rushmc

Supreme Court Upholds Indiana photo voter ID law

My concern is those (admittedly few) without an acceptable ID being turned away from voting booths. I would like to see some safeguard in place to keep that from happening.

There is a safeguard that allows those persons to vote with a provisional ballot and, within ten days, present evidence of identity.

my driver license is not issued by the same state in which I'm registered to vote.

I don't think that the law made any exceptions. At least it did not appear to be anything that the court looked at.

But it is a valid point. Again, I see the points on all sides. I can see the possibilities of those who are entitled to vote but left their wallets at home.

I can also tell you that having worked in retail, there were PLENTY of people that were frustrated when I asked to see ID with their credit cards.

Nobody seems to object at having to show ID to buy beer - we all know that people who shouldn't be buying beer will buy beer.

And yet, we'll trust people with things like votes without making sure that the person hadn't seen a person on the obituary page last month.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

And yet, we'll trust people with things like votes without making sure that the person hadn't seen a person on the obituary page last month.

Valid point.. but wouldn't it be a better idea to revamp the whole corrupt system...

Making sure there are one or two votes cast fraudulently.. when Diebold etc can cast whatever vote count they want to support whatever candidate they want scares me far more.

Or another case.. of municipalities providing state of the art machines.. in high numbers in affluent upcale conservative precincts...

and outdated broken machines in inadequate numbers in poor working class precincts.

Seems to me that is not in keeping up with the spirit of our represenative democracy very well.

Another valid point. Simply put, there is no one good system that is foolproof (as demonstrated in 200 in Florida - fools swearing they voted for the wrong guy) or outside of the influence of the administrators (as seen in Florida in 2000).

Scantrons hav eworked great in colleges and high school for decades. But we'll be litigating incomplete erasures.

Punched ballots work fine - except for those who cannot seem to check to make sure that the hole went all the way through.

Computer systems? They can be hacked and poorly debugged.

Etc. Etc.

One thing we CAN do is make sure that voters are who they say they are.

I think it's stupid. I thought so the first time i had to show my i.d. I had a voter registration card isn't that enough. I am not even worried about it now I think they are all corrupt so i am not voting.

There is a problem without some kind of second verification. In Florida, our signature is checked against one already on record.

so is there any forms of aproved ID that people can get in the state at no cost ? or is it now a price to pay to vote ?

Isn't the right to vote worth giving up a six pack of Schlitz Malt Liquor for a night, just to get an ID?

And then it will be a national id.....then it will have biometric data..... next thing you know it has all of your political information tied to it...your medical records....your buying history of products....RFID technology embedded to you can be tracked 24/7....

SLiipery slope should only be for skiing and snowboarding. ( and maybe a laittle ground launching thrown in)

How do yall feel about just getting down to the local police station for your tattoo's on your forheads??? Of do you think we will just get an embedded chip put in us at birth.

For someone who claims to hate religion, it sure looks like you've bought into the end time, scare tactics of the Book of Revelation.

I just wonder why so many people are against ensuring that those registered to vote in a precinct, are indeed the ones doing the voting?

Like someone said, you have to show ID to buy smokes, alcohol, and to get into many bars/clubs... I think voting is just a LITTLE more important than those activities. It takes a second to show the nice little old lady at the voting station my ID. See what I said? SHOW. They don't scan it, copy it, or even take it out of my hand.
Oh, hello again!

It takes a second to show the nice little old lady at the voting station my ID. See what I said? SHOW. They don't scan it, copy it, or even take it out of my hand.

In other words - it's as meaningless as the requirement to take your shoes off at the airport? All show, no go?

I just wonder why so many people are against ensuring that those registered to vote in a precinct, are indeed the ones doing the voting?

Like someone said, you have to show ID to buy smokes, alcohol, and to get into many bars/clubs... I think voting is just a LITTLE more important than those activities. It takes a second to show the nice little old lady at the voting station my ID. See what I said? SHOW. They don't scan it, copy it, or even take it out of my hand.

There is a reason it is being fought. It has not been mentioned here however.

Nice post by the way
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Isn't the right to vote worth giving up a six pack of Schlitz Malt Liquor for a night, just to get an ID?

Wouldn't that make voting a privilege and not a right?

No more so than the requirement to register to vote.

For someone who claims to hate religion

See, if you actually READ what I write.. instead of ASSuming certain things you want so hard to believe about me, you would know that I do not hate religion at all.
I do not care for organized religions that bleed people dry of resources they need... who can ill afford it... while the pastor is living high on the hog.

