millertime24

WTF is Russia Doing?

They seem to be invading another country for no apparent reason - where have we heard that before.

This does loook crazy

No, it doesn't. They're taking sides in a neighbor's civil war, which happens all the time. In this case, it's in adjacent Georgia, which it used to control (as part of the USSR). Georgia and Russia have been hostile toward each other ever since the break-up of the USSR. So, predictably, Russia is siding with the anti-govt rebel forces in Georgia. The Brits did much the same thing during the US Civil War in the 1860's by siding (tacitly, albeit unofficially) with the Confederacy. And so it goes.

Also, predictably, the US is calling on Russia to halt immediately. Why? Well, while the stated reason, naturally, is to end the violence and promote peace and stability, the real undercurrent (I think) is the residuum (and recent resurgence) of Cold War-style "competition" between the US and Russia.

Back to historical analogy: in the 1860s, Britain and France were still pretty hostile toward one another. In the run-up, to, and early stages of, the US Civil War, the British govt counseled the Union (the US govt) to exercise "restraint", while the French - surprise! - endorsed the US govt's right to preserve the Union. And so it goes.

My co-worker, who apparently saw the CNN headline "Russia invades Georgia!" But didn't bother to actually read the article, just ran through the office yelling about Russia invading the southern US.

Co-worker: Russia just invaded the south! They're in Georgia!

Me: you mean they just invaded the country of Georgia, between Russia and Turkey, right?

Co-worker: Don't be an idiot. Georgia's a state.

Me (having flashbacks to Miss Teen South Carolina and considering purchasing a map for him): Okay. Whatever.

Co-worker (running on his way): Russia's invaded the south!

Wow.

My co-worker, who apparently saw the CNN headline "Russia invades Georgia!" But didn't bother to actually read the article, just ran through the office yelling about Russia invading the southern US.

Me: you mean they just invaded the country of Georgia, between Russia and Turkey, right?

Co-worker: Don't be an idiot. Georgia's a state.

Me (having flashbacks to Miss Teen South Carolina and considering purchasing a map for him): Okay. Whatever.

Co-worker (running on his way): Russia's invaded the south!

Wow.

Don't you have a video cam handy?[:/]

Edited to add: Them thar' Russkies tried that here in CO 20-odd years ago, but we fought 'em off. GO WOLVERINES!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I did like it better when Georgia was merely a parcel of the USSR, as I always think of the state when I see those headlines. Then the brain reads for context and corrects.

And in this case, I don't think it's self centered Americanism - the state of Georgia is a good deal older than the nation of Georgia.

Hmm, I don't think you can compare the two like that. 'State' (as in sovereign nation-state) and 'state' (as in federal) are both just legal definitions, where as I'm sure the former Soviet inhabitants of Georgia would tell you that they have a distinct national identity that long predates the merely legal concepts above.

[Ed. - Ah, I see billvon's beat me to it, and more succinctly too]

the state of Georgia is a good deal older than the nation of Georgia. ***

Nation of Georgia has been around since the 12th century BC. When I was in school there we were taught history up to 800AD. I doubt state of Georgia was around then.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Nation of Georgia has been around since the 12th century BC. When I was in school there we were taught history up to 800AD. I doubt state of Georgia was around then.

The nation of Georgia didn't exist 20 years ago. And then you have to go back to the 1921 when it last was one.

The nation of Georgia didn't exist 20 years ago. And then you have to go back to the 1921 when it last was one.

Whatever you say. If you lived there that's not how you saw it. Even as part of USSR Republic of Georgia still was Republic of Georgia in much the same way New Jersey has always been New Jersey before and after it bacme part of USA.

So, it needs to be a continuous entity then? The the State of Georgia has only been part of the Union since 1870 (after seceded in 1861) thus the state isn't actually all that old then:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The 15 countries that made up USSR were allowed to maintain their heritage and to teach their own history. The onloy thing that changed was that the national language became Russian and Russian histroy had to be aded to the books.

Well ACTUALLLLLY parts of the Semiole tribe have run Georgia since... oh about 12000 years or so....neeneer neener..

http://www.seminoletribe.com/history/

According to the Chrisian bible we havent been around that long, so take that. lol

So, it needs to be a continuous entity then? The the State of Georgia has only been part of the Union since 1870 (after seceded in 1861) thus the state isn't actually all that old then:P

Ok, I can go with that. So 138 years versus 17 years. Still an ass kicking.

Well ACTUALLLLLY parts of the Semiole tribe have run Georgia since... oh about 12000 years or so....neeneer neener..

http://www.seminoletribe.com/history/

According to the Chrisian bible we havent been around that long, so take that. lol

For God's dake don't mention apes or monkeys or we'll never hear the last of it... B|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

They seem to be invading another country for no apparent reason - where have we heard that before.

Ah, but here is a reason. Russia, the Soviet Union, whatever they're calling themselves, has ALWAYS been an expansionist empire. Historically, Russia has always invaded neighbor states like Ukraine, Georgia, the Baltic countries, and Poland. As well as the Islamic camel dung states, like Kazakhstan and the like. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they're doing it again. Under Putin (oh wait - he's just the Prime Minister anymore...), er, Medvedev, they sense the opportunity with this ethnic Russian uprising in the southern Ossetia province.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !