren't they notifying the parents? Is it because the children don't want their parents to know and the doctors have to honor that?

Is not forcing doctors to notify parents a better alternative to young women sticking coat hangars up their hoohas? And that right there is the key isn't it?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

As an alternative, no.

But that argument is along the same lines as, "Should young girls face possible post-operative complications without the knowledge of the parents?"

Again, I have set that aside in favor of what I personally think is a more important policy - that of consistency.

As for the others, i'm an idealist, plain and simple. I'm voting for the train and energy things because i believe it's the right thing to do, no matter what. Yes on 2, no on 4, yes on 5, yes on 11. I haven't read enough about the others to make a decision yet.

With regards to the "right thing to do", you need to look at whether it's the right thing to do at this time and whether this is the right way to pay for it. Bond measures are very costly in the long run. They're a way to get money now by borrowing against our already very shaky future. Is that the right thing to do?

If you are in favor of a bond measure for construction of whatever, vote for it. It's not like we are ever going to save up and pay cash for it, any more than 99+% of the population is going to pay cash for their house. If it isn't worth the cost, or can reasonably be put off, vote against it.