So no I have not claimed to hate religion...even after spending 8 long years in parochial schools where I recieved a very good education.

No more so than the requirement to register to vote.

Except that registering is free.

So, too, is the ID card.

Next argument is that people should get reimbursed for the cost to drive to the polling stations :S

"OMG, we are disenfranchising those people that can't afford transportation"

it never stops

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Next argument is that people should get reimbursed for the cost to drive to the polling stations

No doubt that employers will be required to pay the cost of it in advance, as well as four hours paid off on election day - except for government workers.

So, too, is the ID card.

Not in any state I've ever lived in. A voter registration card is free, but there has always been a charge for an ID card.

In Illinois a state ID card is $20, and a drivers license is $10. Figure that out!

An Indiana ID card is $13, so you do indeed have to pay for the right to vote in Indiana.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Next argument is that people should get reimbursed for the cost to drive to the polling stations

No doubt that employers will be required to pay the cost of it in advance, as well as four hours paid off on election day - except for government workers.

I see, you just want to disenfranchise the unemployed. :P

(see the next step? eventually, taxes will pay for it all. Then it'll be ok, because you aren't paying to vote, instead OTHER people will be paying for you to vote.

we can call it "Free" voting

and this makes sense to alot of people[:/]

On the plus side, the dems already have submitted this plan for legislative approval and include the caviat that those people that vote multiple times in the same election will be "reimbursed" for each time they vote :P)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

include the caviat that those people that vote multiple times in the same election will be "reimbursed" for each time they vote :P)

Vote early, vote often...it's the Chicago way!! :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

An Indiana ID card is $13, so you do indeed have to pay for the right to vote in Indiana.

You would have been correct in 2005. Not now.

Indiana offers free photo identification to qualified voters able to establish their residenceand identity. §9–24–16–10(b) (West Supp. 2007).

Indiana previously imposed a fee on all residents seeking a state-issued photo identification. At the same time that the Indiana Legislature enacted SEA 483, it also directed the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to remove all fees for state-issued photo identification for individuals without a driver’s license who are at least 18 years old. See 2005 Ind. Acts p. 2017, §18.

Yawn. Next?

On the plus side, the dems already have submitted this plan for legislative approval and include the caviat that those people that vote multiple times in the same election will be "reimbursed" for each time they vote )

For what party?

Another Rescumlican solution in search of a problem - except that the problem does not exist now, and never has.

Show me proof of calculated voter fraud that is directly linked to the absence of ID at a polling place.
Not the occasional one-off incident.
I am talking about WIDESPREAD fraudulent activites, which the Indiana legislation was supposed to resolve. It wasn't happenning.

Look up Kennedy's article in Rolling Stone on the success of the rescumlican efforts in 2004. Look up the successful vote caging (an illegal tactic that is supposed to be prevented by the Justice dept, states don't have jurisdiction) that the rescums pulled off in 2000, 2004, and 2006. THOSE are examples of voter fraud that have NOT BEEN ADDRESSED by any means at all.

What is likely to occur is that the rescumlicans will try to push this bullshit to all 50 states. This will successfully prevent poor people in large cities (they don't tend to get drivers licenses as they don't need them) and old people who quit driving, from voting.

It just so happens that my MOTHER is one of the people who gave up her drivers license. She has an old passport that has been enough ID to get her by. Now she is going to have to line up a day to get my sister to drive her to the local goverment agency to get a unexpired picture ID to ensure that she can vote. The cost for the ID will be $25.00, so that she can vote. If that isn't a poll tax, I don't know what is.

BRILLIANT OUTCOME. The Rescums are cackling with glee, with the idiot sheeple cheering them on.

The outcome is totally clear IF YOU HAVE A FUCKING CLUE, you morons. Poor and elderly people will be prevented from voting. Those folks do tend to vote reliably Democratic. Preventing them from voting gives the rescums another tool to lie, cheat and steal their way into power.

There are a whole lot of people in New York City and other major metropolitan areas that don't have drivers licenses. They don't need them.

It is all very well and good to say "I have an ID, whats the big deal?" This is a VERY BIG DEAL, if you understand what the rescums are doing. And the ignorant sheeple go along with it.

Everybody does NOT have a goverment issued ID. Most people do, but not all. Preventing that group of people from voting is Anti-American to the core.
SCOTUS has performed an end run around the 24th amendment.