RALFFERS

Gun [Carrying] Laws

I know that in some states, carrying a gun on your person or in a vehicle is illegal (however, there was that 1 supreme court ruling - so I'm not sure where things stand.) However, what about if you're going on long road trips; does anyone know if there are provisions that allow a gun to be loaded and in a vehicle if you're traveling "x" # of miles?

It would seem logical/sensible to [at least] allow the carrying of concealed weapons in some cases - than again - if it was up to me, we'd all be able to carry a firearm at all times...
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I know that in some states, carrying a gun on your person or in a vehicle is illegal (however, there was that 1 supreme court ruling - so I'm not sure where things stand.) However, what about if you're going on long road trips; does anyone know if there are provisions that allow a gun to be loaded and in a vehicle if you're traveling "x" # of miles?

It would seem logical/sensible to [at least] allow the carrying of concealed weapons in some cases - than again - if it was up to me, we'd all be able to carry a firearm at all times...

In Colorado, it's legal to have an accessable loaded weapon in the car "while traveling." Unfortunately, cities with too many bed-wetting liberals don't consider anything to be "while traveling".

Under Federal law, you can only transport unloaded guns in the trun between places where you can legally posess them making only necessary stops (like for gas) along the journey.

State laws, local laws, and local interpretations (Denver) apply as soon as the gun becomes accessable.

I am not surprised (but disappointed) that this is the case. Equally not surprising is the fact that state & federal prosecutors prove their case time & time again by twisting the law anyway they can; however, if you, or I or any other joe shmoe do the same "article *such & such*, & paragraph *such and such*" come out of the woodwork.

Honestly, I could careless what the "law" says... if I feel unsafe, for any reason - there will be a loaded gun in my car. Driving as if not to get pulled over, and staying calm when & if you do works wonders! ;)

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

It varies by State and local municipalities.

For example it is legal to have a hangun in your car in TX even without a CHL. At least that is what I was told by a cop last week when I asked him. He said it was a part of the 'Castle Law' that was just passed.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Honestly, I could careless what the "law" says... if I feel unsafe, for any reason - there will be a loaded gun in my car. Driving as if not to get pulled over, and staying calm when & if you do works wonders! ;)

What Drew Eckhardt said is what I have always understood about the law (based on the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, I believe): "Under Federal law, you can only transport unloaded guns in the trun between places where you can legally posess them making only necessary stops (like for gas) along the journey."

I'm with you, about carrying as though you're gonna be glad you had it even if you get busted for having had it: the only way anyone's gonna know you had it is if you use it to save your life.

Have I gone on long road trips armed, without regard for whether it was legal where I was gonna be? Um... I dunno. :P But I fully see your point.

Here's a case in point: as many times as I have ever been pulled over for speeding, or rolling through stop signs (maybe a dozen times in total over 20 years of driving, and not all got me tickets), I have NEVER been searched on my person, and only one time (in college, when I had not yet become less stupid) did I ever allow a search of the vehicle.

I would say that of the times I've been pulled over, I've been armed at least 75% of them. Never even been ASKED if I was armed...
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

What Drew Eckhardt said is what I have always understood about the law (based on the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, I believe): "Under Federal law, you can only transport unloaded guns in the trun between places where you can legally posess them making only necessary stops (like for gas) along the journey."

I'm with you, about carrying as though you're gonna be glad you had it even if you get busted for having had it: the only way anyone's gonna know you had it is if you use it to save your life.

Have I gone on long road trips armed, without regard for whether it was legal where I was gonna be? Um... I dunno. :P But I fully see your point.

Here's a case in point: as many times as I have ever been pulled over for speeding, or rolling through stop signs (maybe a dozen times in total over 20 years of driving, and not all got me tickets), I have NEVER been searched on my person, and only one time (in college, when I had not yet become less stupid) did I ever allow a search of the vehicle.

I would say that of the times I've been pulled over, I've been armed at least 75% of them. Never even been ASKED if I was armed...

Ah the typical "law abiding gun owner".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Learn the difference between "malum prohibitum" and "malum in se," would you?

In another thread, we were discussing H.D. Thoreau, who wrote "Civil Disobedience." Many consider him quite wise -- statesman-like, if you will.

Tell me what is clearly "wrong" about carrying for one's own protection in places where misguided statutes would have you disarmed to be prey for criminals.

Maybe we can then discuss those "law-abiding abolitionists" who thought nothing of helping escaped slaves to freedom on the Underground Railroad... Such shameful criminals, they! :S
Imaginations on fire

Officer " May I search your vechicle" "Why do you ask? " Or "No you may not. Do you have probable cause" Works wonders in a courtroom.;) Always answer a question w/ a question.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Back again to better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6;)

No one has mentioned reciprocity. i.e. states will honor the CCW of another state:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

It's an IFY road to travel. I just brought back my pistol from Nv. to Ca. Kept the pistol unloaded in one bag and the ammo in another. Up to the cop. Supposed to have a trigger lock and all that crap in Ca. Had a friend pulled here (in Ca.) awhile back. Cop told him as long as he didn't have one chambered it was OK. (he didn't). Fl. pretty much do what you want.

Get a copy of Traveler's Guide to the Firearms laws of the Fifty States @www.gunlawguide.com. or 859 491 6400. It's written by a lawyer and contains a lot of info. I have had a copy for years & get a new one every couple.

The Federal Law that someone alludes to is the McClure-Volkner Ac of 1986. It allows unllicensed carry of weapons thru states where it would otherwise be illegal provided you meet certain storage I requirements and may legally possesss that firearm in the state you are leaving and the state of destination. You can stop for gas, food. Don't stop to visit Uncle Harry cause now yur in the shits if you get caught. This law is also addresed in the book. I am a retired cop who travels a lot. I have a couple of permits that are honored in several other states, but I check the book from time to time.

be careful with 'castle law' aka Castle Domain... in your house it is great.. cars... not always considered a "domain"...

Well, I don't carry a gun anyway. I just asked to see how I could transport the gun to the range. I put it in the trunk normally. I just wondered if I had to have it unloaded, or the mag out..ect. He is a cop, and others have told me the same thing.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Had a friend pulled here (in Ca.) awhile back. Cop told him as long as he didn't have one chambered it was OK. (he didn't).

Huh?

"As long as he didn't have one chambered it was OK"?
With the cop, or with the law? :S

That makes no friggin' sense, and I'd wager the law does not distinguish between having the gun with or without a round chambered. Besides, would they write a separate section of the law to address revolvers?

Most of us know that there are a lot of cops out there who will talk out their asses about laws they actually don't understand sufficiently. >:( And people get bad advice out of them.
Imaginations on fire

Had a friend pulled here (in Ca.) awhile back. Cop told him as long as he didn't have one chambered it was OK. (he didn't).

Huh?

"As long as he didn't have one chambered it was OK"?
With the cop, or with the law? :S

That makes no friggin' sense, and I'd wager the law does not distinguish between having the gun with or without a round chambered. Besides, would they write a separate section of the law to address revolvers?

Most of us know that there are a lot of cops out there who will talk out their asses about laws they actually don't understand sufficiently. >:( And people get bad advice out of them.
Well. He's lived in the area most his life. Agains't Ca. law I'm sure. BUT. When ya live up in the mountains and hang out at the VFW. I guess you get some slack cut. Just make sure you buy the local cops beer.. ;)

I just asked to see how I could transport the gun to the range. I put it in the trunk normally. I just wondered if I had to have it unloaded, or the mag out..ect. He is a cop, and others have told me the same thing.

Well, you don't want to walk onto the range with a loaded gun, so just empty it before you load up your car to go there. That way you don't forget, and end up on the firing line during a cease fire with a loaded gun. That's the common-sense gun-safety answer.

As for the legal answer, that depends upon your state laws.

John, the ranges I shoot at are on private land.
You are correct with public ranges.

I would say that the safety rules apply the same either way.

They certainly do at the private gun club to which I belong. It's just more self-policed rather than having a range master control it.

So you support the idea of a guy carrying a weapon loaded almost anywhere (CHL)....But are afraid of a guy carrying a loaded weapon from his car to a firing line?????

So you support the idea of a guy carrying a weapon loaded almost anywhere (CHL)....But are afraid of a guy carrying a loaded weapon from his car to a firing line?????

You do understand that a gun in a holster is not considered to be being handled right?

I think that the difference is that a gun carried concealed is left there, no one is fiddling with it and the trigger is not in danger of being pulled. That's not the case with a gun taken from the car to the firing line. There are loads of instances of people having (unsheathed, uncased) guns going off as they are taken out of a car trunk, etc.

A holstered gun is regarded as safe, because most guns will NOT FIRE if they are left alone in a holster and the trigger does not get actuated.
Imaginations on fire

You are aware that most guns will not fire unless the trigger is pulled?

You are then aware that most people with training know better than to handle even an empty weapon with their finger on the trigger.

Your paranoia about a guy carrying a loaded weapon onto a live firing line, yet support of a guy carrying a weapon at all times is funny.

If you don't think a person is smart enough to handle a live weapon....Don't ever let them handle that weapon.

Attitudes like yours are why we avoid public ranges.