pop

Hey Christians

My roommate is a diehard bible Christian. I love him dearly and he is my role model in many ways. He believes that we have been on this planet for 6000 years and walked this planet at the same time as dinosaurs. Anyone else believe this nonsense for which there is zero evidence?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

My roommate is a diehard bible Christian. I love him dearly and he is my role model in many ways. He believes that we have been on this planet for 6000 years and walked this planet at the same time as dinosaurs. Anyone else believe this nonsense for which there is zero evidence?

Just ask him if he ever met chuteless. That might explain a lot.

;)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Remeber that show Growing Pains. Kirk Cameron was in that. He too pomotes this idea that dinasours were around less than 6K years ago. In fact I youtubed this idea and there are plenty of people who believe that. Holy Shit.

Although there may be zero evidence that this happened, there is also zero evidence that it didnt. The Bible goes on about the whole 7 day creation thing, but who's to say what a "day" was in that time? Point being it could be right it could be wrong. Doesnt really matter though does it? I thought the whole foundation of Christianity was that a savior came down and died for the sins of mankind. So what does creation really have to do with anything other than making your head hurt?
Muff #5048

Ask him if he's ever heard of the TK boundary layer and if he knows what iridium is.

Can you please elaborate on this so I can have a semi intelligent conversation with him, b/c I dont know what that is either. Thanks Quade

Please excuse the typo earlier . . . it's KT boundary layer.

Sedimentary rocks are like the rings of a tree. Deposits left by seasonal rains build up in layers and you can tell what happened in the past by looking at those layers in context with what is found above or below them.

The KT boundary is a thin layer of sediment found in layers across the entire planet. The things that are very notable about it are;

1) It's easy to identify because it contains an isotope of iridium that is not really found anywhere else in concentrations anywhere on earth EXCEPT in this very thin layer of sediment.

2) In layers BELOW the KT boundary, you find fossils of dinosaurs.

3) In layers ABOVE the KT boundary, you don't find fossils of dinosaurs.

The KT boundary is pretty much where you want to start when discussing when dinosaurs died off and mammals started taking over the planet.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Please excuse the typo earlier . . . it's KT boundary layer.

Sedimentary rocks are like the rings of a tree. Deposits left by seasonal rains build up in layers and you can tell what happened in the past by looking at those layers in context with what is found above or below them.

The KT boundary is a thin layer of sediment found in layers across the entire planet. The things that are very notable about it are;

1) It's easy to identify because it contains an isotope of iridium that is not really found anywhere else in concentrations anywhere on earth EXCEPT in this very thin layer of sediment.

2) In layers BELOW the KT boundary, you find fossils of dinosaurs.

3) In layers ABOVE the KT boundary, you don't find fossils of dinosaurs.

The KT boundary is pretty much where you want to start when discussing when dinosaurs died off and mammals started taking over the planet.

Here is the deal with these types of Christians. They believe God put all that together in the 7 days of Creation becasue the Bible says so. Meaning these layers were al created in one day. How do you have an intelligent conversation with someone who simply says "but the Bibble says so". Here is the kicker....ke is a scientist for a living, He works in a lab that makes drug tests for the Olympics participants.

Although there may be zero evidence that this happened, there is also zero evidence that it didnt.

Please refer to the KT boundry layer, lol

Here is the deal with these types of Christians. They believe God put all that together in the 7 days of Creation becasue the Bible says so. Meaning these layers were al created in one day. How do you have an intelligent conversation with someone who simply says "but the Bibble says so".

Ask them how long a day was during the creation process. If they say 24hrs then tell them to reference that to scripture in the Bible itself. Then point out how irrelivent the whole thing is in the grand scheme of things.
Muff #5048

One more question about Christianity. The Bible says that unless you accept Jesus in your heart you go to hell. What about the people who live in the jungles of Africa who never in their lives have heard of Christianity or Jesus. Do they go to hell? If so why didn’t Jesus give them the opportunity to learn about him, but rather just punished them?

