mamajumps

on the fence on who to vote for?

Pelosi as the Speaker of the House has a 9% approval rating, the worst in history.

Yeah. When I saw that little "talking point" in another thread, I decided to check it out. The 9% approval rating is for Congress as a whole - not just Pelosi, not just the majority leadership, not just the Democrats, but Congress as a whole. And remember, if the Dems pass anything deemed too radical, Bush vetoes it, and the Dems do not have a veto-proof majority.

Yes, the Dems are in the majority, and yes, Pelosi's Speaker of the House. And if they've been ineffectual legislators for the past 2 years, they should answer for it. But please: if you cite a statistic, do so honestly.

Presidential Executive Orders [discussion]

Interesting discussion.
So by your logic, while Bush has been President, the national interest has been better served by the Dems controlling Congress, giving him push-back, than when the Repubs did, and gave him a rubber stamp. Are you admitting that?

Presidential Executive Orders [discussion]

Interesting discussion.
So by your logic, while Bush has been President, the national interest has been better served by the Dems controlling Congress, giving him push-back, than when the Repubs did, and gave him a rubber stamp. Are you admitting that?

I was unaware that EO's come under the purview of Congress.

BTW, counselor - you may wish to actually LOOK at the EO's mentioned - those are JFK's.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You're right, in that by responding quickly, I didn't make clear that I was responding mainly to Mike's concern of Pelosi being a rubber stamp for President Obama.

I've always been very uncomfortable with the Constitutionality (or lack of it, IMO) of many Executive Orders. In the article that Mike quotes (which I found, cuz he neglected to cite it :P), it cites the example of President Andrew Jackson, in refusing to abide by a SCOTUS decision declaring an EO of his to be unconsitutional, saying, "Let the Supreme Court enforce its ruling." Chilling, eh?

Wow. Good thing she's not running for president. Unfortunately for McCain, who votes with Bush 90% of the time, Bush also has the lowest approval ratings in history.

Obama votes with the democrats (Pelosi) 97% of the time, where is the check and balance? And while I agree with you that Bush SUCKS what is worse is the Pelosi and the democratic controlled house has a lower approval rating than Bush! I didn't even think that was possible.:P
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

I understand we all have the right to vote, and we all have the right to freedom of speech, which is what makes America so awesome.... only problem is, if we elect a muslim into office, we will have bigger problems than the economy. I simply don't understand why people (Americans) can't wrap their heads around this.... After all it was those of the Muslim faith that killed so many 7 years ago....

I seriously cant believe that you really buy into that drivel... WTF:S:S:S

I dont think anyone can believe he has a prayer rug and does the Mecca thing.. sheesh:SB|

>And while I agree with you that Bush SUCKS what is worse is the Pelosi and the
>democratic controlled house has a lower approval rating than Bush!

If your implication is true - that people dislike democrats even more than they dislike Bush - then what are you so scared about? Every Senate and House race will go to republicans and McCain will win.

I SUPPORT THE SEPARATION OF LIBERALS FROM GOVERMENT...

Mama, dear --
a. Liberals have just as much right to vote and be a part of government. It's part of what makes America what it is. Conservatives, too.
b. You don't really help your cause by misspelling government.

Wendy W.

Thanks for pointing out my typo, I type very fast and occasionally make mistakes.

I understand we all have the right to vote, and we all have the right to freedom of speech, which is what makes America so awesome.... only problem is, if we elect a muslim into office, we will have bigger problems than the economy. I simply don't understand why people (Americans) can't wrap their heads around this.... After all it was those of the Muslim faith that killed so many 7 years ago....

Somebody's rascist slip is showing.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Wow. Good thing she's not running for president. Unfortunately for McCain, who votes with Bush 90% of the time, Bush also has the lowest approval ratings in history.

Obama votes with the democrats (Pelosi) 97% of the time, where is the check and balance? And while I agree with you that Bush SUCKS what is worse is the Pelosi and the democratic controlled house has a lower approval rating than Bush! I didn't even think that was possible.:P

Congressional approval ratings are almost always lousy. Look at this Gallup poll data. From 1974 to the present, there have been only 3 years when Congressional approval has been above 50%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/107242/congress-approval-rating-ties-lowest-gallup-records.aspx

It's also the case that anytime a President's approval ratings are very low, people tend to paint Congress with the same broad brush.

