SkyChimp

Iowa Flooding VS. Katrina

The Fed gov did not fail in NO …

Yes they did. Bush even admitted it. He just failed to accept responsibility for the failure as he promised to do.

… the local govs did [fail].

That also occurred.

Why? that is an easy one.

Okay, please share. Why?

blame game, nothing more

I see. So, you have no substantial answer.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Disclaimer:
Just to play devils advocate here for a minute (and no I'm not saying this wasn't a very tragic event).

It does seem that you judge the people of NO by stating that they are, in fact, "victims". There are others who would argue that they had over 50+ hours of prior warning to this event and for them to stay knowing what was about to happen was nothing short of stupidity.

The point of this arguement is simply to point out that everyone judes people to one degree or another.:)

Muff #5048

The Fed gov did not fail in NO …

Yes they did. Bush even admitted it. He just failed to accept responsibility for the failure as he promised to do.

… the local govs did [fail].

That also occurred.

Why? that is an easy one.

Okay, please share. Why?

blame game, nothing more

I see. So, you have no substantial answer.

Ohhh time to get snarky huh?:D

Keep placing and playing the race shit. I will continue to call you on the bull shit.

Next to blame:o

:D:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

… the ones raped in the Super Dome …

I seem to remember reading that those claims turned out to be not factually based.

You are correct. This was a media driven side show. Very little really happened at the dome that was reported to be happening
Abraham Lincoln

OR..... how about this one?

The governments (local and fed) learned their lessons by the screw ups during Katrina and got on this one in a quicker and more organized fashion.

Could be?

WHEEEE

WE finally agree on something....

WTF is going on... so many agreements in the last few days... the planets must have some kind of wierd alignment or sumpin.. me agreeing with other SC posters who I usually completely disagree with;)

It does seem that you judge the people of NO by stating that they are, in fact, "victims". There are others who would argue that they had over 50+ hours of prior warning to this event and for them to stay knowing what was about to happen was nothing short of stupidity.

Something I picked up in the short amount of time I spent in Florida is that some people won't ever evacuate a storm. I guess that has impacted my thinking and I consider them victims to the storm and flood.

Something I picked up in the short amount of time I spent in Florida is that some people won't ever evacuate a storm. I guess that has impacted my thinking and I consider them victims to the storm and flood.

That really isnt what I was getting at. Weather you believe them to be "victims" or "idiots" doesnt really matter much to me. Your judging the type of people they are either way.
Muff #5048

That really isnt what I was getting at. Weather you believe them to be "victims" or "idiots" doesnt really matter much to me. Your judging the type of people they are either way.

I never called anyone that choose to stay by any negative connotation. Adults make decisions that not everyone agrees with at times, I have no problems with that.

Just to be certain:

vic·tim (vĭk'tĭm) pronunciation
n.
1. One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.
2. A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite.
3. One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition: victims of war.
4. A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming.
5. A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.

I'm referring to #3 and I think you are trying to claim I am going for #4 which could border on judging. After the storm was done, too many NOLA residents also fell into #5.

Should we continue this redundancy? There is nothing buried in my word that is judging. You are trying to finding something that isn't there.

6th post of the thread. It is in the context of this thread.

But not in the context to the conversation in the post you replied to. :S

Great, then I guess I will have to learn to leave context out of my posts (or dirvert it like kallend and billvon):S
Abraham Lincoln

I think we are on 2 different waveleangths here. Weather they were "victims" or not makes no difference. But when you said:

not sure how anyone who wasn't there can sit back and judge them.

Then I came back and said you also judged them.

judg•ment
–noun
1. an act or instance of judging.
2. the ability to judge, make a decision, or form an opinion objectively, authoritatively, and wisely, esp. in matters affecting action; good sense; discretion
3. the demonstration or exercise of such ability or capacity
4. the forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances presented to the mind

I believe # 4 was what I was kind of leaning on here.
Muff #5048

Iowans had about a week of warning that the floods were certainly coming. New Orleaners had 3 days of warnings that the hurricane _might_ hit them.

Iowa activated their emergency plans. NO did not.

N'awlins got lotsa nigras. I'wer don't.

It's amazing how much faster their response is when the victims are white, eh?

Actually it's just amazing how much easier to stage relief efforts when you have a solid preplan, and more importantly, and easier to define incident area. As bad as FEMA did step on their on peckers in NOLA, the biggest issue is that they couldn't stage supplies near the city because no one knew for certain where the biggest need was going to be and you really can't park everything in the path of a Cat 5.
Granted, Hugo was the last big relief I worked and it was a smaller scale, but at least we had the ability to stage 4 hours from the coast and start rolling immediately. Katrina didn't allow that, she was to big, too mean, and too unpredictable to let them set up properly.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Iowans had about a week of warning that the floods were certainly coming. New Orleaners had 3 days of warnings that the hurricane _might_ hit them.

Nice - funny how it's only the LIBERALS (you know, the party that *supposedly* stands up for minorities) that keep trying to make that association.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's amazing how much faster their response is when the victims are white, eh?

Actually it's just amazing how much easier to stage relief efforts when you have a solid preplan, and more importantly, and easier to define incident area. As bad as FEMA did step on their on peckers in NOLA, the biggest issue is that they couldn't stage supplies near the city because no one knew for certain where the biggest need was going to be and you really can't park everything in the path of a Cat 5.
Granted, Hugo was the last big relief I worked and it was a smaller scale, but at least we had the ability to stage 4 hours from the coast and start rolling immediately. Katrina didn't allow that, she was to big, too mean, and too unpredictable to let them set up properly.

One of the things that really helped Cedar Rapids was , as you correctly point out, their plan. A contributing reason to thier plan being so effective. And thier emergency center is larger than most because of? Dwane Arnold Nuclear Center in Palo Iowa just north of CR. Because of the Nuc plant the plan required is also drilled yearly. Because of the plant and FERC requirements.

So, maybe the response was better because of this and not the population is more white:S
Abraham Lincoln

Nice - funny how it's only the LIBERALS (you know, the party that *supposedly* stands up for minorities) that keep trying to make that association.

He's been watching Bill Maher too long:D

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Speak about pre-planning...... Wasn't it the Mayor of New Orleans that had access to city buses and declined to use them for evacuation even after his office officials proposed it?!?!?:S

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Speak about pre-planning...... Wasn't it the Mayor of New Orleans that had access to city buses and declined to use them for evacuation even after his office officials proposed it?!?!?:S

Yup - they also never practiced the plan and did not have any sort of call-in roster for the bus drivers, as I understand it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've always felt the more complicated the explanation the more BS was involved.

OMG, I think I have a new simple rule going forward in life. I love it! LOL! :DB|

"There is always an easy solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong." H.L. Mencken

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.