Zep

CERN LHC (Large Hadron Collider)

So in August they will be going ahead an firing the proton beams,
It will be interesting to see what happens, If the physicists have calculate correctly
they'll have a full three course meal of information to digest.
If they've got it wrong nobody's going to be enjoying any meals,
Oh, except for the black hole thats going to gobble us all up.

Is understanding the origin of the universe so important.

Wonder what Billvon an the Prof have to say.

Gone fishing

It is my understanding that 'if', and a big 'if' it is, a black hole is created, it would be microscopic and extremly short-lived. Not much to worry about there.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

>Oh, except for the black hole thats going to gobble us all up.

I recall a similar fear that the first nuclear test would begin nitrogen fusion in the atmosphere, leading to the entire atmosphere of the earth burning away. They ran the test anyway.

The odds against:

1) the formation of a tiny black hole
2) its continued existence despite emission of Hawking radiation
3) an ability to actually "gobble" anything

are far smaller than the odds of a runaway fusion event in 1945.

It is my understanding that 'if', and a big 'if' it is, a black hole is created, it would be microscopic and extremly short-lived. Not much to worry about there.

An if the Strangelets don't behave as expected what then,
After all it is all theoretical physics

Gone fishing

It will be interesting to see what happens, If the physicists have calculate correctly

Risk vs rewards on this aren't even in the ball park of worrying about.

Yes, understanding the universe is well worth the 1/10^googleplex risk of making an infinitesimally small black hole that would fizzle out in less than a billionth of a second.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You must not have seen the movie. A black hole is like a big rotating funnel made of black graph paper and white lines that makes a deep resonant sucking noise; and really really wants to consume Ernest Borgnine. Was that not the death knell for his career?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

My understanding is that first runs will be for working out the bugs, ironing out the wrinkles and all that rot.

As with the biggest telescopes, where first light is still a ways from fully operational; we probably won't see anything spectacular for a while.

"I got your massive vector boson right here Sunshine." - Riker to Q
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Hey since you are closer.. let us know when your front door gets sucked off as it flies off to Switzerland to add to the mass in the black hole.

What with the crisis we're going through I'm more worried about the time dilation aspect,
cause if things get any slower than they already are I'm going to be up shit creek with out a paddle

Gone fishing

Science has long been constrained by Society's (in)ability to keep up....;)

Anyway, on behalf of my inner geek, here's a few pics of some of the LHC segments before installation, the CMS detector end piece before it was lowered and a stock shot of a part of the LHC's 27km circumference ring, 100m underground.

xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

doc.cern.ch/yellowrep/2003/2003-001/p1.pdf

A black hole produced by the LHC would have about the same mass as one atom, and hence the same gravitational field. It would decay immediately in a burst of Hawking radiation.

I'd worry more about being struck by lightning.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is pretty amazing stuff. Just getting a vocabulary up and running must have been an incredible challenge.

Its bigger than that, they've brought about whole new (sub)fields in physics just to make it happen, let alone new vocabulary!

The cryogenics system is unbelievable (Nice one Michel!) and means that the LHC can and will be the coldest place in the universe.

Its all pretty mind blowing stuff even if you're a geek and the scale is completely unprecedented. (As you might be able to tell, I had an awesome time at CERN;)).
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."