One more question about Christianity. The Bible says that unless you accept Jesus in your heart you go to hell. What about the people who live in the jungles of Africa who never in their lives have heard of Christianity or Jesus. Do they go to hell? If so why didn’t Jesus give them the opportunity to learn about him, but rather just punished them?

No real idea, but there are 2 popular schools of thought on this matter.

1. That Christians are supposed to go on missions and spread the gospel to them so they can accept Jesus.

2. That God will encompass their religion as well as ours providing them salvation.

Do I really know? No, but it really doesnt concern me or my faith one way or the other so I wont lose sleep over it.
Muff #5048

One more question about Christianity. The Bible says that unless you accept Jesus in your heart you go to hell. What about the people who live in the jungles of Africa who never in their lives have heard of Christianity or Jesus. Do they go to hell? If so why didn’t Jesus give them the opportunity to learn about him, but rather just punished them

As a Christian, one thing I know about God is that He is just and loving. Innocence will not be punished. How things will shake out in the end is anybodys guess. He has promised to never abandon His children and that He has prepared a place for us. My faith is in that promise. As far as Africans accepting Jesus, that is probably a non-issue for you. The question is whether you need a savior? If so, Jesus is that savior. If not , have a nice day.

As far as the earth being 6000 years old, I have never gotten that out of my studies of Genesis, Matthew, or Luke.

You ever seen The Flintstones pal ? Fred used to WORK in a gravel pit on a dinosaur. I should think that should settle the question for all time.....

But seriously folks, christians are like skydivers. some of them are really smart people, who use the brains God gave them the way he intended. And then some Christians are dumb as a sack of hammers (like some skydivers, and you ALL know one who is....).

Just tell him, "Pray for me dude, and do it quietly".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Here is a list of people who believe this...

1. The large fundamentalist element of the US
2. Other people who are stupid

Here is a list of people who don't believe this...

1. Anyone with a brain

Pass on my regards.

what he said.

The sad thing is that there are many Christians who have no problem with science & Evolution, & a 4.5 billion year old Earth, but we get ignored.[:/]

I remember in college (Boston University) I had to write a paper for my Coastal Geology course.

One of the great experts on the geology of New England was, guess what: A Catholic Priest who taught geology at Boston College.

So here you have a guy who is:

1) a devout Christian (he's a frickin' priest!)
2) Has no problem with scientific views about the EArth's origins (he's a geologist & writes about Cambrian rock strata, etc)

Unfortunately, everyone loves to see a fight, so everyone ignores people like this priest & watches the fight between the extremist fundy Christians and the extremist fundy atheists (who are really buying into the same premise about the relationship between religion & science).

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Here is the deal with these types of Christians. They believe God put all that together in the 7 days of Creation becasue the Bible says so. Meaning these layers were al created in one day. How do you have an intelligent conversation with someone who simply says "but the Bibble says so". Here is the kicker....ke is a scientist for a living, He works in a lab that makes drug tests for the Olympics participants.

Well, remind him who actually put pen to paper (or quill to papyrus), divine intervention or not, man is imperfect, even by God's definition, therefore the written word is imperfect. :)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Although there may be zero evidence that this happened, there is also zero evidence that it didnt.

Yeah, there is, there is. It's called Radiocarbon dating. However one defines a "day", the radioactive half-life of certain atoms are as precise as clock-work, at least on grand scales like are involved with extinction of species. Radiocarbon dating shows the earth at much older than 6,000 years. It shows dinosaur bones (most of them) as being much older than homo-sapiens.

It does not disprove the Bible, or God. As a matter of fact, the Bible doesn't say the Earth is 6,000 years old. Nor did God. It was started by an Archbishop, James Ussher, who tried to count backwards from the lives of everyone mentioned in the Bible (so-and-so Beget so-and-so). And even he said the earth was only 4,000 years old. It's since been revised (evolved, you might say) to 6-10K years.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

You ever seen The Flintstones pal ? Fred used to WORK in a gravel pit on a dinosaur. I should think that should settle the question for all time.....

You are right!!! I never thought about that!!!!;)

Anyone else believe this nonsense for which there is zero evidence?

You mean exactly like the "spiritual" bullshit you espouse on here for which there is zero evidence?

Naw.

touche :)