Amazon

1.2 Billion dollars up in smoke

The crew made it out alive.. but...ooops there goes 1.2 BILLION.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23302483

Breaking News
MSNBC News Services
updated 29 minutes ago
This breaking news story will be updated as more information becomes available.

HAGATNA, Guam - A B-2 stealth bomber crashed at an air base on Guam on Saturday but both pilots ejected safely and were in good condition, the Air Force said.

"They have been evaluated by medical authorities and are in good condition," the military said in a statement. An Air Force spokeswoman was not immediately available for further details.

Each B-2 bomber costs about $1.2 billion to build. All 21 stealth bombers are based at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri but the Air Force has been rotating several of them along with B-1 and B-52 bombers through Guam since 2004.

The rotations are designed to boost the U.S. security presence in the Asia-Pacific region while other U.S. forces are diverted to fight in the Middle East.

From what I have read its so only got the fly by wire....

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-2-history.htm

Fly-by-wire means that you are flying the computers (four of them, in this case), not the control surfaces themselves. Quadruple redundancy means that, in effect, the four computers "vote" on the result of any given control input by the pilot—at least three must agree, and any anomaly is automatically thrown out. The beauty of a system like this is that all sorts of conditions and compensations can be programmed in. For example, the B-2’s bomb doors set up a huge amount of drag when they are opened. When a heavy bomb load is dropped, the plane will want to jump, yet the flight controls automatically compensate for both of these effects, and the pilot has only to operate the throttle. Similarly, the high-tech automatic pilot is theoretically capable of flying an entire mission profile, from takeoff to landing, with the pilot only providing the necessary power settings.

Maybe the computers got in a snit and forgot they were flying the plane

glad they got out...

too bad about the bird...

1.2 billion is chump- change, compared to over
1.2 TRILLION that went up, or is going up in smoke.....over there in Iraq...
plus the loss "over there" also includes thousands of american and coalition MEN and Women, who have either died, lost limbs, or lost their minds....[:/]>:(:|....
ALL of it is a tragedy.......
including this bomber...

interesting that it crashed On the airbase...
any word if it was during a take -off?? or landing???
what was the altitude for the ejection...???
( Good thing those seats, shoot UP.... especially if the handle is pulled, WAAAY below "cypres firing altitude")

war mongering DOES have it's price...

rant over

jmy

First, it's great that the pilots survived, and looks like they'll be fine in the long run. I hope they're flying again soon.

I wonder which B-2 it was? I imagine that would be a major consideration in finding out what might have happened.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/b-2.htm has a very thorough summary, including some redesign items that were done.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Well since there are only 20 some odd of the Spirit... there are FAR more chances with $20000 hammers and $5000 toilet seats

Having dealt with several Government contracts, I can say with confidence that the vendor probably LOST money selling those $5,000 Toilet seats by the time they got done with the RFQ, RFI and RFP and then the contracting process.

My Government customers always ask me if I have special Government pricing. Yep I tell them, Look at the Price sheet and add a Zero to all prices and I will still loose money on the deal.

I hope it was insured!

I don't. Buying insurance is like plying slot machines. You may come out out ahead in the short term (though probably not), but in the long term, the probability of losing money approaches 1.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Maybe the computers got in a snit and forgot they were flying the plane

thats along my line of thought.. or that a serious electrical problem (although i'm sure it has several redundant systems) pretty much means its a dead plane. I suppose it is the disadvantage in aircraft designs that are inherently unstable.

Oh well, a billion or two is nothing, I'm surprised it took this long before one crashed. The price tag covers the years of R&D, hangers, spare parts and engines, test equipment and all the other stuff you need to keep a plane flying. Working at Air Force Plant 42 in Palmdale Ca. I was able to watch the first flight of all the B-2's, I currently work on the worlds most expensive airplane, The Airborne Laser at close to 7 billion a pop.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

I wonder which plane it was. Some of these Whiteman birds have been in service since '93. (I know 15yrs is still young, but I honestly can't remember any other B2's crashing)

Spirit of Kansas, aircraft number 89-0127, built in 1989. Poor bird was almost 20 years old. [:/] She had been at Whiteman since 1995.