Gary Jacobson, a political science professor at the University of California-San Diego, said congressional job approval lags 5 to 20 points behind the president's. "When people are unhappy about the state of leadership, they don't differentiate between Congress and the president," he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-07-16-poll-congress_N.htm

I seriously cant believe that you really buy into that drivel... WTF:S:S:S

I dont think anyone can believe he has a prayer rug and does the Mecca thing.. sheesh:SB|

... or that religion disqualifies someone for being President. Wasn't that old tome put to bed in 1960?

... or that religion disqualifies someone for being President. Wasn't that old tome put to bed in 1960?

Obviously not[:/][:/]

And the worst part is all of this is coming from the religious right rePUBICans who have done more to interject religion into our government than ANY other group in the history of our country. They have a VP candidate who is even farther into the religious right than the current Incompetent in Charge.. who took us on his excellent little personal "crusade"
So much for that separation of church and state.

This thread and several others in SC are pointing out a very very serious problem. No wonder our country is in such sad shape..

More people need to go to school to get an education.. not to party:|

So you are saying that if Obama wins, the election will have been stolen?

No, not at all and in fact in this election if anyone will be accused of stealing it I would think it would be McCain because of the "bubba race" vote. I was responding to your statement of "Every Senate and House race will go to republicans and McCain will win." I was showing how voting doesn’t always go with logic.

the whole idea of Pelosi having a rubber stamp just scares the hell out me.

And so I ask again:

Congressional approval ratings are almost always lousy. Look at this Gallup poll data. From 1974 to the present, there have been only 3 years when Congressional approval has been above 50%.

http://www.gallup.com/...-gallup-records.aspx

It's also the case that anytime a President's approval ratings are very low, people tend to paint Congress with the same broad brush.

Thanks Andy, that was informative, educational and enlightening. I wish more people would give responses like that vs. name calling, babbling and personal attacks.

Stay safe and be well

>I was showing how voting doesn’t always go with logic.

Of course. Voting goes with popularity; it's how our system works. And should there be a distinctly democratic bias to people's voting this November, it would contradict your premise that most people disapprove of a democratic congress.

Obviously not[:/][:/]

And the worst part is all of this is coming from the religious right rePUBICans who have done more to interject religion into our government than ANY other group in the history of our country. They have a VP candidate who is even farther into the religious right than the current Incompetent in Charge.. who took us on his excellent little personal "crusade"
So much for that separation of church and state.

This thread and several others in SC are pointing out a very very serious problem. No wonder our country is in such sad shape..

More people need to go to school to get an education.. not to party:|

The separtation of Church and State is what is wrong with America. Had things stayed the way they were intended to stay when the Constitution was written, then we would not be in near the mess we are in now. When you take God out, all you have is bad.
(America was founded by those who believed in God and the Christian faith)

However, this is not where I intended this thread to go. I simply posted a video, that showed proof, that it was not the replublicans who caused our economic mess.:S:S:S:S:S:S

What I am admitting is that I personally like split parties (president/congress) most of the time. I like the check and balance.

mamjumps.... I hate to tell you this but this country was not founded on Christianity! I am a conservative and a Christian but it is not so good to support your ideas with something like that. I personally think God has a hand in everything so we really cannot take Him out but this country was founded my Diests which is a lot different than Christianity.

Mike,

I'm with you on the balance idea. Actually history does show that more gets accomplished for the good of the country when opposing parties control congress and the white house.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I simply posted a video, that showed proof, that it was not the replublicans who caused our economic mess.

I seriously doubt that a music video from youtube shows proof of any such thing. I also seriously doubt that we can point to any one group of people and say, "They caused the economic mess." It's a pretty complicated situation, and there are lots of different people who have played a part in it (probably from all different parties). But if you'd like to post a link to a credible source that explains exactly who (or who did not) cause the economic mess, then I'd be interested in reading it.

The separtation of Church and State is what is wrong with America. Had things stayed the way they were intended to stay when the Constitution was written, then we would not be in near the mess we are in now.

You don't know what you're talking about. The original Contitution was ratified on June 21, 1788. The principle of separation of church and state was initially expressed in the Constitution in the First Amendment, which was ratified on December 15, 1791. I suppose that in the 3 & 1/2 years between the two events, the country just went to hell in a handbasket.